I just put togather a new comp and i have no video

Hi I just put togather a new comp ...
everthing is in and powered... the hdd led runs and the power led is
on but i do no not get any video on the comp
i am useing a apg card ...

when i start a new computer that i make from new parts do i need to
have a start up disk in or a bios program in the drive.....
the hdd has window xp os on it and is out of a working comp plz help
if you can

==============

On 6 Sep 2004 10:05:08 -0400,
tj9422@netscape-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (tj9422) wrote:

>Hi I just put togather a new comp ...
>everthing is in and powered... the hdd led runs and the power led is
>on but i do no not get any video on the comp
>i am useing a apg card ...
>
>when i start a new computer that i make from new parts do i need to
>have a start up disk in or a bios program in the drive.....
>the hdd has window xp os on it and is out of a working comp plz help
>if you can

You do not need a startup disk or bios program to get a POST,
video on the monitor. No software is involved at this point, it
is unnecessary to have a floppy or hard (any drives) connected.

1) You won't be able to just boot to windows XP, at least will
need to do a repair install or clean reinstall after getting
system working.

2) "No video" on a new build is almost always the more basic
failure-to-POST problem. See a few things to try below:

Provide concise list of all major components posted to group.

Check that power supply is decent quality and ample capacity to
support parts you're powering.

Check motherboard manual for jumpers for FSB, voltage, memory
bus, etc. Also try using the Clear CMOS jumper, or pull battery
for 10 minutes, either of them while AC power is disconnected
from power supply.

Remove all nonessential components, leaving only CPU, video,
single memory module, heatsink-fan(s), then try again to power on
system.

Recheck cables and cards, try disconnecting case front cables and
power on by shorting the power-on pin pair on the board, and
check that you don't have extra case standoffs shorting the back
of the motherboard.

If all else fails, remove and work with the motherboard outside
of the case, but not on an anti-static bag or mat (which conduct
electricity).

When you change the motherboard that is being used with a harddrive that has
XP on it, you MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS.
Otherwise, you get nasty ongoing Registry errors.

--
DaveW

DaveW wrote:
> When you change the motherboard that is being used with a harddrive that has
> XP on it, you MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS.
> Otherwise, you get nasty ongoing Registry errors.

Wrong.

And, for the life of me, I don't know why you insist on trying to make
people's lives miserable with that nonsense.

Yeah should get something, if the vidcard is connected try going into
the bios ?

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 21:19:36 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

>DaveW wrote:
>> When you change the motherboard that is being used with a harddrive that has
>> XP on it, you MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS.
>> Otherwise, you get nasty ongoing Registry errors.
>>

>Wrong.
>
>And, for the life of me, I don't know why you insist on trying to make
>people's lives miserable with that nonsense.

HELLO NURSE.