ide drives on sata raid?

Does anyone know where I can get ide to sata connectors in the uk? Tried
dabs, ebuyer etc but cant locate (unless I'm looking in the wrong place)

Going to have to change my mobo and currently have x2 80g Barracudas in a
ide raid array, but all the raid solutions on current (socket A) mobos seem
to be sata only and I dont want to have to replace drives as well. Or should
I just forget raid and just put them both on an ide channell - will I notice
the performance hit?
3 answers Last reply
More about drives sata raid

    "Andy Orange" <cd5@fairlight3.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know where I can get ide to sata connectors in the uk? Tried
    > dabs, ebuyer etc but cant locate (unless I'm looking in the wrong place)
    >
    > Going to have to change my mobo and currently have x2 80g Barracudas in a
    > ide raid array, but all the raid solutions on current (socket A) mobos
    > seem
    > to be sata only and I dont want to have to replace drives as well. Or
    > should
    > I just forget raid and just put them both on an ide channell - will I
    > notice
    > the performance hit?

    I think you will find there are still a fair few socket a boards out there
    with IDE raid.
    Gigabyte GA-7NNXP for one.

    SteveH

    In article <41304782$0$29926$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, Andy Orange
    says...
    > Does anyone know where I can get ide to sata connectors in the uk? Tried
    > dabs, ebuyer etc but cant locate (unless I'm looking in the wrong place)
    >
    > Going to have to change my mobo and currently have x2 80g Barracudas in a
    > ide raid array, but all the raid solutions on current (socket A) mobos seem
    > to be sata only and I dont want to have to replace drives as well. Or should
    > I just forget raid and just put them both on an ide channell - will I notice
    > the performance hit?

    You're probably going to need to rebuild the RAID array anyway when you
    change controllers.

    A home user won't really notice the advantage of using RAID and you
    only get a performance increase using them as "striping" which is like
    payng twice the money for half the reliability.

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.

    "Andy Orange" <cd5@fairlight3.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know where I can get ide to sata connectors in the uk? Tried
    > dabs, ebuyer etc but cant locate (unless I'm looking in the wrong place)
    >
    > Going to have to change my mobo and currently have x2 80g Barracudas in a
    > ide raid array, but all the raid solutions on current (socket A) mobos
    seem
    > to be sata only and I dont want to have to replace drives as well. Or
    should
    > I just forget raid and just put them both on an ide channell - will I
    notice
    > the performance hit?

    Hi Andy,

    I was wondering if you've considered the possibility of getting a PCI RAID
    card (e.g., a Promise card) instead? That would allow you to use the IDE
    drives that you have now, plus I've seen kind of mixed comments about
    SATA-to-IDE adapters.

    Jim

Homebuilt NAS / RAID SATA Systems