SATA Question

Will a SATA PCI Card work with any motherboard? I have the SY-K7ME by soyo.
I don't see any reason why the motherboard wouldn't take the PCI card as
long as i had the drivers. What I don't know is how I am going to install
Windows on it for the first time as it is the only hard drive I will have
and it is not the PATA IDE the motherboard has natively. Any comments on
this are appreciated.

---

More about sata question

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 00:54:10 GMT, "jm"
    <john_20_28_2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Will a SATA PCI Card work with any motherboard? I have the SY-K7ME by soyo.
    >I don't see any reason why the motherboard wouldn't take the PCI card as
    >long as i had the drivers. What I don't know is how I am going to install
    >Windows on it for the first time as it is the only hard drive I will have
    >and it is not the PATA IDE the motherboard has natively. Any comments on
    >this are appreciated.

    Yes, they require a PCI busmastering slot, which is standard
    equipment on most any Pentium class or newer board. Yours
    certainly qualifies.

    When installing windows there will be a prompt to hit F5 to
    install driver for the card (have it decompressed if it was
    a zip/etc, on a floppy). You must install driver at that
    point so pay attention and watch for the prompt.

    >>Will a SATA PCI Card work with any motherboard? I have the SY-K7ME by soyo.
    >>I don't see any reason why the motherboard wouldn't take the PCI card as
    >>long as i had the drivers. What I don't know is how I am going to install
    >>Windows on it for the first time as it is the only hard drive I will have
    >>and it is not the PATA IDE the motherboard has natively. Any comments on
    >>this are appreciated.
    >

    > Yes, they require a PCI busmastering slot, which is standard
    > equipment on most any Pentium class or newer board. Yours
    > certainly qualifies.
    >
    > When installing windows there will be a prompt to hit F5 to
    > install driver for the card (have it decompressed if it was
    > a zip/etc, on a floppy). You must install driver at that
    > point so pay attention and watch for the prompt.

    And I can say from experience the promt goes by pretty fast so watch
    carefully :)

    "Nuggie" <user.gs@t-online.de> wrote in message
    > > Yes, they require a PCI busmastering slot, which is standard
    > > equipment on most any Pentium class or newer board. Yours
    > > certainly qualifies.
    > ^^^^^^^^^
    > It another kwestion if your OS does allow the busmastering >;-) . When I
    > was on w2k with Abit KT133A, was able to watch TV with the WinTV
    > Theatre. When I moved to XP, I was told, Sir, I am afraid, but I was not
    > able to find any supported gfx card. At that time I had a 3dfx Voodoo 3
    > 3k, but any configuration with native XP or 3rd party drivers did not
    > work. Even an Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI adapter did not work.

    ALL recent MS OS's since W95(OSR2) and NT4SP4 have allowed busmastering.
    There's something missing from your story.

    "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

    > "Nuggie" <user.gs@t-online.de> wrote in message
    >> > Yes, they require a PCI busmastering slot, which is standard
    >> > equipment on most any Pentium class or newer board. Yours
    >> > certainly qualifies.
    >> ^^^^^^^^^
    >> It another kwestion if your OS does allow the busmastering >;-) . When I
    >> was on w2k with Abit KT133A, was able to watch TV with the WinTV
    >> Theatre. When I moved to XP, I was told, Sir, I am afraid, but I was not
    >> able to find any supported gfx card. At that time I had a 3dfx Voodoo 3
    >> 3k, but any configuration with native XP or 3rd party drivers did not
    >> work. Even an Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI adapter did not work.
    >
    > ALL recent MS OS's since W95(OSR2) and NT4SP4 have allowed busmastering.
    > There's something missing from your story.

    Indeed. The problem is outdated hardware the manufacturer no longer cares
    about, so doesn't support, forcing you to upgrade.

    On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 01:01:48 +0100, "mrlipring"
    <mrlipring@@@@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >>> It another kwestion if your OS does allow the busmastering >;-) . When I
    >>> was on w2k with Abit KT133A, was able to watch TV with the WinTV
    >>> Theatre. When I moved to XP, I was told, Sir, I am afraid, but I was not
    >>> able to find any supported gfx card. At that time I had a 3dfx Voodoo 3
    >>> 3k, but any configuration with native XP or 3rd party drivers did not
    >>> work. Even an Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI adapter did not work.
    >>
    >> ALL recent MS OS's since W95(OSR2) and NT4SP4 have allowed busmastering.
    >> There's something missing from your story.
    >>

    >Indeed. The problem is outdated hardware the manufacturer no longer cares
    >about, so doesn't support, forcing you to upgrade.

    It'd be a bit hard for 3dfx to care since they don't exist
    anymore.

    As to why the Adaptec doesn't work, hard to say... they do
    have updated drivers and bios,
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?cat=%2FProduct%2FAHA-2940

    Perhaps someone forgot to install the Via 4in1 driver?

    kony wrote:

    >>>ALL recent MS OS's since W95(OSR2) and NT4SP4 have allowed busmastering.
    >>>There's something missing from your story.
    >>>

    >>Indeed. The problem is outdated hardware the manufacturer no longer cares
    >>about, so doesn't support, forcing you to upgrade.
    >

    > It'd be a bit hard for 3dfx to care since they don't exist
    > anymore.
    >
    > As to why the Adaptec doesn't work, hard to say... they do
    > have updated drivers and bios,
    > http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?cat=%2FProduct%2FAHA-2940
    >
    > Perhaps someone forgot to install the Via 4in1 driver?

    Erm, I am not quite sure for I am no using that board no longer since it
    died this spring. Well, I am not quite sure if it *is* dead, for I could
    not force it to start >;-). But thanks for the hint :-) !

    Jakob

    Actually, it is F6 not F5, trivial I know ;¬)

    I unfortunately know from seeing it recently thanks to messing with a
    system's cpu and memory settings "just because I could" *sigh* I never
    learn :¬)

    Rule 1: If it is working fine, leave it alone!!

    Rule 2: When you ignore Rule 1, take reasonable precautions like backing up
    data and making sure you know what you are doing.

    Rule 3: After ignoring both Rule 1 and Rule 2 remember it is YOUR fault
    your system is knackered, not the fault of your expensive hardware which
    you're now tempted to give a good kicking to ;¬)

    John

Homebuilt SATA Motherboards Systems