KVM problem

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2004 1:41:50 AM

Hope somebody can help here....

Have been using a Belkin KVM switch with built in cabling
http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+Details.htm?quic...
for 14 months with no problems initially with a Logitech Marble
trackball with a PS2 plug and then went onto a Microsoft Trackball
Optical with a USB plug and the supplied USB -> PS2 adapter with no
problems.

The switch died and I managed to pick up a D-Link DKVM-2
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=105699&partner...
which looks like a far better quality box to me, very heavy and
separately powered but I seemed to have a problem that when I switch
from one computer to other the mouse is completely frozen, while first
is fine. If I press the sleep key, put the comp into sleep mode then
wake it up again the mouse wakes up so it's not a hardware problem.

I switched off the computers, unplugged the KWM and started it all up
again and the same thing happened... but the computers were switched
round, the one the previous had functioned fine now had the mouse
freezing problem and the previously problematical one was now fine.

I tried my old Logitech PS2 was fine although it was occasionally
locking up on both machines.

I put in the Microsoft back in and thought I'll just have to live with
it.... and it now works fine - for how long I don't know.

Are there any known problems with KVM switch's? I'm running XP on both
machines.

-
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!
Ihavetoknowwhatwhoeverdesigneditwastryingtoprotect!
(Blakes 7, City on the Edge of the World - Vila in typical panic mode)

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

More about : kvm problem

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2004 1:41:51 AM

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 21:41:50 +0100, Luke Curtis
<mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>Hope somebody can help here....
>
>Have been using a Belkin KVM switch with built in cabling
>http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+Details.htm?quic...
>for 14 months with no problems initially with a Logitech Marble
>trackball with a PS2 plug and then went onto a Microsoft Trackball
>Optical with a USB plug and the supplied USB -> PS2 adapter with no
>problems.
>
>The switch died and I managed to pick up a D-Link DKVM-2
>http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=105699&partner...
>which looks like a far better quality box to me, very heavy and
>separately powered but I seemed to have a problem that when I switch
>from one computer to other the mouse is completely frozen, while first
>is fine. If I press the sleep key, put the comp into sleep mode then
>wake it up again the mouse wakes up so it's not a hardware problem.
>
>I switched off the computers, unplugged the KWM and started it all up
>again and the same thing happened... but the computers were switched
>round, the one the previous had functioned fine now had the mouse
>freezing problem and the previously problematical one was now fine.
>
>I tried my old Logitech PS2 was fine although it was occasionally
>locking up on both machines.
>
>I put in the Microsoft back in and thought I'll just have to live with
>it.... and it now works fine - for how long I don't know.
>
>Are there any known problems with KVM switch's? I'm running XP on both
>machines.

I can't be sure without reverse engineering a lot of KVM
switches, but suspect that there are two distinctly
different designs. One would simply "switch" (whether it be
mechanically or electronically) between the two output
lines, which the other would have a microcontroller
emulating a PS/2 device, taking the mouse as input signals.

The latter type should be more compatible, likely resolving
your issue, but a special PS/2 device needing specifically
identified by software (some cordless Logitech software
perhaps?) might be better used with the former type...
again, it's just a suspicion, I'd have to have a ton of
spare/unused hardware to test, to confirm it.

In other words, you're likley better served by the most
modern KVM design you can find, the D-link looks a bit
dated.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 14, 2004 3:38:29 AM

I'm afraid the D-Link KVM are not the best.
Belkin aren't brilliant - but are at least relatively compatible.

Do a google for KVM and carefully read through the many problems/solutions:
o There may be a solution with the D-Link
o Alternatively the USB-to-PS/2 adapter may be the problem
o It is an extra layer of interfacing the D-Link may not tolerate

D-Link are generally economic, ok - but can have compatibility issues.
That goes historically with a lot of their kit right from the early days.

There are cheap KVM switches on the market, eg, Shock, which despite
the plasticy case, oddball connectors, and low price do work quite well.
If using a laptop a separate PSU for the KVM tends to be required - as
quite a few laptops do not provide enough power for the KVM to work.

Do a google for the part number of the D-Link.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan for quiet Panaflo fans & other items

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:38:29 GMT, "Dorothy Bradbury"
<dorothy.bradbury@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I'm afraid the D-Link KVM are not the best.
>Belkin aren't brilliant - but are at least relatively compatible.
>
>Do a google for KVM and carefully read through the many problems/solutions:
>o There may be a solution with the D-Link
>o Alternatively the USB-to-PS/2 adapter may be the problem
>o It is an extra layer of interfacing the D-Link may not tolerate
>
>D-Link are generally economic, ok - but can have compatibility issues.
>That goes historically with a lot of their kit right from the early days.
>
>There are cheap KVM switches on the market, eg, Shock, which despite
>the plasticy case, oddball connectors, and low price do work quite well.
>If using a laptop a separate PSU for the KVM tends to be required - as
>quite a few laptops do not provide enough power for the KVM to work.
>
>Do a google for the part number of the D-Link.

I picked up the D-Link very cheap second hand (from a boot sale!) so
I'm not too bothered about it, I just thought there might be a setting
in windows or a program to download that would automatically refresh
the dead Mouse when I switched over.

Fortunately the problem seems to be academic for the moment since
after numerous switches and both computers being powered down it is
working fine - I just wish I knew what I had done to make it work so I
don't get this problem next time!

-
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!
Ihavetoknowwhatwhoeverdesigneditwastryingtoprotect!
(Blakes 7, City on the Edge of the World - Vila in typical panic mode)

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 17, 2004 12:29:26 PM

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:08:20 +0100, Luke Curtis <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:38:29 GMT, "Dorothy Bradbury"
><dorothy.bradbury@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm afraid the D-Link KVM are not the best.
>>Belkin aren't brilliant - but are at least relatively compatible.
>>
>>Do a google for KVM and carefully read through the many problems/solutions:
>>o There may be a solution with the D-Link
>>o Alternatively the USB-to-PS/2 adapter may be the problem
>>o It is an extra layer of interfacing the D-Link may not tolerate
>>
>>D-Link are generally economic, ok - but can have compatibility issues.
>>That goes historically with a lot of their kit right from the early days.
>>
>>There are cheap KVM switches on the market, eg, Shock, which despite
>>the plasticy case, oddball connectors, and low price do work quite well.
>>If using a laptop a separate PSU for the KVM tends to be required - as
>>quite a few laptops do not provide enough power for the KVM to work.
>>
>>Do a google for the part number of the D-Link.
>

>I picked up the D-Link very cheap second hand (from a boot sale!) so
>I'm not too bothered about it, I just thought there might be a setting
>in windows or a program to download that would automatically refresh
>the dead Mouse when I switched over.
>
>Fortunately the problem seems to be academic for the moment since
>after numerous switches and both computers being powered down it is
>working fine - I just wish I knew what I had done to make it work so I
>don't get this problem next time!

For anybody following the thread I *think* I gave found the solution:

Although the manual says to boot computers at the same time this
always produced the losing mouse problem, however if I make sure that
I boot with the "other" machine on view (ie boot machine 1 with
machine 2 selected, and then boot machine 2 with machine 1 selected)
then the problem does not seem to show itself, I would imagine this is
something to do with "training" the computer to take to off situation
as normal.
-

!