Possible MB fried?

In an attempt to eliminate components, I first checked to see if I could
access my computer while "on" from my other that wasw connected to the
network I have set up in the house. The attempt drew a message telling me
that my computer was non accessable or non existent. So, it would seem that
nothing was actually running on the system, so I assumed the vid card was
not the culprit. Can the power supply actually be the problem? It seems
everything else runs, fans, all lights, etc..but nothing to the monitor,
which, by the way is ok as I hooked it to an old computer and it works fine.
Which brings me back to either the motherboard, power supply, or processor.
Again, what happened was as I was reading e-mail the system just quit. The
screen went black and all attempts to restart or start failed. (See posts
from Chris Wolf, my son..now using my daughter's ols computer) Again, thanks
to all who have presented options and advice. If anyone can add to this, I
truly appreciate all the advice and assistance I can get!!

Thanks again.

Gerry Wolf

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 05:54:24 GMT, "Lindsey Wolf"
<Lindz@wi.rr.com> wrote:

>In an attempt to eliminate components, I first checked to see if I could
>access my computer while "on" from my other that wasw connected to the
>network I have set up in the house. The attempt drew a message telling me
>that my computer was non accessable or non existent. So, it would seem that
>nothing was actually running on the system, so I assumed the vid card was
>not the culprit.

Whoa, back up a second.

When you first turn on the system, it goes though a POST
routine. Any of several things can prevent system from
POSTing, which means it will not proceed, no video, no boot
to any operating system, etc.

If the video card were dead, it could certainly prevent
system from POSTing. So could failed memory, a bios bug,
jumpers missing, failed power supply, dead CPU, shorted
wiring, etc, etc, etc...

>Can the power supply actually be the problem? It seems
>everything else runs, fans, all lights, etc..but nothing to the monitor,
>which, by the way is ok as I hooked it to an old computer and it works fine.

Taking voltage readings through the back of the ATX
motherboard connector, with a multimeter while system is in
the "on" but not POSTing condition, might be helpful.

>Which brings me back to either the motherboard, power supply, or processor.

Unless the CPU 'sink fan wasn't spinning, heatsink fell off
entirely, or someone had intentionally, grossly overvolted
the CPU (like with reckless attempts to overclock),
otherwise the odds are the CPU is fine... it's possibly
dead, but once a system has been set up and working for a
period of time (more than a few hours) the CPU generally
won't fail without some external force causing it. For the
purposes of troubleshooting, it ought to be assumed viable
until proven otherwise.

>Again, what happened was as I was reading e-mail the system just quit. The
>screen went black and all attempts to restart or start failed. (See posts
>from Chris Wolf, my son..now using my daughter's ols computer) Again, thanks
>to all who have presented options and advice. If anyone can add to this, I
>truly appreciate all the advice and assistance I can get!!

Typically it helps to provide a concise list of all major
components, including make/model of power supply.

Had the system been changed in any way or moved just prior
to this problem?

You might examine motherboard for signs of capacitor
failure, particularly those about the CPU socket, near AGP
slot and memory, the larger capacitors usually on the top
half of the board. Bulging, domed or cracked tops (vented),
liquid or residue on top or bottom of capacitor are common
signs of failure, but not necessarily present in all cases.

Likewise, you might unplug the power supply from AC for at
least a few minutes, then open and inspect it. Not all
damage is visable, but many failure points are, including
the larger capacitors often partially hidden under the
wiring harness where it exits the power supply casing. The
video card might also be checked visually, but more often a
video card might have no visable sign when there is a
problem.

You might also remove all non-essential parts from system.
The goal at this point is only to get the system to POST,
and towards that end you only need the CPU, 1 memory module,
video card, CPU heatsink/fan. Keyboard, mouse, drives, PCI
cards, etc, should all be removed. You might also
disconnect the front panel wiring to switches and LEDs, and
try turning system on by shorting the motherboard power-on
pin pair. If you dont' know which pair this is, note it's
location by tracing back the wiring from the front power-on
switch.

If it won't POST with only the above minimal parts, AND you
have a speaker either plugged into board or integral to the
board (small black plastic buzzer is typically used if
integrated onboard) then you might remove video card and/or
memory and see if it beeps at all shortly after turning on.
Next you might clear the CMOS via jumper (see motherboard
manual) or remove battery for 10 minutes while AC power is
disconnected.

It helps a lot to have a 2nd system that can have parts
swapped back and forth to isolate problem components, but if
this isn't possible and nothing else seems to pinpoint the
problem, I provide the following list of minimal components,
in order from most to least likely the problem:

Power Supply
Motherboard
Video Card
Memory
CPU

When removing or installing any components, be sure to turn
off the system with switch on power supply or pulling the AC
cord out, and avoid ESD damage by touching a ground point
prior to doing so.