Slow running PC after DVD RW installation

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • DVD RW
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
September 19, 2004 10:07:26 AM

Can anyone help me?

I've just installed an internal DVD+-RW (Pika One Dual DVD) as a
second CD Drive into my pc, and it seems to have slowed up my pc, in
particular my Media Player Winamp is very crackly and slow playing,
and any fast graphics are run slowly. I've checked the task manager
and the CPU usage and RAM seems ok. More worryingly, I unplugged the
internal DVD RW and the problem persists, despite several reboots.
Does anyone know what I can do about this?

Specs:
Packard Bell
Windows XP
AMD AThlon 1700+
ATI Graphics Card, with dual monitors
No Sound Card
40 GB HD with 80GB Slave

If anyone could help I would be very grateful,

Jake

More about : slow running dvd installation

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 19, 2004 2:56:28 PM

Jake wrote:
> Packard Bell

They still exist? <cringes>

> If anyone could help I would be very grateful,

When you installed the new DVD drive, did you put it on the same channel
(cable) as the hard drive? That may not be the ideal configuration, if
another channel is available.

But since you mention that the problem persists even after removing the
drive, can you verify that your hard drive is operating in UDMA mode?
You should be able to check this via the Hardware Manager. You could
also benchmark it with HDTach.

-WD
!