How good are expirated cartridges?

I see some cartridges on ebay but most are expirated ,are these
cartridges still can be use like a year?
5 answers Last reply
More about good expirated cartridges

    On 17 Aug 2004 11:15:32 -0700, assouwe@yahoo.com (get high) wrote:

    >I see some cartridges on ebay but most are expirated ,are these
    >cartridges still can be use like a year?

    That depends on how well the ink cart are sealed, whether there's a
    break in the seal or not, and whether it's genuine brand or cheap 3rd
    party knock off.

    So far I've been able to use official HP and Canon carts more than a
    year past date but I wouldn't count on expired ink cart working every
    time. They may not last as long.

    PS it's spelled expired. ^_^
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    get high wrote:
    > I see some cartridges on ebay but most are expirated ,are these
    > cartridges still can be use like a year?

    You mean 'expired' - 'expirated' isn't a word! ;o) Personally, I wouldn't
    risk it.
    lose his marbles?

    It may depend upon the brand. Some HP printers actually read the
    expiration date and will stop working if the cartridge is beyond a
    certain date.

    In general, dye inks will conservatively last at least one year beyond
    the expiration date, probably longer. Pigmented inks are more fragile,
    especially once the bottle has been opened, or if it cannot be stored in
    a cool area.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message news:<6FEUc.20778$jZ5.4067@clgrps13>...
    > It may depend upon the brand. Some HP printers actually read the
    > expiration date and will stop working if the cartridge is beyond a
    > certain date.
    >
    > In general, dye inks will conservatively last at least one year beyond
    > the expiration date, probably longer. Pigmented inks are more fragile,
    > especially once the bottle has been opened, or if it cannot be stored in
    > a cool area.

    I think I've seen instructions for at least some pigment inks from
    Epson that say to shake it up first before installing -- presumably
    there is some settling of pigment particles. This also may hint as to
    how epson pigment cartridges age.

    Mike

    "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
    > It may depend upon the brand. Some HP printers actually read the
    > expiration date and will stop working if the cartridge is beyond a
    > certain date.

    This applies to the higher end HP printers that use seperate ink tanks and
    printheads. Ink that is too old may become more viscous and plug the
    printheads or the plumbing, so the printer checks the expiration of the ink and
    disables printing if the ink is too old. (I recall it is 3.5 years from date
    of manufacture.)

    The integrated printhead HP products (including all DeskJet and Photosmart
    printers) do not have any such enforced expiration date. The warranty date for
    these cartridges is typically six months beyond the "install by" date printed
    on the package.

    Regards,
    MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Printers Ebay Peripherals