Motherboard burnout?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 7, 2004 4:07:04 AM

Anyone:

Can anyone explain the symptoms of a motherboard burn out? I was reading an
e-mail, minding my own business when the screen just went black, the HD
light stayed on and all seemed ok, other than no signal. I tried a restart,
but nothing, then turned off the main power, waited several seconds then hit
the power button.....nothing, no beeps, no BIOS , no POST, nothing. I opened
the case, cleaned it all out, checked that the fans were all working(they
were), and checked all connections and seatings. All were ok. Tried to start
it again to no avail. Have I lost my MB? Or does anyone have any other
solutions. I did attempt to boot from floppy and again,
nothing.......HELP!!!

Gerry Wolf on my son's system!!

More about : motherboard burnout

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 7, 2004 6:22:00 AM

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 00:07:04 GMT, "Chris Wolf"
<donutmuncher@wi.rr.com> wrote:

>Anyone:
>
>Can anyone explain the symptoms of a motherboard burn out?

Define "burn out".
If you mean any failure among the dozens of subcircuits,
there is no simple list of symptoms, since all components of
the system rely on the board to a certain extent.

>I was reading an
>e-mail, minding my own business when the screen just went black, the HD
>light stayed on and all seemed ok, other than no signal. I tried a restart,
>but nothing, then turned off the main power, waited several seconds then hit
>the power button.....nothing, no beeps, no BIOS , no POST, nothing. I opened
>the case, cleaned it all out, checked that the fans were all working(they
>were), and checked all connections and seatings. All were ok. Tried to start
>it again to no avail. Have I lost my MB? Or does anyone have any other
>solutions. I did attempt to boot from floppy and again,
>nothing.......HELP!!!

More likely the power supply or video card (considering the
first evidence of a problem).
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 8, 2004 3:05:04 AM

You most likely burned out either your power supply unit or your
motherboard. The easiest thing to check first is to replace the power
supply unit with a known working one of adequate power output.

--
DaveW

!