Juggling hard drives and using Ghost

geoff

I am helping a friend to change his hdd from a working 20Gb
to a roomier 120Gb. I partitioned the larger drive and put a
ghost image of his C:\ drive on the second partition testing
it for integrity, which was OK. I then made the 120 master
by jumpers and disconnected the 20Gb drive. The new C drive
made it to the windows XP logo but not the welcome screen.
Swapping them over again to make the 120 the slave this time
I used The Ultimate Boot Disk to see if it (the 120) would
boot as the second drive, which it did. So the image was
restored ok and all was visible from My Computer. I suspect
that it all has something to do with the drive letter not
being C:\ but cannot think how to change it at the moment. I
have used fixmbr from the repair consul but that didn't work
either. I think I am 99% there but anyone know how I should
proceed now?

Thanks

Geoff

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Geoff wrote:
> I am helping a friend to change his hdd from a working 20Gb
> to a roomier 120Gb. I partitioned the larger drive and put a
> ghost image of his C:\ drive on the second partition testing
> it for integrity, which was OK. I then made the 120 master
> by jumpers and disconnected the 20Gb drive. The new C drive
> made it to the windows XP logo but not the welcome screen.
> Swapping them over again to make the 120 the slave this time
> I used The Ultimate Boot Disk to see if it (the 120) would
> boot as the second drive, which it did. So the image was
> restored ok and all was visible from My Computer. I suspect
> that it all has something to do with the drive letter not
> being C:\ but cannot think how to change it at the moment. I
> have used fixmbr from the repair consul but that didn't work
> either. I think I am 99% there but anyone know how I should
> proceed now?
>
> Thanks
>
> Geoff

I think you are correct in that your 120 drive has what is called a
signature written to it by XP reflecting the old drive. If you will
search for newsgroup messages mentioning XP, and Signature, you will
probably find a way to correct it. One such way is with a program
called BOOTIT NG or BING.

> I am helping a friend to change his hdd from a working 20Gb
> to a roomier 120Gb. I partitioned the larger drive and put a
> ghost image of his C:\ drive on the second partition testing
> it for integrity, which was OK. I then made the 120 master
> by jumpers and disconnected the 20Gb drive. The new C drive
> made it to the windows XP logo but not the welcome screen.
> Swapping them over again to make the 120 the slave this time
> I used The Ultimate Boot Disk to see if it (the 120) would
> boot as the second drive, which it did. So the image was
> restored ok and all was visible from My Computer. I suspect
> that it all has something to do with the drive letter not
> being C:\ but cannot think how to change it at the moment. I
> have used fixmbr from the repair consul but that didn't work
> either. I think I am 99% there but anyone know how I should
> proceed now?
>
> Thanks
>
> Geoff

Try using a windows 98 boot disc and issue the fdisk /mbr command. This
worked for me with exactly the same scenario that you have.

MJP

geoff

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:32:48 +0100, "MJP"
<mjpjunk32@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> I am helping a friend to change his hdd from a working 20Gb
>> to a roomier 120Gb. I partitioned the larger drive and put a
>> ghost image of his C:\ drive on the second partition testing
>> it for integrity, which was OK. I then made the 120 master
>> by jumpers and disconnected the 20Gb drive. The new C drive
>> made it to the windows XP logo but not the welcome screen.
>> Swapping them over again to make the 120 the slave this time
>> I used The Ultimate Boot Disk to see if it (the 120) would
>> boot as the second drive, which it did. So the image was
>> restored ok and all was visible from My Computer. I suspect
>> that it all has something to do with the drive letter not
>> being C:\ but cannot think how to change it at the moment. I
>> have used fixmbr from the repair consul but that didn't work
>> either. I think I am 99% there but anyone know how I should
>> proceed now?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Geoff
>

>Try using a windows 98 boot disc and issue the fdisk /mbr command. This
>worked for me with exactly the same scenario that you have.
>
>MJP

I will try that too, many thanks!

Geoff