Intel 815 mb and SDRAM recognition

I have purchased 2 512MB SDRAM modules for my Intel D815EFV motherboard.
When I boot the machine the bios only recognizes one of the 512mb
modules. Both modules are "good" ones as I've tested them and they work
fine individually.

Intel states on their support site that the bios only initializes the
first 512mb of RAM. However, I'm curious, is it possible for Windows XP
to recognize the 2nd module, even though the bios does not initialize
it? I don't understand how to check this or I'd do it.

Thank you very much in advance for helping me with this.

- David Kistner
3 answers Last reply
More about intel sdram recognition

    "David Kistner" <spamcatcher1@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >I have purchased 2 512MB SDRAM modules for my Intel D815EFV motherboard.
    >When I boot the machine the bios only recognizes one of the 512mb modules.
    >Both modules are "good" ones as I've tested them and they work fine
    >individually.
    >
    > Intel states on their support site that the bios only initializes the
    > first 512mb of RAM. However, I'm curious, is it possible for Windows XP
    > to recognize the 2nd module, even though the bios does not initialize it?
    > I don't understand how to check this or I'd do it.
    >
    > Thank you very much in advance for helping me with this.
    >
    > - David Kistner

    Hi,

    The 815 Chipset is limited to 512MB of RAM. This limitation is a design
    limitation of the chipset, as it only has enough physical address lines for
    512MB. Windows XP will not alter this limitation, as the chipset is not
    electrically able to access more than 512MB.

    The FAQ question below also says that the board is supoposedly limited to
    256MB modules, so in your case, the board is probably only using half of
    each module... But you did say they each worked fine individually......NFI..

    The following text taken direct from Intel FAQ page for this board:

    What memory configurations are supported on the Intel® Desktop Boards
    D815EFV and D815EPFV?
    Desktop Boards D815EFV and D815EPFV have slots for three 168-pin unbuffered
    Dual Inline Memory Modules (DIMMs) and can support a minimum system memory
    configuration of 64 MB and a maximum configuration of 512 MB of PC-133
    SDRAM. Desktop Boards D815EFV and D815EPFV support DIMM sizes of 16 MB, 32
    MB, 64 MB, and 128 MB using 64-Mbit device technology and 256 MB using
    128-Mbit device technology.

    Cheers,

    John S.

    Muttley wrote:

    > "David Kistner" <spamcatcher1@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > >I have purchased 2 512MB SDRAM modules for my Intel D815EFV motherboard.
    > >When I boot the machine the bios only recognizes one of the 512mb modules.
    > >Both modules are "good" ones as I've tested them and they work fine
    > >individually.
    > >
    > > Intel states on their support site that the bios only initializes the
    > > first 512mb of RAM. However, I'm curious, is it possible for Windows XP
    > > to recognize the 2nd module, even though the bios does not initialize it?
    > > I don't understand how to check this or I'd do it.
    > >
    > > Thank you very much in advance for helping me with this.
    > >
    > > - David Kistner
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > The 815 Chipset is limited to 512MB of RAM. This limitation is a design
    > limitation of the chipset, as it only has enough physical address lines for
    > 512MB. Windows XP will not alter this limitation, as the chipset is not
    > electrically able to access more than 512MB.
    >
    > The FAQ question below also says that the board is supoposedly limited to
    > 256MB modules, so in your case, the board is probably only using half of
    > each module... But you did say they each worked fine individually......NFI..
    >
    > The following text taken direct from Intel FAQ page for this board:
    >
    > What memory configurations are supported on the Intel® Desktop Boards
    > D815EFV and D815EPFV?
    > Desktop Boards D815EFV and D815EPFV have slots for three 168-pin unbuffered
    > Dual Inline Memory Modules (DIMMs) and can support a minimum system memory
    > configuration of 64 MB and a maximum configuration of 512 MB of PC-133
    > SDRAM. Desktop Boards D815EFV and D815EPFV support DIMM sizes of 16 MB, 32
    > MB, 64 MB, and 128 MB using 64-Mbit device technology and 256 MB using
    > 128-Mbit device technology.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S.

    ..

    Where did you find that "Intel FAQ" answer?

    As stated on Intel's D815EFV/D815EPFV support site, this board supports 512MB
    DIMMs that use 256Mbit chips. Although, it is limited to a total of 512MB, and
    additional memory won't be initialized.

    Intel's D815EFV/D815EPFV support site:
    http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D815Efv/index.htm

    "steven67@" <steven67@REMOVE_THISmindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Muttley wrote:
    >
    >> "David Kistner" <spamcatcher1@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> >I have purchased 2 512MB SDRAM modules for my Intel D815EFV motherboard.
    >> >When I boot the machine the bios only recognizes one of the 512mb
    >> >modules.
    >> >Both modules are "good" ones as I've tested them and they work fine
    >> >individually.
    >> >
    >> > Intel states on their support site that the bios only initializes the
    >> > first 512mb of RAM. However, I'm curious, is it possible for Windows
    >> > XP
    >> > to recognize the 2nd module, even though the bios does not initialize
    >> > it?
    >> > I don't understand how to check this or I'd do it.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you very much in advance for helping me with this.
    >> >
    >> > - David Kistner
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> The 815 Chipset is limited to 512MB of RAM. This limitation is a design
    >> limitation of the chipset, as it only has enough physical address lines
    >> for
    >> 512MB. Windows XP will not alter this limitation, as the chipset is not
    >> electrically able to access more than 512MB.
    >>
    >> The FAQ question below also says that the board is supoposedly limited to
    >> 256MB modules, so in your case, the board is probably only using half of
    >> each module... But you did say they each worked fine
    >> individually......NFI..
    >>
    >> The following text taken direct from Intel FAQ page for this board:
    >>
    >> What memory configurations are supported on the Intel® Desktop Boards
    >> D815EFV and D815EPFV?
    >> Desktop Boards D815EFV and D815EPFV have slots for three 168-pin
    >> unbuffered
    >> Dual Inline Memory Modules (DIMMs) and can support a minimum system
    >> memory
    >> configuration of 64 MB and a maximum configuration of 512 MB of PC-133
    >> SDRAM. Desktop Boards D815EFV and D815EPFV support DIMM sizes of 16 MB,
    >> 32
    >> MB, 64 MB, and 128 MB using 64-Mbit device technology and 256 MB using
    >> 128-Mbit device technology.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> John S.
    >
    > .
    >
    > Where did you find that "Intel FAQ" answer?
    >
    > As stated on Intel's D815EFV/D815EPFV support site, this board supports
    > 512MB
    > DIMMs that use 256Mbit chips. Although, it is limited to a total of
    > 512MB, and
    > additional memory won't be initialized.
    >
    > Intel's D815EFV/D815EPFV support site:
    > http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D815Efv/index.htm

    Found it here:

    http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d815efv/sb/cs-013087.htm

    But also just found this page that says a single 512MB DIMM is
    supported........

    http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d815efv/sb/CS-013089.htm

    DOH!!!!

    Seems Intel has NFI itself....... conflicting info available....

    John S.

Homebuilt BIOS SDRAM Intel Systems