Western Digital Introduces HDD for Home/Office NAS Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear WD,
it is not that we have not had a choice, it is that you have been attempting to screw your customers by now allowing us to RAID your cheap drives, and the solution has been both simple and satisfying: Buy Samsung or Seagate, both of whom make better drives than WD to begin with.

G

I just bought a WD 2TB Black Enterprise Hard drive, but what disadvantages or advantages does it compare to these new "Red" line of hard drives? Or is the the "Red" line just a re-badge of the Black Enterprise series of hard drives?

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
At least with the IntelliPower spec, these seem similar to the Green drives. I'd like to see a benchmark comparison between all of their HDD lines to see what the practical differences are

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
You can tell if this is a shitty product by seeing 3D somewhere in description!
Everything now sells if has 3D somewhere, even if it has nothing to do with 3D Movies... but for the sheeps it works!
And...fully NAS compatible hard drive? There is a standard for this so a drive should be compatible or not?
I have a small NAS (freeNAS) with 5 drives in it (3 of them are WD... go figure) and they perform perfectly! Even more the software spin them down when are not in use so they are power efficient too.
So what this RED ones have "extra what" that should make me buy them?

daleheller

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Considering the delta in pricing on the existing blue, green, and black, one has to wonder why there is need in the marketplace for this variant. I've been running WD green and old black in my NAS (Netgear) with no problems for years. So what exactly, does Red buy us as consumers? There seem to be a lot of plattitudes, but little in specifications. Oh wait, there is the shorter warranty period, that's a plus for NAS builders ????

[citation][nom]_Cosmin_[/nom]So what this RED ones have "extra what" that should make me buy them?[/citation]
Just a guess, but they could be more suitable for RAID use if they were adjusted to simply report sector errors instead of trying to fix them for a specified time period. RAID controllers generally expect to fix these issues themselves, and see the long non-response from the desktop drive, while it is trying to work around the problem, as a drive failing out of the array.

popatim

Titan
[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]I just bought a WD 2TB Black Enterprise Hard drive, but what disadvantages or advantages does it compare to these new "Red" line of hard drives? Or is the the "Red" line just a re-badge of the Black Enterprise series of hard drives?[/citation]

Red is just a re-badged green drive imo, since they (green drives) have such a horrible history and reputation. WD seems to have fixed most of the issues but they still don't sell well so now they get a new name. Red for Kepp away! LMAO. Stupid WD.

Status
Not open for further replies.