Building new system

Anyone:

I seem to have been forced into finally upgrading and building a new system
since my current one passed on.

My question is regarding motherboards and what I want to include. The old
system was a PIII 600 running on an ABIT BE-6II which had 4 IDE controllers
on the board allowing me to install a CD writer, DVD drive, Iomega Zip
drive, and of course my hard drive(s) which was a master/slave
configuration. 2-20 GB units.

The boards I'm looking at all simply have 2 IDE controllers. My question is
how can I install the same components to the new one? Do I have to sacrifice
the zip drive? I really like having that and want it incorporated in the new
box. Anyone with suggestions as to how I can accomplish that, please let me
know, ok?

I want to thank all who gave me advice regarding the death of my old system,
seems the Mobo fried and hence, the new unit.

The boards I'm looking into are:

PC Chips M848 with Anthlon XP3200
Asus P3B-F with the same XP3200

Any one know of a board that will accommodate the XP3200 yet still allow me
to install all the above named peripherals?

Thanks again,

Gerry Wolf
gwolf@wi.rr.com
6 answers Last reply
More about building system

    Gerry Wolf wrote:

    > Anyone:
    >
    > I seem to have been forced into finally upgrading and building a new system
    > since my current one passed on.
    >
    > My question is regarding motherboards and what I want to include. The old
    > system was a PIII 600 running on an ABIT BE-6II which had 4 IDE controllers
    > on the board allowing me to install a CD writer, DVD drive, Iomega Zip
    > drive, and of course my hard drive(s) which was a master/slave
    > configuration. 2-20 GB units.

    Yes, well, the BE6II is based on the 440BX chipset which has a dual channel
    UDMA33 IDE controller built in but they wanted RAID and UDMA66 capability
    so they essentially built in an 'add-on card' with a highpoint controller

    > The boards I'm looking at all simply have 2 IDE controllers. My question is
    > how can I install the same components to the new one? Do I have to sacrifice
    > the zip drive? I really like having that and want it incorporated in the new
    > box. Anyone with suggestions as to how I can accomplish that, please let me
    > know, ok?
    >
    > I want to thank all who gave me advice regarding the death of my old system,
    > seems the Mobo fried and hence, the new unit.
    >
    > The boards I'm looking into are:
    >
    > PC Chips M848 with Anthlon XP3200
    > Asus P3B-F with the same XP3200
    >
    > Any one know of a board that will accommodate the XP3200 yet still allow me
    > to install all the above named peripherals?

    Do what Abit did, except the 'normal' way: add in a PCI IDE controller card
    with whatever features you want on it.

    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Gerry Wolf
    > gwolf@wi.rr.com

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:43:11 -0500, "Gerry Wolf"
    <gwolf@wi.rr.com> wrote:

    >Anyone:
    >
    >I seem to have been forced into finally upgrading and building a new system
    >since my current one passed on.
    >
    >My question is regarding motherboards and what I want to include. The old
    >system was a PIII 600 running on an ABIT BE-6II which had 4 IDE controllers
    >on the board allowing me to install a CD writer, DVD drive, Iomega Zip
    >drive, and of course my hard drive(s) which was a master/slave
    >configuration. 2-20 GB units.
    >
    >The boards I'm looking at all simply have 2 IDE controllers. My question is
    >how can I install the same components to the new one? Do I have to sacrifice
    >the zip drive? I really like having that and want it incorporated in the new
    >box. Anyone with suggestions as to how I can accomplish that, please let me
    >know, ok?
    >
    >I want to thank all who gave me advice regarding the death of my old system,
    >seems the Mobo fried and hence, the new unit.
    >
    >The boards I'm looking into are:
    >
    >PC Chips M848 with Anthlon XP3200
    >Asus P3B-F with the same XP3200

    This Asus P3B-F does not support XP3200, it's a socket 370
    motherboard!

    Frankly I'd buy a better motherboard with savings from
    buying only the XP3000, if the system budget is fixed, but
    it's your call.

    >Any one know of a board that will accommodate the XP3200 yet still allow me
    >to install all the above named peripherals?

    Most of the modern Athlon boards integrate a serial ATA
    controller as the 2nd controller (in addtion to the one
    southbridge-integrated).j To get the PATA raid you want,
    buy a PCI RAID card, preferribly ATA133 to provide native 48
    bit LBA (large > 128GB size) support.

    kony wrote:
    > On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:43:11 -0500, "Gerry Wolf"
    > <gwolf@wi.rr.com> wrote:

    >>Asus P3B-F with the same XP3200
    >

    > This Asus P3B-F does not support XP3200, it's a socket 370
    > motherboard!

    As a matter of fact, the Asus P3B-F neither supports PC3200 RAM nor is
    it a socket 370 motherboard. You are cordially invited to visit a
    computer museum to find out that P3B-F is a Slot 1 (SECC or SECC2)
    board for Pentium II and III (and corresponding Celeron) CPUs,
    supporting PC100 (and, especially for overclocking) PC133 SDRAM RAM
    modules.

    Roy

    --
    This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties and confers no rights.

    kony wrote:

    > On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:43:11 -0500, "Gerry Wolf"
    > <gwolf@wi.rr.com> wrote:
    >>The boards I'm looking into are:
    >>
    >>PC Chips M848 with Anthlon XP3200
    >>Asus P3B-F with the same XP3200
    >

    > This Asus P3B-F does not support XP3200, it's a socket 370
    > motherboard!

    The P3B-F is a Slot 1 board supporting Pentium II and III (and
    corresponding Celeron) CPUs - not Athlon XP processors.

    Gerry Wolf might consider a board from the value line daughter of
    Asustek, i.e. ASRock rather than PC CHips...

    Roy

    You could get a pci card that will give you more IDE channels. It is
    inexpensive.
    Go for the Asus motherboard.

    "Gerry Wolf" <gwolf@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone:
    >
    > I seem to have been forced into finally upgrading and building a new
    > system
    > since my current one passed on.
    >
    > My question is regarding motherboards and what I want to include. The old
    > system was a PIII 600 running on an ABIT BE-6II which had 4 IDE
    > controllers
    > on the board allowing me to install a CD writer, DVD drive, Iomega Zip
    > drive, and of course my hard drive(s) which was a master/slave
    > configuration. 2-20 GB units.
    >
    > The boards I'm looking at all simply have 2 IDE controllers. My question
    > is
    > how can I install the same components to the new one? Do I have to
    > sacrifice
    > the zip drive? I really like having that and want it incorporated in the
    > new
    > box. Anyone with suggestions as to how I can accomplish that, please let
    > me
    > know, ok?
    >
    > I want to thank all who gave me advice regarding the death of my old
    > system,
    > seems the Mobo fried and hence, the new unit.
    >
    > The boards I'm looking into are:
    >
    > PC Chips M848 with Anthlon XP3200
    > Asus P3B-F with the same XP3200
    >
    > Any one know of a board that will accommodate the XP3200 yet still allow
    > me
    > to install all the above named peripherals?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Gerry Wolf
    > gwolf@wi.rr.com

    jesus man, not pc chips!