psu switch problem???

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

my xp system keep powering down and rebooting this weekend. no sassar virus.
kept doing it even when in bios screen. power switch on front suspected. we
extricated the psu, took the cover off and hoovered all the muck up inside -
not that I thought that it would make a difference, just expected to have to
buy a new psu anyway!!

local shop said to disconnect power leads to switch and short then release
the pins. It worked and ran for 3 hours. just reconnected the switch leads
and all seems well and has worked for 2 more without hitch.

any ideas folks on what is really going on? Is the system sulking cos I
haven;t installed sp2??
2 answers Last reply
More about switch problem
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "BillyBoy" <BillyBoy87639@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > my xp system keep powering down and rebooting this weekend. no sassar
    virus.
    > kept doing it even when in bios screen. power switch on front suspected.
    we
    > extricated the psu, took the cover off and hoovered all the muck up
    inside -
    > not that I thought that it would make a difference, just expected to have
    > buy a new psu anyway!!
    >
    > local shop said to disconnect power leads to switch and short then release
    > the pins. It worked and ran for 3 hours. just reconnected the switch leads
    > and all seems well and has worked for 2 more without hitch.
    >
    > any ideas folks on what is really going on? Is the system sulking cos I
    > haven;t installed sp2??

    nothing to do with not having sp2
    is the cpu cooling fan working OK?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    First, the power supply controller is on motherboard.
    Second, to learn more, signals and voltages exchanged between
    controller and PSU must be measured. Eyes cannot see
    electrons. You require a 3.5 digit multimeter.

    For example, the power supply controller may have locked out
    - entered a protective state. To reset that protective
    lockout, completely remove power cord from computer or wall
    receptacle. This is but one possible reason.

    BillyBoy wrote:
    > my xp system keep powering down and rebooting this weekend. no
    > sassar virus. kept doing it even when in bios screen. power
    > switch on front suspected. we extricated the psu, took the cover
    > off and hoovered all the muck up inside - not that I thought
    > that it would make a difference, just expected to have to buy a
    > new psu anyway!!
    >
    > local shop said to disconnect power leads to switch and short
    > then release the pins. It worked and ran for 3 hours. just
    > reconnected the switch leads and all seems well and has worked
    > for 2 more without hitch.
    >
    > any ideas folks on what is really going on? Is the system
    > sulking cos I haven;t installed sp2??

Homebuilt Hardware Switch Systems