Anyone:

I seem to have been forced into finally upgrading and building a new system
since my current one passed on.

My question is regarding motherboards and what I want to include. The old
system was a PIII 600 running on an ABIT BE-6II which had 4 IDE controllers
on the board allowing me to install a CD writer, DVD drive, Iomega Zip
drive, and of course my hard drive(s) which was a master/slave
configuration. 2-20 GB units.

The boards I'm looking at all simply have 2 IDE controllers. My question is
how can I install the same components to the new one? Do I have to sacrifice
the zip drive? I really like having that and want it incorporated in the new
box. Anyone with suggestions as to how I can accomplish that, please let me
know, ok?

I want to thank all who gave me advice regarding the death of my old system,
seems the Mobo fried and hence, the new unit.

The boards I'm looking into are:

PC Chips M848 with Anthlon XP3200
Asus P3B-F with the same XP3200

Any one know of a board that will accommodate the XP3200 yet still allow me
to install all the above named peripherals?

Thanks again,

Gerry Wolf
gwolf@wi.rr.com

Gerry Wolf wrote:

> Anyone:
>
> I seem to have been forced into finally upgrading and building a new system
> since my current one passed on.
>
> My question is regarding motherboards and what I want to include. The old
> system was a PIII 600 running on an ABIT BE-6II which had 4 IDE controllers
> on the board allowing me to install a CD writer, DVD drive, Iomega Zip
> drive, and of course my hard drive(s) which was a master/slave
> configuration. 2-20 GB units.

Yes, well, the BE6II is based on the 440BX chipset which has a dual channel
UDMA33 IDE controller built in but they wanted RAID and UDMA66 capability
so they essentially built in an 'add-on card' with a highpoint controller

> The boards I'm looking at all simply have 2 IDE controllers. My question is
> how can I install the same components to the new one? Do I have to sacrifice
> the zip drive? I really like having that and want it incorporated in the new
> box. Anyone with suggestions as to how I can accomplish that, please let me
> know, ok?
>
> I want to thank all who gave me advice regarding the death of my old system,
> seems the Mobo fried and hence, the new unit.
>
> The boards I'm looking into are:
>
> PC Chips M848 with Anthlon XP3200
> Asus P3B-F with the same XP3200
>
> Any one know of a board that will accommodate the XP3200 yet still allow me
> to install all the above named peripherals?

Do what Abit did, except the 'normal' way: add in a PCI IDE controller card
with whatever features you want on it.

> Thanks again,
>
> Gerry Wolf
> gwolf@wi.rr.com

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:43:11 -0500, "Gerry Wolf"
<gwolf@wi.rr.com> wrote:

>Anyone:
>
>I seem to have been forced into finally upgrading and building a new system
>since my current one passed on.
>
>My question is regarding motherboards and what I want to include. The old
>system was a PIII 600 running on an ABIT BE-6II which had 4 IDE controllers
>on the board allowing me to install a CD writer, DVD drive, Iomega Zip
>drive, and of course my hard drive(s) which was a master/slave
>configuration. 2-20 GB units.
>
>The boards I'm looking at all simply have 2 IDE controllers. My question is
>how can I install the same components to the new one? Do I have to sacrifice
>the zip drive? I really like having that and want it incorporated in the new
>box. Anyone with suggestions as to how I can accomplish that, please let me
>know, ok?
>
>I want to thank all who gave me advice regarding the death of my old system,
>seems the Mobo fried and hence, the new unit.
>
>The boards I'm looking into are:
>
>PC Chips M848 with Anthlon XP3200
>Asus P3B-F with the same XP3200

This Asus P3B-F does not support XP3200, it's a socket 370
motherboard!

Frankly I'd buy a better motherboard with savings from
buying only the XP3000, if the system budget is fixed, but
it's your call.

>Any one know of a board that will accommodate the XP3200 yet still allow me
>to install all the above named peripherals?

Most of the modern Athlon boards integrate a serial ATA
controller as the 2nd controller (in addtion to the one
southbridge-integrated).j To get the PATA raid you want,
buy a PCI RAID card, preferribly ATA133 to provide native 48
bit LBA (large > 128GB size) support.

kony wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:43:11 -0500, "Gerry Wolf"
> <gwolf@wi.rr.com> wrote:

>>Asus P3B-F with the same XP3200
>

> This Asus P3B-F does not support XP3200, it's a socket 370
> motherboard!

As a matter of fact, the Asus P3B-F neither supports PC3200 RAM nor is
it a socket 370 motherboard. You are cordially invited to visit a
computer museum to find out that P3B-F is a Slot 1 (SECC or SECC2)
board for Pentium II and III (and corresponding Celeron) CPUs,
supporting PC100 (and, especially for overclocking) PC133 SDRAM RAM
modules.

Roy

--
This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties and confers no rights.

kony wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:43:11 -0500, "Gerry Wolf"
> <gwolf@wi.rr.com> wrote:
>>The boards I'm looking into are:
>>
>>PC Chips M848 with Anthlon XP3200
>>Asus P3B-F with the same XP3200
>

> This Asus P3B-F does not support XP3200, it's a socket 370
> motherboard!

The P3B-F is a Slot 1 board supporting Pentium II and III (and
corresponding Celeron) CPUs - not Athlon XP processors.

Gerry Wolf might consider a board from the value line daughter of
Asustek, i.e. ASRock rather than PC CHips...

Roy

jk

You could get a pci card that will give you more IDE channels. It is
inexpensive.
Go for the Asus motherboard.

"Gerry Wolf" <gwolf@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> Anyone:
>
> I seem to have been forced into finally upgrading and building a new
> system
> since my current one passed on.
>
> My question is regarding motherboards and what I want to include. The old
> system was a PIII 600 running on an ABIT BE-6II which had 4 IDE
> controllers
> on the board allowing me to install a CD writer, DVD drive, Iomega Zip
> drive, and of course my hard drive(s) which was a master/slave
> configuration. 2-20 GB units.
>
> The boards I'm looking at all simply have 2 IDE controllers. My question
> is
> how can I install the same components to the new one? Do I have to
> sacrifice
> the zip drive? I really like having that and want it incorporated in the
> new
> box. Anyone with suggestions as to how I can accomplish that, please let
> me
> know, ok?
>
> I want to thank all who gave me advice regarding the death of my old
> system,
> seems the Mobo fried and hence, the new unit.
>
> The boards I'm looking into are:
>
> PC Chips M848 with Anthlon XP3200
> Asus P3B-F with the same XP3200
>
> Any one know of a board that will accommodate the XP3200 yet still allow
> me
> to install all the above named peripherals?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Gerry Wolf
> gwolf@wi.rr.com

jesus man, not pc chips!