Problems booting from Ultra ATA PCI card

Hi,

I just got an ITE8212 Ultra ATA PCI card, and I wanted to use this in an
older PC with an Epox P55TV2 motherboard. The motherboard has, I
believe, the last BIOS that Epox made available for it.

I have two drives. One is an old 2.5GB Fujitsu, which I had attached to
the mobo's onboard IDE port.

I installed Win2K from scratch from CD, and did the F6 thing to install
the drivers for the ITE8212 PCI card. Everything went ok, and in
Windows Device Manager, I can see the ITE8212 card under "SCSI
adapters".

I powered down the machine, and moved the IDE cable (an 80-wire cable)
from the onboard IDE port to IDE1 on the ITE8212 PCI card.

I then powered the machine on, and set the boot sequence to SCSI first
in the BIOS, and then exited the BIOS setup.

The next thing I see is the ITE Setup and I went into that and set the
configuration to "Normal" since I have only a single IDE drive, and then
I exited the setup.

The "DMI..." prompt came up for a second or so, and then the machine
goes back to rebooting from the beginning.

I've tried all kinds of things to try to make this work, including
moving the ITE8212 PCI card to different PCI slots, disabling the
onboard IDE ports in BIOS, etc., but I can't get it to boot off of the
Fujitsu drive when it's plugged into the ITE8212 PCI card.

I moved the Fujitsu's IDE cable back to the onboard IDE port, and
plugged an 80GB Seagate into IDE1 on the ITE8212 PCI card, and booted
into Win2K.

In Win2K, I can see the 80GB Seagate drive partitions fine, so it seems
like the PCI card is "kind of" working... I just can't seem to boot off
of any drives attached through it.

I would really like to be able to boot from a drive via the PCI card, in
order to let me use a larger drive for my system partition, so if anyone
has any ideas or experience with this, I'd really appreciate any
suggestions.

Also, a bit off-topic, but the specs for this PCI card claim that it
works with ATAPI devices (e.g., CDROMS), but when I plugged a CDROM into
it, it didn't even seem to see the CDROM. Has anyone ever used this
particular Ultra ATA card? Does it support ATAPI?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Hi,

For the record, I was able to resolve the problem by flashing the BIOS
on the PCI card using a utility from ITE's website
(http://www.ite.com.tw) called ITEFLASH.exe. Actually, I found two BIOS
images: one supporting RAID but no ATAPI, and one not supporting but
supporting ATAPI. Both seem to work ok.

After flashing the PCI card BIOS, the machine boots fine, and the
machine is running pretty well...much faster than with the old drive.

Unbelievable...the card is new, just purchased, and yet the production
BIOS on it just wouldn't boot :(...

Jim

ohaya wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For the record, I was able to resolve the problem by flashing the BIOS
> on the PCI card using a utility from ITE's website
> (http://www.ite.com.tw) called ITEFLASH.exe. Actually, I found two BIOS
> images: one supporting RAID but no ATAPI, and one not supporting but
> supporting ATAPI. Both seem to work ok.
>
> After flashing the PCI card BIOS, the machine boots fine, and the
> machine is running pretty well...much faster than with the old drive.
>
> Unbelievable...the card is new, just purchased, and yet the production
> BIOS on it just wouldn't boot :(...
>
> Jim

Hi,

A further note re. this PCI card. When I connected an older (probably
ATA/33 or 66) IDE drive to it, the drive was detected properly, but for
some reason, writing to the drive seems VERY (I'm talking minutes to
write maybe a couple of kbytes) slow. There seems to be some kind of
incompatibility with older drives, because as soon as I move the drive
cable back to the onboard IDE port, the older drive works ok.

Jim