Dead CPU ???

Hi,

Looks like I made a mistake bu buying a CPU from rBay, which was
descrived as "Untested".

It is previously used but I had expected it to work.

The CPU is P4-Celeron 2.0.

I found no bent pins or marks in the CPU and it went in with no force
needed.

Power supply is Q-Tec 400 watt and no peripherals were attached. Only
mainboard with CPU and memory.

CPU cooler fan starts and a light on the motherboard ( Gigabyte
GA-8IG1000MK ) but it does not boot.

The CPU does get warm, so can I be certain it is dead ??? Is it worth
trying other memory, PSU , motherboard etc ???

Any tips appreciated.

Mike

h1:
> CPU from rBay, which was descrived as "Untested"

ebayese for 'broken'

--
Mac Cool

"h1" <h1@not-here.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Looks like I made a mistake bu buying a CPU from rBay, which was
> descrived as "Untested".
>
> It is previously used but I had expected it to work.
>
> The CPU is P4-Celeron 2.0.
>
> I found no bent pins or marks in the CPU and it went in with no force
> needed.
>
> Power supply is Q-Tec 400 watt and no peripherals were attached. Only
> mainboard with CPU and memory.
>
> CPU cooler fan starts and a light on the motherboard ( Gigabyte
> GA-8IG1000MK ) but it does not boot.
>
> The CPU does get warm, so can I be certain it is dead ??? Is it worth
> trying other memory, PSU , motherboard etc ???
>
> Any tips appreciated.
>
> Mike
>
>_______________________

I have to agree with Mac Cool. In general, if someone puts something up for
bid on ebay as "untested", or says that they don't have the facilities to
test but think it's ok, or won't guarantee no DOA, then stay away. I've
been burned with bad cpus and suspect that they were overclocked and
toasted. Even if the seller will make good, you're still out the shipping
both ways. Shopping on ebay is fun and addictive, but read the description
carefully, especially on computer items. Best...J

On 11 Sep 2004 11:32:20 -0500, h1 <h1@not-here.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Looks like I made a mistake bu buying a CPU from rBay, which was
>descrived as "Untested".
>
>It is previously used but I had expected it to work.
>
>The CPU is P4-Celeron 2.0.
>
>I found no bent pins or marks in the CPU and it went in with no force
>needed.
>
>Power supply is Q-Tec 400 watt and no peripherals were attached. Only
>mainboard with CPU and memory.
>
>CPU cooler fan starts and a light on the motherboard ( Gigabyte
>GA-8IG1000MK ) but it does not boot.
>
>The CPU does get warm, so can I be certain it is dead ??? Is it worth
>trying other memory, PSU , motherboard etc ???
>
>Any tips appreciated.
>
>Mike

Considering the source of the CPU, it's highly suspect, but
the Q-Tec PSU is known junk, is another thing to look at and
test with a multimeter for output tolerances if possible.

It'd be helpful to have a 2nd, known properly working system
you could swap the CPU into.

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:05:25 -0500, "JeffG" <jeffg@big_cox.net> wrote:

>"h1" <h1@not-here.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Looks like I made a mistake bu buying a CPU from rBay, which was
>> descrived as "Untested".
>>
>> It is previously used but I had expected it to work.
>>
>> The CPU is P4-Celeron 2.0.
>>
>> I found no bent pins or marks in the CPU and it went in with no force
>> needed.
>>
>> Power supply is Q-Tec 400 watt and no peripherals were attached. Only
>> mainboard with CPU and memory.
>>
>> CPU cooler fan starts and a light on the motherboard ( Gigabyte
>> GA-8IG1000MK ) but it does not boot.
>>
>> The CPU does get warm, so can I be certain it is dead ??? Is it worth
>> trying other memory, PSU , motherboard etc ???
>>
>> Any tips appreciated.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>>_______________________
>
>I have to agree with Mac Cool. In general, if someone puts something up for
>bid on ebay as "untested", or says that they don't have the facilities to
>test but think it's ok, or won't guarantee no DOA, then stay away. I've
>been burned with bad cpus and suspect that they were overclocked and
>toasted. Even if the seller will make good, you're still out the shipping
>both ways. Shopping on ebay is fun and addictive, but read the description
>carefully, especially on computer items. Best...J

I knocked my HSF off my Athlon 2500+ and burnt it to a crisp in a
matter of 5 seconds but it was *completely* unmarked, even got it
changed under warranty, just becuase it is unmarked doesn't mean that
it works.

<G>

-
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!
Ihavetoknowwhatwhoeverdesigneditwastryingtoprotect!
(Blakes 7, City on the Edge of the World - Vila in typical panic mode)

-
-
-
-