Intel Pro 2200bg - channel selection

Hi !

My new laptop is equipped with the Intel Pro 2200bd wireless card.

How can I change the channel the card is using ?

I looked into the card's properties and can't find anything related to
that information.. Going into the connection's properties isn't more
successful.

I'm using xp-pro(sp2) - and the connection's properties shows that
windows is used to configure the wireless network.

Thanks

Wireless adapters will automatically tune into specific channels on an as
needed basis. Why do you need to set a specific channel for this adapter?

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless

"Michel S." <NoSpam@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi !
>
> My new laptop is equipped with the Intel Pro 2200bd wireless card.
>
> How can I change the channel the card is using ?
>
> I looked into the card's properties and can't find anything related to
> that information.. Going into the connection's properties isn't more
> successful.
>
> I'm using xp-pro(sp2) - and the connection's properties shows that windows
> is used to configure the wireless network.
>
> Thanks

Thank you both Pavel and Jerry for answering..

The purpose of selecting a channel on "client" side was a way I was
investigating to reduce noise & interference. At home, (an apartment
building), my laptop detect not less than 17 wireless networks !

Since I experience frequent "disconnections" and a low data transfer
rate, I tought that setting my router to a specific channel AND my PC
card to the same channel would act as a filter, reduce some overhead
and improve performance..

I read that some cards drivers (cisco) allow to manually select the
client channel..

I guess from your answer that it's the exception, not the rule..

Seems like it's not the way to look..

Thanks again.

"Michel S." <NoSpam@msn.com> wrote in message news:mn.f81d7d55204a7a06.33676@msn.com...
> Hi !
>
> My new laptop is equipped with the Intel Pro 2200bd wireless card.
>
> How can I change the channel the card is using ?
>
> I looked into the card's properties and can't find anything related to
> that information.. Going into the connection's properties isn't more
> successful.
>
> I'm using xp-pro(sp2) - and the connection's properties shows that
> windows is used to configure the wireless network.
>
> Thanks

The channel is set in the Access point or wireless router.
A client netcard will automatically tune to that channel.

Channels for peer to peer connection are set in a proprietary way, see documentation from the vendor.

--PA

The client adapter will automatically use the channel the access point is
broadcasting on. You don't need to specify a channel on the client.

There are many sources of interference and unfortunately the band used by
802.11b and 802.11g devices is a busy place. Microwave ovens, 2.4ghz
phones, bluetooth devices, and those pesky neighbors with wireless networks
are all sharing the same frequencies.