Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
My network has a few machines on it. For some reason I can access my main machine from any other, but get a "you don't have permission" message if I try to access any other computers. All are running Win XP Pro, all cables are good and I've tried two routers (both Linksys, different models). Is there a permissions setting I'm missing?

Also, is there a way to share the wwwroot folder on my web server with my main machine so I can upload updates without having to go through the "Sahred Documents" folder, then walking ot the server and moving to wwwroot folder? Can it be done securely?

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

melvin13

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
your running a workgroup model i take it? This is not a hardware issue. There is a setting in XP under windows explorer under tools -> folder options -> on the view tab

Uncheck the "use simple file sharing" its a pain in the arse.

With a workgroup model to makes things easier when it comes for permissions (but a pain) is to have user accounts created on all machines, same user ID's and passwords. This way when your promted for credentials, the machine your requesting from will authenticate you with the user account created locally on that machine. Where as a domain model all authentications are done by domain controllers with 1 central user database replicated to each other.

For your wwwroot folder you can set up a share on that dir. Then from the machine you want update from just go start -> run -> \\machinename\share and a window should pop up to that folder. Then you can drag/dop cut/copy paste to that new window. Also should be accessible from My Network places.

andy655321

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2002
Or, if you don't want to set up accounts, you can Enable the "Guest" account. That should allow "unknown" users to access the shares on the XP box.