Xposted - need help hooking up laptop hd to tower system

Hi,

This is a hd from a HP laptop. It has personal data on it that hasn't been
backed up.
I'm going to try to backup the data and then return the hd to HP. The HD in
question
is faulty, but it still spins, so I may have a shot at it. A friend swapped
the replacement
from HP with this one, and asked me to see if I could get his stuff off it,
etc.

The drive is an IBM travelstar 4200 RPM 40 gig ATA/IDE
model: Ic25n040ATCS04-0 July 'o2

I never fooled with laptop stuff before so I'm kinda stuck here. I was
hoping I could
access it with a normal 40pin ide cable, and then use jumper wires to hook
up
whatever run voltage it needed. No luck.

Can anybody tell me how to proceed from here?

Thanks for any ideas.

Allen

I got the answer from another NG.

I need a 3 1/2 inch to 2 1/2 inch cable
adaptor.

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:02:32 -0400, "!Allen Lasting"
<bogus@nowhere.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>This is a hd from a HP laptop. It has personal data on it that hasn't been
>backed up.
>I'm going to try to backup the data and then return the hd to HP. The HD in
>question
>is faulty, but it still spins, so I may have a shot at it. A friend swapped
>the replacement
>from HP with this one, and asked me to see if I could get his stuff off it,
>etc.
>
>The drive is an IBM travelstar 4200 RPM 40 gig ATA/IDE
>model: Ic25n040ATCS04-0 July 'o2
>
>I never fooled with laptop stuff before so I'm kinda stuck here. I was
>hoping I could
>access it with a normal 40pin ide cable, and then use jumper wires to hook
>up
>whatever run voltage it needed. No luck.
>
>Can anybody tell me how to proceed from here?

40 pin cables have wider pin-spacing, you'd at least need a
straight-through reduced pin adapter with an aux 5V power
plug on the end... fortunately they are ready made and
relatively cheap, example:

http://66.216.68.88/details.htm?productid=4A-1097

Google will find more,
http://www.google.com/search?q=laptop+drive+adapter+40