We hear about the heat, wheres the tornadoes?

That what I said awhile ago when people were talking huge storms of all types.
It seems no matter what they said in the past is like the weather, it may happen, or it may not, as weve always known it

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
There may still be some unknowns but I think we have a pretty good idea of just about every weather cycle there is. I would contribute the lack of tornadoes to the drought that is gripping a lot of the U.S. We should be more worried about dust bowl 2.

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

There was a thunder storm last week and then the week before that, so there is going to be one this week? Damn it, got a tee time for 230 today.

Actually johsonma is right: Drought's silver lining: Fewest July tornadoes on record

There were only 24 tornadoes throughout the United States last month, according to preliminary data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, by far the fewest for a July since records began in the 1950s. This shatters the record low of 42 tornadoes set in July 1960.

Why so few twisters? "The one-word answer is drought," said Bob Henson, a meteorologist and science writer for the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo. Fewer rainstorms means fewer chances for tornadoes, which form only in thunderstorms. "If you don't have thunderstorms, you can't get a tornado," Henson told OurAmazingPlanet.

Record drought has gripped much of the country, with nearly two-thirds of the 48 contiguous states in some stage of drought. Part of the reason for the drought — and hence the lack of tornado-producing storms — is the presence of a high-pressure "heat dome" over much of the country.

The year started out differently, with unusually high tornado activity. In March, for example, there were 151 tornadoes, well above average, Henson said. These deadly storms made up the first billion-dollar disaster of the year.

But tornadoes grew scarcer as drought started to take hold in mid- to late April. From May through July, there were 231 tornadoes, the fewest in this span since high-quality record-keeping began in the 1950s, according to the U.S. Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Okla.

In many years, a large percentage of tornadoes occur on a handful of days when conditions are right, such as strong upper-level winds and unstable air near the ground. This year was no different, with 153 twisters – a third of the year's current total – occurring on just three days: Feb. 29, March 2 and April 14. [Infographic: Tornado! How, When & Where Twisters Form ]

A significantly greater number of tornadoes can be recorded now than in decades past due to the increased number of storm chasers and the ease of sharing photos or video of twisters, which makes this July's record all the more impressive. Researchers have created "inflation-adjusted" stats that reflect how many tornadoes likely occurred in years past.

After 2012, the most tornado-starved Julys were in 2002, 2006 and 2007, according to the adjusted data. The Julys of 2002, 2006 and 2012 also were among the nation's warmest months in the last century, Henson said. When a summer month is unusually hot, the polar jet stream generally has been pushed well to the north by domes of high pressure. That leaves less upper-level energy to fuel tornado-creating thunderstorms. Non-tornadic storms (which rely less on wind shear and more on heat and moisture) may still pop up, assuming drought hasn't taken hold, Henson said.

With the jet stream pushed to the north, Canada had more tornadoes than the United States last month, which is very unusual, Henson said.

Personally I'm glad to give them Canucks all my tornado quota :p..

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Quote from your first article:

Researchers also found that this increase would occur during typical stormy seasons and not during dry seasons when it may be beneficial.

July is dry?
Also, the amounts of larger storms are in decline according to NOAA
So, they are not close to their predictions and warnings and claims and scare tactics
This would mean, even in a dry season, thered still be more larger tornadoes, which is in decline, not only in amount of large ones, but overall.

So, the extra 4-5% water vapor has just disappeared from the planet? Which was also from my link
They failed to account for droughts?
Is this reasonable to you? At all? By the best of the best?
This is not in their forecasts, it was rising water, rising water vapor etc etc, yet nothing on droughts?
Then why include it?
Hanson cant do this, this was not in his forecasting, so no arm chair quarterbacking

^ Weather patterns depend on many factors, such as the course of the jet stream, La Nina and El Nino, etc etc. My understanding is that there is a La Nina continuing in the tropical Pacific Ocean, which means continued drought in the middle and eastern US: http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2011/20110908_lanina.html

Personally we've gotten a bit more rain here in the NoVA region in the last couple weeks than we did in from the middle of June - middle of July, although we did get the stinkin' Derecho on June 30.

We had no power for 4 days - I had to fill up a small generator every 6 hours to run 2 refrigerators plus a window AC unit. We camped out in the basement at night as the interior temperature was about 95 degrees upstairs. My niece from Vietnam who is on a student visa declared Saigon was cooler than DC :p..

We also lost around $1K in my wife's nail salon due to Comcast not being able to sort out their VOIP 800 number service, nor fix the Internet modem for 4 days, so the credit card machine didn't work. Cash or check only. Would have been worse except there was a bank and ATM one block away, plus we offered free chilled water & soda to the customers.

Yeah, we lost several trees, neighbors lost alot of them, now their fire pit sits out in the middle of nowhere, their front yard, other neighbors lost many trees, as they thinned them, allowing the 85 mph winds to knock them down, whereas the trees here arent thinned, and we lost but a few.
When the power was out, we made lemonaide, as we put in a new electric box, rewiring everything, not having to wait on the power company :)

The pattern of La Nina has ended, and were in for a change, tho, I just used the word pattern, a four letter word to some regarding the weather

^ Wish I had lost a couple neighbors - blown away like Dorothy & Toto :p..

Considering that Earth's weather is a typical dynamic equilibrium system (chaotic in nature), I can see both sides of the climate argument. I don't think we understand enough yet about all the negative and positive feedback systems inherent to lay the blame positively on CO2 or bovine methane emissions :p. Many physical systems exhibit local minima, where you have a restoring force until you exceed a threshold and then drop into the next local minimum.

Which in itself is a pattern, much like quantum theory.
There is a link, and as fazers said, I see both side, but the variations of making claims on the weather are too diverse to pinpoint.
Likelyhoods are generally accepted, and the lack of forecasting droughts and lack of tornadoes I find inadequate, especially those espousing such mighty claims.
Now, how this effects their prognostications, we will never know, since this apparently wasnt in their foresight and testing.
Which only leads us back to the diversity of possibilities, and keeps me and others questioning the full understanding of our weather, our planet and space and its effects.
If you have any links towards global warming, droughts and lack of larger storms, itd be much appreciated

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

As far as I know humans coming into existence and pouring out excessive emissions has not happened before, therefore how can there be a pattern? You can relate it to volcano eruptions and the like but it is not the same, these are "unknown" variables. The only evidence to work with is the evidence we can collect in the here and now, all previous weather patterns are null and void due to the inclusion of new variables. There is only one real clear indicator that should be looked at here, the rise in temperature directly correlates with the rise in CO2 emissions. No other factor comes close to matching up with the rise in global temperature. You speak of the diversity of our climate and you are right, but sometimes its the simplest answer thats the right one.

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Its a constant variable that is taken into account, the earth's orbit always has one point where it is closest and one point were it is farthest away from the son. The northern hemisphere's summer is actually during the farthest stretch. During all these droughts we were actually as far away from the sun as we can get as a collective planet, obviously the northern hemisphere was a "little" closer.

http://www.space.com/16425-earth-farthest-from-sun-2012-aphelion.html

Okay, but what happens when before this effect happened, and we still had very little understanding.
The infancy of understanding the weather, using as much history as can be applied hasnt helped us at all, and as for easy reasonings, this in itself calls up a red flag, as those themselves making such claims would deny our previous understandings.
You see, theyve left us with nothing but their viewpoint, denying the past as useless, which we are still barely understanding today, and are to plow ahead with some knowledge about something thats little understood, and what we did know doesnt apply, and I just ask why?
The only pattern is....the sun?
Cant use the past?
The cosmos?
Cant use the past?
Global warming?
Yes, its the only explanation
Earths previous earthquakes, their results, whats left from them, and how that will change because of the earlier change from them, we cant use?
No
Asteroids and their subsequent effects, which may take x amount of years, effect current and past weather?
No
Making assumptions that this isnt exactly whats supposed to happen? No
If people arent skeptical about these things, then theres something wrong in their thinking, tho, researching an end, effects and other findings is the way to go, but the so called experts spouting these things are but a tiny part in our overall understanding of whats meant to be regarding the weather

We do have some historical or geological facts at our disposal, however. Back in the Carboniferous age, some 300 to 360 million years ago, much of the terrestrial carbon was locked up in the form of wood (lignin) that animals bacterial and fungi had not yet learned to digest. Sea levels were lower and there were lots of swampy and marshland areas where trees would fall and eventually turn into coal deposits due to not rotting. Atmospheric CO2 levels were very low and O2 levels very high (maybe as high as 35% of the atmosphere, compared with just 20% today). Insects were able to grow to huge sizes (think dragonflies the size of large birds, beetles the size of a rat). But the Carboniferous age started out warmer than today's temperatures, although it did cool down to below today's. Most scientists think that was due to the supercontinent Pangaea forming, which altered the jet streams and ocean currents more than anything else.

So IMO we have had greater variation in the CO2 and other atmospheric gas composition in the past that what we've seen so far.

That said, I'm also in favor of developing alternative energy sources, including safe nuclear, since oil is limited and mostly controlled by states that are not exactly our best friends :p..

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
We as a species should try and avoid a possible self imposed extinction scenario. Not just gamble on "Eh, maybe its something else".

Even if our understanding is limited all the more reason not to introduce as many variables into the environment.