Why my screen rotation doesn't work?

August 4, 2004 8:52:28 PM

Hi there,

I am doing screen rotation on my iPAQ 4150 with following code in my
application.

DEVMODE devmode;
memset(&devmode,0,sizeof(DEVMODE)) ;
devmode.dmOrientation=DMDO_270 ;
devmode.dmFields=DM_DISPLAYORIENTATION ;
devmode.dmSize = sizeof(DEVMODE) ;
int m_iRet=ChangeDisplaySettingsE(NULL,&devmode,NULL,CDS_RESET,NULL);

But after these executed nothing happen.The screen is still same.

Any body can give me a hand,

Thanks a lot,

George

More about : screen rotation work

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 8:52:29 PM

Firstly this is just a guess from myself but you might find
that after execution your PPC needs to be soft-reset to
see the changes. (Is thinking of the third-party applications
that offer screen rotation, they require soft resets)

Secondly, You might have better results by posting your
query to microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer

$0.02

~S.

"George Fang" <georgef@videocatcher.com> wrote in news:#7iUvUmeEHA.384
@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Firstly this is just a guess from myself but you might find
> that after execution your PPC needs to be soft-reset to
> see the changes. (Is thinking of the third-party applications
> that offer screen rotation, they require soft resets)

that's certainely not true. this API is for on-the-fly rotation on Pocket
PC 2003 Second Edition.

but last time i tried it (on a pre-production device), it was not working
either. not sure why...

> Secondly, You might have better results by posting your
> query to microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer

good advice.

> "George Fang" <georgef@videocatcher.com> wrote in news:#7iUvUmeEHA.384
> @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am doing screen rotation on my iPAQ 4150 with following code in my
> > application.
> >
> > DEVMODE devmode;
> > memset(&devmode,0,sizeof(DEVMODE)) ;
> > devmode.dmOrientation=DMDO_270 ;
> > devmode.dmFields=DM_DISPLAYORIENTATION ;
> > devmode.dmSize = sizeof(DEVMODE) ;
> > int m_iRet=ChangeDisplaySettingsE(NULL,&devmode,NULL,CDS_RESET,NULL);
> >
> > But after these executed nothing happen.The screen is still same.
> >
> > Any body can give me a hand,
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> >
> > George
> >

> --
> ======================
> ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
> OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
> iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
> HTTP://www.xarane.com
> ======================
August 5, 2004 11:08:41 AM

The PocketTV Team wrote:
> that's certainely not true. this API is for on-the-fly rotation on
> Pocket PC 2003 Second Edition.
>
> but last time i tried it (on a pre-production device), it was not
> working either. not sure why...

But the OP mentioned he was using a 4150 which is not WM2003SE so it
wouldn't work!

--
Darren Griffin
PocketGPSWorld - www.pocketgpsworld.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Sorry,HP iPAQ H4150 PPC is WM2003SE.

George Fang

"Darren Griffin - PocketGPS" <darren@pocketgpsworld.com> wrote in message
news:o y9vpKreEHA.2848@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> The PocketTV Team wrote:
> > that's certainely not true. this API is for on-the-fly rotation on
> > Pocket PC 2003 Second Edition.
> >
> > but last time i tried it (on a pre-production device), it was not
> > working either. not sure why...
>
> But the OP mentioned he was using a 4150 which is not WM2003SE so it
> wouldn't work!
>
> --
> Darren Griffin
> PocketGPSWorld - www.pocketgpsworld.com
> The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:53:25 PM

George Fang wrote:

> Sorry,HP iPAQ H4150 PPC is WM2003SE.
>
> George Fang
>
> "Darren Griffin - PocketGPS" <darren@pocketgpsworld.com> wrote in message
> news:o y9vpKreEHA.2848@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > The PocketTV Team wrote:
> > > that's certainely not true. this API is for on-the-fly rotation on
> > > Pocket PC 2003 Second Edition.
> > >
> > > but last time i tried it (on a pre-production device), it was not
> > > working either. not sure why...
> >
> > But the OP mentioned he was using a 4150 which is not WM2003SE so it
> > wouldn't work!

No it's not. It's Premium Edition, but Premium != SE
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:53:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

If premium = SE then why don't I have native screen rotation
built in in my device? 5550's carry the 2003 Premium edition.
Or perhaps i'm misunderstanding your reply.

~S.

KDragon <krystaldragon13@NOSPAMsympatico.ca> wrote in

> No it's not. It's Premium Edition, but Premium != SE

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 4:27:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

I just talked to HP. It is 2003 Premium not 2003 SE.

Does that mean rotation functions not working on 2003 Premium?

Anyway,thank you for your help,

George

"KDragon" <krystaldragon13@NOSPAMsympatico.ca> wrote in message
> George Fang wrote:
> >
> > Sorry,HP iPAQ H4150 PPC is WM2003SE.
> >
> > George Fang
> >
> > "Darren Griffin - PocketGPS" <darren@pocketgpsworld.com> wrote in
message
> > news:o y9vpKreEHA.2848@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> > > But the OP mentioned he was using a 4150 which is not WM2003SE so it
> > > wouldn't work!
>
> No it's not. It's Premium Edition, but Premium != SE
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 5:28:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

You missed the ! which means not.

so Premium is *not* equal to SE. Premium just indicates which features are
available on the PPC. It is possible to have 2003 SE that is also Premium,
but you could also have a 2003 that is Premium, or 2002 that is Premium.

--
Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
Senior Engineer

Applied Data Systems
www.applieddata.net
An ISO 9001:2000 Registered Company
Microsoft WEP Gold-level Member

Do have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Windows Mobile and
Embedded newsgroups? Let us know!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroup...
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 5:28:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Aha, thank you for the reminder. :)
Should have remembered that from IT class!

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

> Does that mean rotation functions not working on 2003 Premium?

rotation functions only work on SE (and future versions).
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 1:28:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

What is the difference between the Two ? If it is the release version is it
possible to update the OS, like Win2k to WinXP ?
Thanks.

"The PocketTV Team" wrote:

> > Does that mean rotation functions not working on 2003 Premium?
>
> rotation functions only work on SE (and future versions).

Anonymous
August 9, 2004 3:05:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

There won't be an SE upgrade for the h4150.
Look here:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

"davidm2004" <davidm2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What is the difference between the Two ? If it is the release version is
it
> possible to update the OS, like Win2k to WinXP ?

Second Edition allows you to rotate the display between Portrait and
Landscape, on the fly.

Some manufacturers provide firmware updates.

For upgrade availability for a particular device, contact your customer
support of look for information on public forums such as
www.pocketpcthoughts.com and www.brighthand.com .
!