wireless security

I just got a linksys wireless G router to replace some older network
hardware. I use the wireless with a Mac laptop running OSX. I noticed
that the router supports WEP and WPA, and so does the Mac, but when my
friend comes over with his PC laptop running XP, it can only use WEP or
nothing. He uses a UBS wireless adaptor, so I'm not really sure if this
is a limitation of the hardware or of Windows. Anyone know for sure?
I'd prefer to use WPA but I guess I will use WEP if I have to.

TIA

David Besack wrote:

> I just got a linksys wireless G router to replace some older network
> hardware. I use the wireless with a Mac laptop running OSX. I noticed
> that the router supports WEP and WPA, and so does the Mac, but when my
> friend comes over with his PC laptop running XP, it can only use WEP or
> nothing. He uses a UBS wireless adaptor, so I'm not really sure if this
> is a limitation of the hardware or of Windows. Anyone know for sure?
> I'd prefer to use WPA but I guess I will use WEP if I have to.
>
> TIA

WPA requires both software and hardware (I.E. the adapter must support it).

The Windows XP client is here... http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815485

>> I just got a linksys wireless G router to replace some older network
>> hardware. I use the wireless with a Mac laptop running OSX. I
>> noticed that the router supports WEP and WPA, and so does the Mac, but
>> when my friend comes over with his PC laptop running XP, it can only
>> use WEP or nothing. He uses a UBS wireless adaptor, so I'm not really
>> sure if this is a limitation of the hardware or of Windows. Anyone
>> know for sure? I'd prefer to use WPA but I guess I will use WEP if I
>> have to.
>>
>> TIA
>

> WPA requires both software and hardware (I.E. the adapter must support it).
>
> The Windows XP client is here... http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815485

Thanks for the info. The adapter is old, and makes no mention of WPA so
I guess it probably doesn't support it.

David Besack wrote:

>>> I just got a linksys wireless G router to replace some older network
>>> hardware. I use the wireless with a Mac laptop running OSX. I
>>> noticed that the router supports WEP and WPA, and so does the Mac,
>>> but when my friend comes over with his PC laptop running XP, it can
>>> only use WEP or nothing. He uses a UBS wireless adaptor, so I'm not
>>> really sure if this is a limitation of the hardware or of Windows.
>>> Anyone know for sure? I'd prefer to use WPA but I guess I will use
>>> WEP if I have to.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>

>> WPA requires both software and hardware (I.E. the adapter must support
>> it).
>>
>> The Windows XP client is here...
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815485
>

> Thanks for the info. The adapter is old, and makes no mention of WPA so
> I guess it probably doesn't support it.

At least not when it was made but there might be an update for it if you
check the manufacturer's website.