Newbie question on CD-RWs

Mac

How many times can I re-record a CD-RW. If I am using it to back-up data
for example, how many times can I re-burn the CD-RW? Is it just like a
magnetic media?

mac

Ummm 1000 times ??, yet to have one fail on me ?

"Little TeaPot" <Scully@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> Ummm 1000 times ??, yet to have one fail on me ?

blah top-posting blah

Conversely, i've had discs go duff after (i guess) a hundred rewrites. I
guess it depends on the quality of the media, the batch, the writer, storage
conditions etc.

They're cheap enough for the answer to be "enough times".

They are rated for about 1000 rewrites.

--
DaveW

mac wrote:
> How many times can I re-record a CD-RW. If I am using it to back-up data
> for example, how many times can I re-burn the CD-RW? Is it just like a
> magnetic media?
>
> mac

1,000 times, depending upon the quality of the media.

No, rather than 'magnetic', it is 'impressionable' media.

Why don't you try http://google.com in a search of all of the data,
straight from the horses' mouth? Ritek makes a huge percentage of all
CD media. Therefore, Ritek could be a good word to 'search'!

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 02:16:32 GMT, "mac" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote:

>How many times can I re-record a CD-RW. If I am using it to back-up data
>for example, how many times can I re-burn the CD-RW? Is it just like a
>magnetic media?
>
>mac

I used to use RW media 5 times, rotating it, and didn't have
a problem with any discs save one or two that seemed
defective, wouldn't work even the first time nor subsequent
attempt on different machine.

In theory you're supposedly able to rewrite around 1000
times, but in theory CDR is supposed to last 10-50 years,
and i've have some of those fail within a year or two even
when properly stored, so the ideal solution here is to not
depend on a single piece of media, have failure tolerance,
redundant backups.

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:10:14 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 02:16:32 GMT, "mac" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote:
>
>>How many times can I re-record a CD-RW. If I am using it to back-up data
>>for example, how many times can I re-burn the CD-RW? Is it just like a
>>magnetic media?
>>
>>mac
>>

>I used to use RW media 5 times, rotating it, and didn't have
>a problem with any discs save one or two that seemed
>defective, wouldn't work even the first time nor subsequent
>attempt on different machine.
>
>In theory you're supposedly able to rewrite around 1000
>times, but in theory CDR is supposed to last 10-50 years,
>and i've have some of those fail within a year or two even
>when properly stored, so the ideal solution here is to not
>depend on a single piece of media, have failure tolerance,
>redundant backups.

I have 7 CD/RW disks for daily backup. Each disk has been writen to
about 50 times so far without error. I do a verification anfter
writing and run CD Check to check CD. No problems so far

DJT