potential power supply problem?

Hi,

I have a problem with a machine where I turn it on and nothing boots
and oddly enough, I don't get any beep codes.

Details:
power supply is atx 2.03
motherboard is ga-7vax (have already tried replacing the motherboard)

I have done the following:
Removed disks, ram, all cards, fans, and even the processor.

Shouldn't I receive a beep code or two for stripping everything off
the motherboard?

The only thing else I could think of was the power supply, but the
disks and fans (when connected) receive power. However, I don't know
enough about power supplies. Is it possible that part of the
motherboard isn't power? Or is power on a motherboard all or nothing?

Thanks in advance for any help or hints. I would really appreciate
just about anything at this point.

-Kevin
5 answers Last reply
More about potential power supply problem

    blocker1@chuey.net (Kevin Chu) wrote in message news:<c081de8a.0409192138.1938e942@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a problem with a machine where I turn it on and nothing boots
    > and oddly enough, I don't get any beep codes.
    >
    > Details:
    > power supply is atx 2.03
    > motherboard is ga-7vax (have already tried replacing the motherboard)
    >
    > I have done the following:
    > Removed disks, ram, all cards, fans, and even the processor.
    >
    > Shouldn't I receive a beep code or two for stripping everything off
    > the motherboard?
    >
    > The only thing else I could think of was the power supply, but the
    > disks and fans (when connected) receive power. However, I don't know
    > enough about power supplies. Is it possible that part of the
    > motherboard isn't power? Or is power on a motherboard all or nothing?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help or hints. I would really appreciate
    > just about anything at this point.
    >
    > -Kevin

    I really don't know of any motherboard that would produce any beeps
    when the processor is not in there. Some BIOSs will have long steady
    beeps when the memory isn't in there. Some will power up and do
    nothing. If the fans are spinning and all your LEDs light up then
    most likely the PSU is still good. The BIOS chip could also be bad,
    but you have replaced the MB. I would check a couple of things:

    1. The CMOS jumper is not set to clear.
    2. The CPU fan is plugged into the CPUFAN1 slot.
    3. Try to test the RAM in another computer.
    4. Try to test the CPU in another computer.

    My guess is that either the CPU or RAM is either bad or seated
    incorrectly.

    -Jay

    Sounds like it may be a faulty power supply unit to me. I would recommend
    replacing it with a known working one. This would be the easiest test you
    could run.

    --
    DaveW

    jcousins@crtpr.com (Jay Cousins) wrote in message news:<59f788f4.0409200753.1a568158@posting.google.com>...
    > blocker1@chuey.net (Kevin Chu) wrote in message news:<c081de8a.0409192138.1938e942@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a problem with a machine where I turn it on and nothing boots
    > > and oddly enough, I don't get any beep codes.
    > >
    > > Details:
    > > power supply is atx 2.03
    > > motherboard is ga-7vax (have already tried replacing the motherboard)
    > >
    > > I have done the following:
    > > Removed disks, ram, all cards, fans, and even the processor.
    > >
    > > Shouldn't I receive a beep code or two for stripping everything off
    > > the motherboard?
    > >
    > > The only thing else I could think of was the power supply, but the
    > > disks and fans (when connected) receive power. However, I don't know
    > > enough about power supplies. Is it possible that part of the
    > > motherboard isn't power? Or is power on a motherboard all or nothing?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any help or hints. I would really appreciate
    > > just about anything at this point.
    > >
    > > -Kevin
    >
    > I really don't know of any motherboard that would produce any beeps
    > when the processor is not in there. Some BIOSs will have long steady
    > beeps when the memory isn't in there. Some will power up and do
    > nothing. If the fans are spinning and all your LEDs light up then
    > most likely the PSU is still good. The BIOS chip could also be bad,
    > but you have replaced the MB. I would check a couple of things:
    >
    > 1. The CMOS jumper is not set to clear.

    The machine used to work and none of the motherboard settings have
    been changed, so I'm assuming all the settings on the motherboard are
    correct.

    > 2. The CPU fan is plugged into the CPUFAN1 slot.
    > 3. Try to test the RAM in another computer.
    > 4. Try to test the CPU in another computer.

    Shouldn't I be able to eliminate the CPU and RAM from being the
    culprit because I removed them? Or is my assumption that the
    motherboard would beep if those two components were missing faulty?

    Thanks,
    Kevin

    > jcousins@crtpr.com (Jay Cousins) wrote in message
    > > blocker1@chuey.net (Kevin Chu) wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I have a problem with a machine where I turn it on and nothing boots
    > > > and oddly enough, I don't get any beep codes.
    > > >
    > > > Details:
    > > > power supply is atx 2.03
    > > > motherboard is ga-7vax (have already tried replacing the motherboard)
    > > >
    > > > I have done the following:
    > > > Removed disks, ram, all cards, fans, and even the processor.
    > > >
    > > > Shouldn't I receive a beep code or two for stripping everything off
    > > > the motherboard?
    > > >
    > > > The only thing else I could think of was the power supply, but the
    > > > disks and fans (when connected) receive power. However, I don't know
    > > > enough about power supplies. Is it possible that part of the
    > > > motherboard isn't power? Or is power on a motherboard all or nothing?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance for any help or hints. I would really appreciate
    > > > just about anything at this point.
    > > >
    > > > -Kevin
    > >
    > > I really don't know of any motherboard that would produce any beeps
    > > when the processor is not in there. Some BIOSs will have long steady
    > > beeps when the memory isn't in there. Some will power up and do
    > > nothing. If the fans are spinning and all your LEDs light up then
    > > most likely the PSU is still good. The BIOS chip could also be bad,
    > > but you have replaced the MB. I would check a couple of things:
    > >
    > > 1. The CMOS jumper is not set to clear.
    >
    > The machine used to work and none of the motherboard settings have
    > been changed, so I'm assuming all the settings on the motherboard are
    > correct.
    >
    > > 2. The CPU fan is plugged into the CPUFAN1 slot.
    > > 3. Try to test the RAM in another computer.
    > > 4. Try to test the CPU in another computer.
    >
    > Shouldn't I be able to eliminate the CPU and RAM from being the
    > culprit because I removed them? Or is my assumption that the
    > motherboard would beep if those two components were missing faulty?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kevin
    > >

    > > My guess is that either the CPU or RAM is either bad or seated
    > > incorrectly.
    > >
    > > -Jay

    I think if the bios has gone bad there are no beeps, Also...If the CPU has
    been removed it will not beep. also check to make sure your PC speaker is
    hooked up and nothing is wrong with the wires. That could be why it will
    not beep. If Only memory is bad or removed, it will give 3 long beeps. but
    I do not think anything happens with a dead CPU. If you have another CPU
    with the same Socket set you might want to try it in this one. BUT you risk
    damaging the other CPU if it was a problem with the motherboard. Be careful
    with that.

    Kevin

Homebuilt Power Supplies Motherboards Systems