Question about windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

samb91

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Hi,

I thinking of getting windows 7 Home Prem retail Edition in the next couple of days, But I will be building a new Gaming PC in around 8 months time.

So my question is If I install windows 7 on my old PC will I be able to install the same windows 7 disc on my new PC? I've heard Microsoft link the disc to your hardware configuration or something like that.

Solution
If you're getting the full-blown retail edition, then yes you can install it on your current PC now, and then on your new PC in 8 months, but you must remove 7 from your old PC when you install it on your new one. Retail licenses can be transferred from PC to PC, but they can only exist on one at a time.
If you're getting the full-blown retail edition, then yes you can install it on your current PC now, and then on your new PC in 8 months, but you must remove 7 from your old PC when you install it on your new one. Retail licenses can be transferred from PC to PC, but they can only exist on one at a time.

Solution

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
The_Prophecy is right that you will need a (more expensive) Full Retail edition to do that. The (much cheaper) OEM version is tied to the hardware (motherboard, specifically) you first install it on. Change the mobo, and you have to call MS to reactivate it. They are only supposed give you the necessary re-activation key if your mobo died and you had to replace it. You could always lie to get it from them, but I strongly discourage that.

Status
Not open for further replies.