Same problem - Two different base units

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.pc.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Hi guys

I am completely baffled with this problem

I have two separate base units, both run a AMD Athlon processor. I think one
is a 600mhz, the other is a 700mhz...

When I switch either one on, there is NO signal to the monitor screen.

There are NO error beeps from the motherboards whatsoever

I have tried swapping the VGA cards.... the RAM.... and the Hard Drive
units, to try to help get variations on the problem... but the same thing
always happens on both

I know that the monitor screen works fine, because I have a 3rd base unit,
which works a dream, Just these two are a problem

To help - One of the base units started experiencing this problem, when I
added a stick of ram.

I hope someone out there can give me some ideas, as to what to try...

I look forward to hearing from you

Thanks for your time, in advanced

Ravi Sandhu
6 answers Last reply
More about same problem base units
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.pc.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Ravi Sandhu" <ravisandhu@mail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi guys
    >
    > I am completely baffled with this problem
    >
    > I have two separate base units, both run a AMD Athlon processor. I think
    one
    > is a 600mhz, the other is a 700mhz...
    >
    > When I switch either one on, there is NO signal to the monitor screen.
    >
    > There are NO error beeps from the motherboards whatsoever
    >
    > I have tried swapping the VGA cards.... the RAM.... and the Hard Drive
    > units, to try to help get variations on the problem... but the same thing
    > always happens on both
    >
    > I know that the monitor screen works fine, because I have a 3rd base unit,
    > which works a dream, Just these two are a problem
    >
    > To help - One of the base units started experiencing this problem, when I
    > added a stick of ram.
    >
    > I hope someone out there can give me some ideas, as to what to try...
    >
    > I look forward to hearing from you
    >
    > Thanks for your time, in advanced
    >
    > Ravi Sandhu

    Do they each have their own power supply? -Dave
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.pc.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    The motherboards may be contacting the case or a loose screw.
    Check the motherboards, and also try nudging them a bit away
    from the case. Also make sure the CPU and vid card are seated
    okay, and that the CPU fans are working.

    Also, when you turn off the system, wait a few minutes before
    powering it back on.

    "Ravi Sandhu" <ravisandhu@mail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi guys
    >
    > I am completely baffled with this problem
    >
    > I have two separate base units, both run a AMD Athlon processor. I think one
    > is a 600mhz, the other is a 700mhz...
    >
    > When I switch either one on, there is NO signal to the monitor screen.
    >
    > There are NO error beeps from the motherboards whatsoever
    >
    > I have tried swapping the VGA cards.... the RAM.... and the Hard Drive
    > units, to try to help get variations on the problem... but the same thing
    > always happens on both
    >
    > I know that the monitor screen works fine, because I have a 3rd base unit,
    > which works a dream, Just these two are a problem
    >
    > To help - One of the base units started experiencing this problem, when I
    > added a stick of ram.
    >
    > I hope someone out there can give me some ideas, as to what to try...
    >
    > I look forward to hearing from you
    >
    > Thanks for your time, in advanced
    >
    > Ravi Sandhu

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.pc.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Ravi Sandhu" <ravisandhu@mail.com> wrote in

    > Hi guys
    >
    > I am completely baffled with this problem
    >
    > I have two separate base units, both run a AMD Athlon processor. I
    > think one is a 600mhz, the other is a 700mhz...
    >
    > When I switch either one on, there is NO signal to the monitor screen.
    >
    > There are NO error beeps from the motherboards whatsoever

    Have you tried clearing the CMOS (BIOS) settings by moving the jumper on
    the motherboard? The jumper should be on pin 1-2, which is the Normal
    position. Pins 2-3 is the Clear position. Place the jumper on pins 2-3
    for 60 seconds, (normally it doesn't take this long, its just for good
    measure) then place the jumper back on pins 1-2. Be sure to unplug the
    power supply before doing this. If it boots, go into BIOS and load the
    default settings and reboot. Check to see if your clock is keeping time;
    the batteries may need to be replaced. Hope this works for you.

    --
    pat - pat(underscore)blank(at)hotmail(dot)com
    "The examined life is no picnic." - Robert Fulghum

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:53:24 GMT, "Ravi Sandhu"
    <ravisandhu@mail.com> wrote:

    >Hi guys
    >
    >I am completely baffled with this problem
    >
    >I have two separate base units, both run a AMD Athlon processor. I think one
    >is a 600mhz, the other is a 700mhz...
    >
    >When I switch either one on, there is NO signal to the monitor screen.
    >
    >There are NO error beeps from the motherboards whatsoever
    >
    >I have tried swapping the VGA cards.... the RAM.... and the Hard Drive
    >units, to try to help get variations on the problem... but the same thing
    >always happens on both
    >
    >I know that the monitor screen works fine, because I have a 3rd base unit,
    >which works a dream, Just these two are a problem
    >
    >To help - One of the base units started experiencing this problem, when I
    >added a stick of ram.
    >
    >I hope someone out there can give me some ideas, as to what to try...
    >
    >I look forward to hearing from you
    >
    >Thanks for your time, in advanced
    >
    >Ravi Sandhu

    Are they overclocked?

    Are ambient room temps lower than usual (or at least lower than
    previously, at a time when they seemed to POST consistently)?

    Do these two systems use same motherboard make/model or not?
    What make/model motherboard is it?

    Do they have generic power supplies in them or decent
    name-brands? What make/models?

    The one started having problems after adding memory you wrote,
    but does removing module then result in consistent posting again?

    You might examine motherboard for signs of capacitor failure-
    domed, vented, swollen, leaky residue around top or base of
    larger capacitors around the CPU socket, AGP slot, or memory
    slots would be the most common cap failure points on a board. If
    you feel motivated to do so you might also unplug power supply
    from AC for at least a few minutes then open and inspect it as
    well.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.pc.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Yes each with seperate power supply....

    "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

    > "Ravi Sandhu" <ravisandhu@mail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi guys
    >>
    >> I am completely baffled with this problem
    >>
    >> I have two separate base units, both run a AMD Athlon processor. I think
    > one
    >> is a 600mhz, the other is a 700mhz...
    >>
    >> When I switch either one on, there is NO signal to the monitor screen.
    >>
    >> There are NO error beeps from the motherboards whatsoever
    >>
    >> I have tried swapping the VGA cards.... the RAM.... and the Hard Drive
    >> units, to try to help get variations on the problem... but the same thing
    >> always happens on both
    >>
    >> I know that the monitor screen works fine, because I have a 3rd base
    >> unit,
    >> which works a dream, Just these two are a problem
    >>
    >> To help - One of the base units started experiencing this problem, when I
    >> added a stick of ram.
    >>
    >> I hope someone out there can give me some ideas, as to what to try...
    >>
    >> I look forward to hearing from you
    >>
    >> Thanks for your time, in advanced
    >>
    >> Ravi Sandhu
    >>

    > Do they each have their own power supply? -Dave

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.pc.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    voltage selector is incorrect?

    > Yes each with seperate power supply....
    >
    > "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Ravi Sandhu" <ravisandhu@mail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi guys
    > >>
    > >> I am completely baffled with this problem
    > >>
    > >> I have two separate base units, both run a AMD Athlon processor.
    I think
    > > one
    > >> is a 600mhz, the other is a 700mhz...
    > >>
    > >> When I switch either one on, there is NO signal to the monitor
    screen.

    > >> There are NO error beeps from the motherboards whatsoever
    > >>
    > >> I have tried swapping the VGA cards.... the RAM.... and the Hard
    Drive
    > >> units, to try to help get variations on the problem... but the
    same thing
    > >> always happens on both
    > >>
    > >> I know that the monitor screen works fine, because I have a 3rd
    base
    > >> unit,
    > >> which works a dream, Just these two are a problem
    > >>
    > >> To help - One of the base units started experiencing this
    problem, when I
    > >> added a stick of ram.
    > >>
    > >> I hope someone out there can give me some ideas, as to what to
    try...

    > >> I look forward to hearing from you
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for your time, in advanced
    > >>
    > >> Ravi Sandhu
    > >>

    > > Do they each have their own power supply? -Dave

Homebuilt Hardware Systems