  • Ebay
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 17, 2004 3:15:32 PM

I see some cartridges on ebay but most are expirated ,are these
cartridges still can be use like a year?

More about : good expirated cartridges

Anonymous
August 17, 2004 9:23:24 PM

On 17 Aug 2004 11:15:32 -0700, assouwe@yahoo.com (get high) wrote:

>I see some cartridges on ebay but most are expirated ,are these
>cartridges still can be use like a year?

That depends on how well the ink cart are sealed, whether there's a
break in the seal or not, and whether it's genuine brand or cheap 3rd
party knock off.

So far I've been able to use official HP and Canon carts more than a
year past date but I wouldn't count on expired ink cart working every
time. They may not last as long.

PS it's spelled expired. ^_^
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
Anonymous

get high wrote:
> I see some cartridges on ebay but most are expirated ,are these
> cartridges still can be use like a year?

You mean 'expired' - 'expirated' isn't a word! ;o) Personally, I wouldn't
risk it.
lose his marbles?
August 18, 2004 12:43:46 PM

It may depend upon the brand. Some HP printers actually read the
expiration date and will stop working if the cartridge is beyond a
certain date.

In general, dye inks will conservatively last at least one year beyond
the expiration date, probably longer. Pigmented inks are more fragile,
especially once the bottle has been opened, or if it cannot be stored in
a cool area.

Art

get high wrote:

> I see some cartridges on ebay but most are expirated ,are these
> cartridges still can be use like a year?
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 1:52:54 PM

Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message news:<6FEUc.20778$jZ5.4067@clgrps13>...
> It may depend upon the brand. Some HP printers actually read the
> expiration date and will stop working if the cartridge is beyond a
> certain date.
>
> In general, dye inks will conservatively last at least one year beyond
> the expiration date, probably longer. Pigmented inks are more fragile,
> especially once the bottle has been opened, or if it cannot be stored in
> a cool area.

I think I've seen instructions for at least some pigment inks from
Epson that say to shake it up first before installing -- presumably
there is some settling of pigment particles. This also may hint as to
how epson pigment cartridges age.

Mike
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 2:01:19 AM

"Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
> It may depend upon the brand. Some HP printers actually read the
> expiration date and will stop working if the cartridge is beyond a
> certain date.

This applies to the higher end HP printers that use seperate ink tanks and
printheads. Ink that is too old may become more viscous and plug the
printheads or the plumbing, so the printer checks the expiration of the ink and
disables printing if the ink is too old. (I recall it is 3.5 years from date
of manufacture.)

The integrated printhead HP products (including all DeskJet and Photosmart
printers) do not have any such enforced expiration date. The warranty date for
these cartridges is typically six months beyond the "install by" date printed
on the package.

Regards,
MS MVP Printing/Imaging
!