power or mainboard problem?

I had an Epox EP8-RDA which I recently discovered had some of the
faulty capacitors on it. It ran quite well for almost 2 years, up
until about a month ago. I sent it in under RMA and received the
another of the same item back, (either rebuilt or previously
returned).

I popped it in and turned it on. On first power up it was okay, the
bios complained about a changed chip so I entered the bios setup
utility.

After about 3 minutes of uptime it suddenly dropped. Now when I press
the power button the onboard POST led will flash for a second and all
the fans will begin to rotate. But only for the moment that my finger
is on the button. If I happen to leave my finger on for more than a
second (I know this is probably REALLY BAD) the POST led
blink,blink,blink.

I'm having a tough time figuring out what the problem could be and am
looking for pointers. What really perplexes me is that the thing was
up for almost three minutes. Could the cpu get too hot maybe? The
heatsink doesn't feel very warm. I had carefully(!) wiped off all the
old thermal paste and applied new. Could it be that the cpu was
dammaged by the bad board? Would it come up to the bios config
utility if the cpu was faulty?

Thanks for any info or ideas.

DGM