a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 2:38:04 AM

Hi,

I have a problem with a machine where I turn it on and nothing boots
and oddly enough, I don't get any beep codes.

Details:
power supply is atx 2.03
motherboard is ga-7vax (have already tried replacing the motherboard)

I have done the following:
Removed disks, ram, all cards, fans, and even the processor.

Shouldn't I receive a beep code or two for stripping everything off
the motherboard?

The only thing else I could think of was the power supply, but the
disks and fans (when connected) receive power. However, I don't know
enough about power supplies. Is it possible that part of the
motherboard isn't power? Or is power on a motherboard all or nothing?

Thanks in advance for any help or hints. I would really appreciate
just about anything at this point.

-Kevin

More about : potential power supply problem

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 12:53:15 PM

blocker1@chuey.net (Kevin Chu) wrote in message news:<c081de8a.0409192138.1938e942@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with a machine where I turn it on and nothing boots
> and oddly enough, I don't get any beep codes.
>
> Details:
> power supply is atx 2.03
> motherboard is ga-7vax (have already tried replacing the motherboard)
>
> I have done the following:
> Removed disks, ram, all cards, fans, and even the processor.
>
> Shouldn't I receive a beep code or two for stripping everything off
> the motherboard?
>
> The only thing else I could think of was the power supply, but the
> disks and fans (when connected) receive power. However, I don't know
> enough about power supplies. Is it possible that part of the
> motherboard isn't power? Or is power on a motherboard all or nothing?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help or hints. I would really appreciate
> just about anything at this point.
>
> -Kevin

I really don't know of any motherboard that would produce any beeps
when the processor is not in there. Some BIOSs will have long steady
beeps when the memory isn't in there. Some will power up and do
nothing. If the fans are spinning and all your LEDs light up then
most likely the PSU is still good. The BIOS chip could also be bad,
but you have replaced the MB. I would check a couple of things:

1. The CMOS jumper is not set to clear.
2. The CPU fan is plugged into the CPUFAN1 slot.
3. Try to test the RAM in another computer.
4. Try to test the CPU in another computer.

My guess is that either the CPU or RAM is either bad or seated
incorrectly.

-Jay
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 3:11:14 AM

Sounds like it may be a faulty power supply unit to me. I would recommend
replacing it with a known working one. This would be the easiest test you
could run.

--
DaveW

"Kevin Chu" <blocker1@chuey.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with a machine where I turn it on and nothing boots
> and oddly enough, I don't get any beep codes.
>
> Details:
> power supply is atx 2.03
> motherboard is ga-7vax (have already tried replacing the motherboard)
>
> I have done the following:
> Removed disks, ram, all cards, fans, and even the processor.
>
> Shouldn't I receive a beep code or two for stripping everything off
> the motherboard?
>
> The only thing else I could think of was the power supply, but the
> disks and fans (when connected) receive power. However, I don't know
> enough about power supplies. Is it possible that part of the
> motherboard isn't power? Or is power on a motherboard all or nothing?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help or hints. I would really appreciate
> just about anything at this point.
>
> -Kevin
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 27, 2004 12:23:55 PM

jcousins@crtpr.com (Jay Cousins) wrote in message news:<59f788f4.0409200753.1a568158@posting.google.com>...
> blocker1@chuey.net (Kevin Chu) wrote in message news:<c081de8a.0409192138.1938e942@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem with a machine where I turn it on and nothing boots
> > and oddly enough, I don't get any beep codes.
> >
> > Details:
> > power supply is atx 2.03
> > motherboard is ga-7vax (have already tried replacing the motherboard)
> >
> > I have done the following:
> > Removed disks, ram, all cards, fans, and even the processor.
> >
> > Shouldn't I receive a beep code or two for stripping everything off
> > the motherboard?
> >
> > The only thing else I could think of was the power supply, but the
> > disks and fans (when connected) receive power. However, I don't know
> > enough about power supplies. Is it possible that part of the
> > motherboard isn't power? Or is power on a motherboard all or nothing?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help or hints. I would really appreciate
> > just about anything at this point.
> >
> > -Kevin
>
> I really don't know of any motherboard that would produce any beeps
> when the processor is not in there. Some BIOSs will have long steady
> beeps when the memory isn't in there. Some will power up and do
> nothing. If the fans are spinning and all your LEDs light up then
> most likely the PSU is still good. The BIOS chip could also be bad,
> but you have replaced the MB. I would check a couple of things:
>
> 1. The CMOS jumper is not set to clear.

The machine used to work and none of the motherboard settings have
been changed, so I'm assuming all the settings on the motherboard are
correct.

> 2. The CPU fan is plugged into the CPUFAN1 slot.
> 3. Try to test the RAM in another computer.
> 4. Try to test the CPU in another computer.

Shouldn't I be able to eliminate the CPU and RAM from being the
culprit because I removed them? Or is my assumption that the
motherboard would beep if those two components were missing faulty?

Thanks,
Kevin

> My guess is that either the CPU or RAM is either bad or seated
> incorrectly.
>
> -Jay
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 27, 2004 1:01:24 PM

jcousins@crtpr.com (Jay Cousins) wrote in message news:<59f788f4.0409200753.1a568158@posting.google.com>...
> blocker1@chuey.net (Kevin Chu) wrote in message news:<c081de8a.0409192138.1938e942@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem with a machine where I turn it on and nothing boots
> > and oddly enough, I don't get any beep codes.
> >
> > Details:
> > power supply is atx 2.03
> > motherboard is ga-7vax (have already tried replacing the motherboard)
> >
> > I have done the following:
> > Removed disks, ram, all cards, fans, and even the processor.
> >
> > Shouldn't I receive a beep code or two for stripping everything off
> > the motherboard?
> >
> > The only thing else I could think of was the power supply, but the
> > disks and fans (when connected) receive power. However, I don't know
> > enough about power supplies. Is it possible that part of the
> > motherboard isn't power? Or is power on a motherboard all or nothing?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help or hints. I would really appreciate
> > just about anything at this point.
> >
> > -Kevin
>
> I really don't know of any motherboard that would produce any beeps
> when the processor is not in there. Some BIOSs will have long steady
> beeps when the memory isn't in there. Some will power up and do
> nothing. If the fans are spinning and all your LEDs light up then
> most likely the PSU is still good. The BIOS chip could also be bad,
> but you have replaced the MB. I would check a couple of things:
>
> 1. The CMOS jumper is not set to clear.

The machine used to work and none of the motherboard settings have
been changed, so I'm assuming all the settings on the motherboard are
correct.

> 2. The CPU fan is plugged into the CPUFAN1 slot.
> 3. Try to test the RAM in another computer.
> 4. Try to test the CPU in another computer.

Shouldn't I be able to eliminate the CPU and RAM from being the
culprit because I removed them? Or is my assumption that the
motherboard would beep if those two components were missing faulty?

Thanks,
Kevin

> My guess is that either the CPU or RAM is either bad or seated
> incorrectly.
>
> -Jay
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2004 3:50:13 AM

> jcousins@crtpr.com (Jay Cousins) wrote in message
> > blocker1@chuey.net (Kevin Chu) wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a problem with a machine where I turn it on and nothing boots
> > > and oddly enough, I don't get any beep codes.
> > >
> > > Details:
> > > power supply is atx 2.03
> > > motherboard is ga-7vax (have already tried replacing the motherboard)
> > >
> > > I have done the following:
> > > Removed disks, ram, all cards, fans, and even the processor.
> > >
> > > Shouldn't I receive a beep code or two for stripping everything off
> > > the motherboard?
> > >
> > > The only thing else I could think of was the power supply, but the
> > > disks and fans (when connected) receive power. However, I don't know
> > > enough about power supplies. Is it possible that part of the
> > > motherboard isn't power? Or is power on a motherboard all or nothing?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any help or hints. I would really appreciate
> > > just about anything at this point.
> > >
> > > -Kevin
> >
> > I really don't know of any motherboard that would produce any beeps
> > when the processor is not in there. Some BIOSs will have long steady
> > beeps when the memory isn't in there. Some will power up and do
> > nothing. If the fans are spinning and all your LEDs light up then
> > most likely the PSU is still good. The BIOS chip could also be bad,
> > but you have replaced the MB. I would check a couple of things:
> >
> > 1. The CMOS jumper is not set to clear.
>
> The machine used to work and none of the motherboard settings have
> been changed, so I'm assuming all the settings on the motherboard are
> correct.
>
> > 2. The CPU fan is plugged into the CPUFAN1 slot.
> > 3. Try to test the RAM in another computer.
> > 4. Try to test the CPU in another computer.
>
> Shouldn't I be able to eliminate the CPU and RAM from being the
> culprit because I removed them? Or is my assumption that the
> motherboard would beep if those two components were missing faulty?
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin
> >

> > My guess is that either the CPU or RAM is either bad or seated
> > incorrectly.
> >
> > -Jay

I think if the bios has gone bad there are no beeps, Also...If the CPU has
been removed it will not beep. also check to make sure your PC speaker is
hooked up and nothing is wrong with the wires. That could be why it will
not beep. If Only memory is bad or removed, it will give 3 long beeps. but
I do not think anything happens with a dead CPU. If you have another CPU
with the same Socket set you might want to try it in this one. BUT you risk
damaging the other CPU if it was a problem with the motherboard. Be careful
with that.

Kevin
!