Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Is PCI the same as or completely different to the current PCI64 sockets?

Tried searching on google to no avail.

--
*****TWO BABY CONURES***** 16 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com

The 2 most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Peter Hucker wrote:
> Is PCI the same as or completely different to the current PCI64 sockets?
>
> Tried searching on google to no avail.

My reserach in the subject yielded the following:

Traditional PCI - 32 bit slots. 3.3v and 5v versions exist
64 bit PCI - I know Dell servers have these slots. Lots of SCSI type
cards available. May be voltage differences here as well. Slot different
shaped than Traditional PCI.

PCI-X, next generation PCI with a much faster bus. Designed however to
be backwards compatable with Traditional PCI, if the voltages are
correct. You can tell this by certain notches present in the PCI card.
However if you install a traditional PCI card in a PCI-X slot it will
slow down the PCI-X slots also on the bus. To make things more confusing
IBM xSeries servers have full height and half height PCI-X slots.

(Just as a quick sidenote, PCI-X IS DIFFERENT than PCI-Express.)

I was hoping to find a sound card in PCI-X format but no such thing
exists, again only SCSI Cards and the like are available in PCI-X
format. None of the sound cards I had when I was working on the server
would fit the PCI-X slot I was looking at, so I did some research and it
looks like the SB Audigy 2 would work (which also claims to work with
all voltages). It has the appropriate notch at the appropriate place. I
am going back to my customers to install this sound card next week. Wish
me luck.

Matt