Pentium 4 retail heatsink Do I have to remove the gray col..

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Do I have to remove the gray coloured square tape on the bottom of the
heatsink before installing it on my retail pentium 4 3.0E
GHz??????Please advise.....Nothing in the diagram on the installation
mentioned about removing the gray tape below the heatsink

> Do I have to remove the gray coloured square tape on the bottom of the
> heatsink before installing it on my retail pentium 4 3.0E
> GHz??????Please advise.....Nothing in the diagram on the installation
> mentioned about removing the gray tape below the heatsink

The dark gray tape is TIM, Thermal Interface Material.
o It provides the same function as thermal compound (white goo)
o It is required to fill in the microscopic voids in the metal
---- two flat metal objects only contact perfectly at 3 tiny points
---- elsewhere are voids, microscopic, but still voids
---- voids are air-filled, a poor thermal conductor
---- TIM is a better conductor than air, and fills those voids

So no, do not remove it.
If you remove the heatsink later, however, you will need to remove it
and use either a new TIM pad or some thermal heatsink compound.

Vis, the gray coloured square is a "one-use" material.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan for quiet Panaflo fans & other items

On 24 Aug 2004 08:23:23 -0700, ngsteve@my-deja.com (Steve) wrote:

>Do I have to remove the gray coloured square tape on the bottom of the
>heatsink before installing it on my retail pentium 4 3.0E
>GHz??????Please advise.....Nothing in the diagram on the installation
>mentioned about removing the gray tape below the heatsink

I asked myself the same ques.

However I did not remove the tape. It is a thermally conductive
material and precludes the _need_ for mucky paste.

The system booted OK. As I was in test mode I did not run the
board/processor for more than a few minutes.

HTH and feel free to correct my assumption.

Clyde

Dianci Maichong wrote:

> On 24 Aug 2004 08:23:23 -0700, ngsteve@my-deja.com (Steve) wrote:
>

>>Do I have to remove the gray coloured square tape on the bottom of the
>>heatsink before installing it on my retail pentium 4 3.0E
>>GHz??????Please advise.....Nothing in the diagram on the installation
>>mentioned about removing the gray tape below the heatsink
>

> I asked myself the same ques.
>
> However I did not remove the tape. It is a thermally conductive
> material and precludes the _need_ for mucky paste.
>
> The system booted OK. As I was in test mode I did not run the
> board/processor for more than a few minutes.
>
> HTH and feel free to correct my assumption.

That "mucky paste" has one advantage that I recently learned -- It
doesn't get hard. That nice Intel thermal pad melts and glues the
processor and heat sink together. So, when I tried to pull the heat sink
off, it ripped the processor out of it's unreleased socket.

I'm not sure what happened, but I ruined the processor and the mobo by
doing this. The replacements have the nice "mucky paste" that should
release much better in the future.

Clyde

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:42:44 GMT, Clyde <lughclyde@attbi.comedy>
wrote:

>That "mucky paste" has one advantage that I recently learned -- It
>doesn't get hard. That nice Intel thermal pad melts and glues the
>processor and heat sink together. So, when I tried to pull the heat sink
>off, it ripped the processor out of it's unreleased socket.
>
>I'm not sure what happened, but I ruined the processor and the mobo by
>doing this. The replacements have the nice "mucky paste" that should
>release much better in the future.

There is little if anything better about the original TIM,
except:

1) No additinal "supplies" needed to install CPU.

2) Intel can control this aspect of uniform application.

Otherwise, any experienced user removes the TIM before it even
melts that first time and has to be cleaned off of the CPU too.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Yes I guess that the gray colour stuff is thermal paste and have
installed the heatsink on top of the intel 3.0E with the gray stuff.My
CPU temperature can sometimes go up to 51 degree celcius. Is that
normal? I didn,t install other fans other than the heatsink and my 2
fan powersupply

wrote:

>Dianci Maichong wrote:
>
>> On 24 Aug 2004 08:23:23 -0700, ngsteve@my-deja.com (Steve) wrote:
>>

>>>Do I have to remove the gray coloured square tape on the bottom of the
>>>heatsink before installing it on my retail pentium 4 3.0E
>>>GHz??????Please advise.....Nothing in the diagram on the installation
>>>mentioned about removing the gray tape below the heatsink
>>

>> I asked myself the same ques.
>>
>> However I did not remove the tape. It is a thermally conductive
>> material and precludes the _need_ for mucky paste.
>>
>> The system booted OK. As I was in test mode I did not run the
>> board/processor for more than a few minutes.
>>
>> HTH and feel free to correct my assumption.
>
>That "mucky paste" has one advantage that I recently learned -- It
>doesn't get hard. That nice Intel thermal pad melts and glues the
>processor and heat sink together. So, when I tried to pull the heat sink
>off, it ripped the processor out of it's unreleased socket.
>
>I'm not sure what happened, but I ruined the processor and the mobo by
>doing this. The replacements have the nice "mucky paste" that should
>release much better in the future.
>
>Clyde

I have now reconsidered, based on your experience.

thank you for the heads-up

kony wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:42:44 GMT, Clyde <lughclyde@attbi.comedy>
> wrote:
>

>>That "mucky paste" has one advantage that I recently learned -- It
>>doesn't get hard. That nice Intel thermal pad melts and glues the
>>processor and heat sink together. So, when I tried to pull the heat sink
>>off, it ripped the processor out of it's unreleased socket.
>>
>>I'm not sure what happened, but I ruined the processor and the mobo by
>>doing this. The replacements have the nice "mucky paste" that should
>>release much better in the future.
>

> There is little if anything better about the original TIM,
> except:
>
> 1) No additinal "supplies" needed to install CPU.
>
> 2) Intel can control this aspect of uniform application.
>
> Otherwise, any experienced user removes the TIM before it even
> melts that first time and has to be cleaned off of the CPU too.
What would be the best thing to clean this, or indeed the goo??
Graham A+

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:47:15 +0100, Graham Chapman
<grahamchapman@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>> Otherwise, any experienced user removes the TIM before it even
>> melts that first time and has to be cleaned off of the CPU too.

>What would be the best thing to clean this, or indeed the goo??

Petroleum based solvent

Popular choices include "Goo Gone", WD40, Gasoline, or if
you want to polish while you remove, Brasso.

kony wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:47:15 +0100, Graham Chapman
> <grahamchapman@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>>Otherwise, any experienced user removes the TIM before it even
>>>melts that first time and has to be cleaned off of the CPU too.
>

>>What would be the best thing to clean this, or indeed the goo??
>

> Petroleum based solvent
>
> Popular choices include "Goo Gone", WD40, Gasoline, or if
> you want to polish while you remove, Brasso.

I use Isopropylalcohol (70 %).

Roy

TRENDING THREADS