Motherboards, Any recommendations, Please?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.ibm.pc.hardware (More info?)

I am looking to update my computer. New motherboard, cpu memory, etc.

I am looking for suggestions starting with motherboard recommendations.
anyone have any suggestions?

Curent configuration:

Epox 8kta3
AMD Athalon 1.00GHz
1.12 GHz of ram memory
Seagate SATA hard drive
2 dvd

"news" <mm183837@yahooo.com> wrote in message

" I am looking for suggestions starting with motherboard recommendations.
anyone have any suggestions? "

A budget would help, and also advising what you intend to use your system
for.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.ibm.pc.hardware (More info?)

No specific budget. Just general internet usage, dvd movies, online music
and videos.

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
> "news" <mm183837@yahooo.com> wrote in message
>
> " I am looking for suggestions starting with motherboard recommendations.
> anyone have any suggestions? "
>

> A budget would help, and also advising what you intend to use your system
> for.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.ibm.pc.hardware (More info?)

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:11:17 GMT, "news"
<mm183837@yahooo.com> wrote:

>No specific budget. Just general internet usage, dvd movies, online music
>and videos.

With these modest uses, what do you find slow about a 1GHz
CPU plus > 1GB of memory (presuming that was meant from
"1.12 GHz") ?

Internet shouldn't be effected much, DVD movies should play
full speed, full quality on your box. If anything the video
card might be upgraded, for absolute best DVD the newer ATI
cards are generally best, but nVidia's aren't bad either...
but then you made no mention of the card presently used.

Online music will have no benefit, any old Pentium II box is
sufficient for that.

Videos, depends on exactly what you mean... playing videos
encoded with somewhat CPU dependant codec like Divx, at full
DVD resolution, will benefit from CPU upgrade, but the most
modern, most expensive platforms are certainly not
necessary.

The best bang for the buck for described uses would probably
be somthing like:

$65 Basic nForce2 motherboard

$150 Pair of 512MB PC3200 Memory Modules (1GB not really
necessary for desribed use of system, but since you already
had 1GB in current system...)

$55 Athlon XP2400

$90 Video Card (like Radeon 9600)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.ibm.pc.hardware (More info?)

Thanks for the recommendations. Sometimes CPU gets maxed out.