More floppy info

While I truly appreciate all the help, I'm still at a quandry as to why
after installing a floppy drive into the system having all the trouble, then
removing it and installing it into a good system I now encounter the drive
as bad. I hope I'm explaining this correctly.

The system I'm attempting to build is: FIC AU13 motherboard with an AMD
XP3200 processor, 512 mb PC3200 RAM(all this was supposedly "tested" before
shipping!) the board has onboard sound & Lan. The vid card I currently have
to use due to budget constraints is a Nvidia Geforce4 440MX 64 mb AGP. I
also want to override the onboard sound with a SoundBlaster Live PCI. This
is all run with a Codegen 350W power supply. Now, this is the system having
all the trouble, I have a new motherboard coming from the dealer on Monday,
but as I said, whenever I install a floppy drive, regardless of the brand,
it does not work. All I get is errors on bootup regarding the floppy
failure. I installed 3 known good drives and in fact pulled a good drive
from the old system I'm using right now to post this message. After
receiving yet another floppy failure message, I placed that drive BACK into
the machine it originally came from.that's when I started worrying because
now the drive failed on the machine it came from! So, again, what would
cause damage (?) to drives installed on the new machine?

I hope I made the problem somewhat clearer!

Thank you all again, great advice and always, always appreciated!

Gerry
gwolf@wi.rr.com

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:56:01 GMT, "Gerry Wolf"
<gwolf@wi.rr.com> wrote:

>While I truly appreciate all the help, I'm still at a quandry as to why
>after installing a floppy drive into the system having all the trouble, then
>removing it and installing it into a good system I now encounter the drive
>as bad. I hope I'm explaining this correctly.
>
>The system I'm attempting to build is: FIC AU13 motherboard with an AMD
>XP3200 processor, 512 mb PC3200 RAM(all this was supposedly "tested" before
>shipping!) the board has onboard sound & Lan. The vid card I currently have
>to use due to budget constraints is a Nvidia Geforce4 440MX 64 mb AGP. I
>also want to override the onboard sound with a SoundBlaster Live PCI. This
>is all run with a Codegen 350W power supply. Now, this is the system having
>all the trouble, I have a new motherboard coming from the dealer on Monday,
>but as I said, whenever I install a floppy drive, regardless of the brand,
>it does not work. All I get is errors on bootup regarding the floppy
>failure. I installed 3 known good drives and in fact pulled a good drive
>from the old system I'm using right now to post this message. After
>receiving yet another floppy failure message, I placed that drive BACK into
>the machine it originally came from.that's when I started worrying because
>now the drive failed on the machine it came from! So, again, what would
>cause damage (?) to drives installed on the new machine?
>
>I hope I made the problem somewhat clearer!
>
>Thank you all again, great advice and always, always appreciated!
>
>Gerry
>gwolf@wi.rr.com

Incorrect bios settings for the floppy could prevent usage,
but should not damage it. Ignoring unlikely problems (say
for example you have a child that likes to stab things with
a screwdriver) the only three remaining might be-

Cabling problem (generall just prevents drive from working)

Power suppy problem (Codegen is junk, here's an internal pic
of their 350, more like a low quality 235W,
http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/psu/codegen350/codegen350-06.jpg
)
Motherboard failure (offhand don't know what this might be,
perhaps a manufacturing defect or something shorting out).

Frankly, I'd replace the power supply now... maybe it's the
current problem, maybe not, but I'd go ahead and do that and
see if it resolves this. Sparkle/Fortron 350W might be a
good replacement.

This is going to sound strange but it's true. I had a case fan that also
had a thermistor cable attached to it. The fan was powered by the
motherboard via a 3-pin header. The fan was wreaking havoc with my floppy.
Once I disconnected it, all was well. I put in another case fan without a
thermistor and again all was well (into the same 3-pin header). I suspect
the fan was producing excessive EMI, perhaps conducted through the 3-pin
header or radiated. Since I didn't exhaustively test the problem, I'm
assuming the thermistor was somehow related but it could also have simply
been a bad fan or the motherboard did not have adequate filtering. Long
story short, disconnecting a case fan and retrying doesn't take much time so
it may be worth a try.