replacing laptop hd

what should i look for in teh new one? is it only height and screw distance
that are important?.

also, how do i fit it to the caddy ? is it just a case of screw the
connecter to the ribbon?

jk

strawberry wrote:

> what should i look for in teh new one?

If you want great performance, go for a 7200 rpm one.

"strawberry" <1@2.com> wrote in message
> what should i look for in teh new one? is it only height and screw
distance
> that are important?.
>
> also, how do i fit it to the caddy ? is it just a case of screw the
> connecter to the ribbon?

Hi,

I think that the IDE connector is standard, so basically, the three main
things that you have to worry about are:

1) Height: If you get a 9.5mm drive, that should work in all laptops.

2) BIOS: You didn't mention which laptop you're working with. Some older
laptops' BIOSes can only support up to 'x' MBs, so you should check what
your laptop's BIOS supports before deciding to get a larger drive.

3) Accessibility: On some laptops, you have to partially disassemble the
case to get to the drive. On others, there's a cover you remove, then the
drive+caddy assembly pulls out. You should try to find out about this
beforehand, because disassembling a laptop case is not for the faint of
heart :).

On the laptops that I've worked on, there is no cable between the drive and
the laptop...the IDE connector on the drive plugs into a connector inside
the laptop.

Assuming accessbility is easy, basically, you remove the cover, pull the
drive+caddy assembly out, unscrew the drive from the caddy, attach the new
drive to the caddy, slip the whole thing back into the laptop, and close the
cover.

Jim