Refurbished laptops

Hello:

I'm in the market for a laptop. As money is tight, I've been exploring
the used/refurbished market.

The laptop doesn't need to have a lot of horsepower. It would be used
for word processing, E-mail, Web surfing and file transfer through the
network port.

I'm currently considering a refurbished IBM Thinkpad offered on IBM's
Website. The price fits my budget and the hardware specs look good.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience buying anything from
IBM in this manner? Positive or negative experiences would be appreciated.

regards,
me
19 answers Last reply
More about refurbished laptops

    How cheap is it? I have seen old, very slow refurbished notebooks for
    over $500, while some new much faster notebooks are only around
    $600-700.

    me wrote:

    > Hello:
    >
    > I'm in the market for a laptop. As money is tight, I've been exploring
    > the used/refurbished market.
    >
    > The laptop doesn't need to have a lot of horsepower. It would be used
    > for word processing, E-mail, Web surfing and file transfer through the
    > network port.
    >
    > I'm currently considering a refurbished IBM Thinkpad offered on IBM's
    > Website. The price fits my budget and the hardware specs look good.
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone here has any experience buying anything from
    > IBM in this manner? Positive or negative experiences would be appreciated.
    >
    > regards,
    > me

    Hello J:

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change. They
    are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated modem,
    graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.

    You are correct some brands are pushing new laptops priced in the $600
    to $700 range. These low-end laptops usually only have 128 MB RAM, and
    just a CD-ROM drive. CPUs aside, to get them with a CD-RW (something I
    do need), upgrade to 256 MB RAM, modem and NIC, you are often looking at
    $1,000 or more.

    Thanks again for your thoughts.

    regards,
    me

    me wrote:

    > Hello J:
    >
    > Thanks for your thoughts.
    >
    > IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change.

    You could probably get a nice new Athlon XP notebook for not much more
    than that.

    > They
    > are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated modem,
    > graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.

    UGH! $600+ for that? You can get a new Athlon XP2400+ or faster
    notebook with a 30 or 40 gig hard drive, 15" screen 256 meg ram
    modem, and CDRW drive for $700 or less. I wouldn't pay more than
    $300 for a refurbished 800 mhz p3 notebook.

    In article <4150ce1a$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>, me <noname@nomail.com> wrote:
    >Hello J:
    >
    >Thanks for your thoughts.
    >
    >IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change. They
    >are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated modem,
    >graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.
    >
    >You are correct some brands are pushing new laptops priced in the $600
    >to $700 range. These low-end laptops usually only have 128 MB RAM, and
    >just a CD-ROM drive. CPUs aside, to get them with a CD-RW (something I
    >do need), upgrade to 256 MB RAM, modem and NIC, you are often looking at
    >$1,000 or more.
    >
    >Thanks again for your thoughts.
    >
    >regards,
    > me

    There are lots of used IBM laptops showing up here in NYC and the
    people I know that have purchased one have been happy with it.

    IMO the major downside is that the battery doesn't hold as much of a
    charge as when new.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message

    > me wrote:
    >
    >> Hello J:
    >>
    >> Thanks for your thoughts.
    >>
    >> IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change.
    >
    > You could probably get a nice new Athlon XP notebook for not much
    > more
    > than that.
    >
    >> They
    >> are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated
    >> modem,
    >> graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.
    >
    > UGH! $600+ for that? You can get a new Athlon XP2400+ or faster
    > notebook with a 30 or 40 gig hard drive, 15" screen 256 meg ram
    > modem, and CDRW drive for $700 or less. I wouldn't pay more than
    > $300 for a refurbished 800 mhz p3 notebook.

    I just love these kind of statements. --WHERE--

    Frank wrote:

    > "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >
    > > me wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hello J:
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for your thoughts.
    > >>
    > >> IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change.
    > >
    > > You could probably get a nice new Athlon XP notebook for not much
    > > more
    > > than that.
    > >
    > >> They
    > >> are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated
    > >> modem,
    > >> graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.
    > >
    > > UGH! $600+ for that? You can get a new Athlon XP2400+ or faster
    > > notebook with a 30 or 40 gig hard drive, 15" screen 256 meg ram
    > > modem, and CDRW drive for $700 or less. I wouldn't pay more than
    > > $300 for a refurbished 800 mhz p3 notebook.
    >
    > I just love these kind of statements. --WHERE--

    I can't find the $700 notebooks now. I guess they were August specials.
    Here is a nice Athlon XP2800+ notebook for $799.
    http://store.yahoo.com/pccityusa/co21atxpmo.html

    > >> You are correct some brands are pushing new laptops priced in the
    > >> $600
    > >> to $700 range. These low-end laptops usually only have 128 MB RAM,
    > >> and
    > >> just a CD-ROM drive. CPUs aside, to get them with a CD-RW
    > >> (something I
    > >> do need), upgrade to 256 MB RAM, modem and NIC, you are often
    > >> looking at
    > >> $1,000 or more.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks again for your thoughts.
    > >>
    > >> regards,
    > >> me

    I bought a Thinkpad 600E from secondwindpc in Chicago, so far so good
    (almost 2 years old)

    Check them out at http://www.secondwindpcs.com/index.php
    I saw a Thinkpad T22 for a little over $600

    Al Dykes wrote:
    > In article <4150ce1a$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>, me <noname@nomail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello J:
    >>
    >>Thanks for your thoughts.
    >>
    >>IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change. They
    >>are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated modem,
    >>graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.
    >>
    >>You are correct some brands are pushing new laptops priced in the $600
    >>to $700 range. These low-end laptops usually only have 128 MB RAM, and
    >>just a CD-ROM drive. CPUs aside, to get them with a CD-RW (something I
    >>do need), upgrade to 256 MB RAM, modem and NIC, you are often looking at
    >>$1,000 or more.
    >>
    >>Thanks again for your thoughts.
    >>
    >>regards,
    >> me
    >>

    > There are lots of used IBM laptops showing up here in NYC and the
    > people I know that have purchased one have been happy with it.
    >

    > IMO the major downside is that the battery doesn't hold as much of a
    > charge as when new.

    That is a serious consideration too because the cost of a replacement
    battery is not trivial.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Hello:

    Thanks to all who responded. I checked again tonight at Dell, HP and
    IBM. Cheapest new laptop I could find had a 1.6 GHz. Celeron, 128 MB RAM
    and a CD-ROM drive for around $800.

    As I stated in my original post, this thing does not need to have all
    the latest, greatest hardware.

    That said, I'm still leaning toward the used/refurbished side.

    Thanks again for sharing your wisdom.

    regards,
    me

    David Maynard wrote:
    > Al Dykes wrote:
    >
    >> In article <4150ce1a$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>, me <noname@nomail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello J:
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your thoughts.
    >>>
    >>> IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change.
    >>> They are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated
    >>> modem, graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.
    >>>
    >>> You are correct some brands are pushing new laptops priced in the
    >>> $600 to $700 range. These low-end laptops usually only have 128 MB
    >>> RAM, and just a CD-ROM drive. CPUs aside, to get them with a CD-RW
    >>> (something I do need), upgrade to 256 MB RAM, modem and NIC, you are
    >>> often looking at $1,000 or more.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again for your thoughts.
    >>>
    >>> regards,
    >>> me
    >>>

    >> There are lots of used IBM laptops showing up here in NYC and the
    >> people I know that have purchased one have been happy with it.
    >>

    >> IMO the major downside is that the battery doesn't hold as much of a
    >> charge as when new.
    >

    > That is a serious consideration too because the cost of a replacement
    > battery is not trivial.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    What don't you like about this XP2800+ notebook for $799? It has 256 meg,
    a 30 gig hard drive,15" monitor, CDRW/DVD drive, modem, NIC , etc.

    http://store.yahoo.com/pccityusa/co21atxpmo.html

    It is a much better deal than a Celeron notebook, or an old refurbished
    Pentium 3 for over $600.

    me wrote:

    > Hello:
    >
    > Thanks to all who responded. I checked again tonight at Dell, HP and
    > IBM. Cheapest new laptop I could find had a 1.6 GHz. Celeron, 128 MB RAM
    > and a CD-ROM drive for around $800.
    >
    > As I stated in my original post, this thing does not need to have all
    > the latest, greatest hardware.
    >
    > That said, I'm still leaning toward the used/refurbished side.
    >
    > Thanks again for sharing your wisdom.
    >
    > regards,
    > me
    >
    > David Maynard wrote:
    > > Al Dykes wrote:

    > >> There are lots of used IBM laptops showing up here in NYC and the
    > >> people I know that have purchased one have been happy with it.
    > >>

    > >> IMO the major downside is that the battery doesn't hold as much of a
    > >> charge as when new.
    > >

    > > That is a serious consideration too because the cost of a replacement
    > > battery is not trivial.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    me wrote:

    > Hello:
    >
    > Thanks to all who responded. I checked again tonight at Dell, HP and
    > IBM. Cheapest new laptop I could find had a 1.6 GHz. Celeron, 128 MB RAM
    > and a CD-ROM drive for around $800.
    >
    > As I stated in my original post, this thing does not need to have all
    > the latest, greatest hardware.
    >
    > That said, I'm still leaning toward the used/refurbished side.
    >
    > Thanks again for sharing your wisdom.
    >
    > regards,
    > me
    >
    > David Maynard wrote:
    > > Al Dykes wrote:

    > >> There are lots of used IBM laptops showing up here in NYC and the
    > >> people I know that have purchased one have been happy with it.
    > >>

    > >> IMO the major downside is that the battery doesn't hold as much of a
    > >> charge as when new.
    > >

    > > That is a serious consideration too because the cost of a replacement
    > > battery is not trivial.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On 22 Sep 2004 10:28:18 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >In article <4150ce1a$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>, me <noname@nomail.com> wrote:
    >>Hello J:
    >>
    >>Thanks for your thoughts.
    >>
    >>IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change. They
    >>are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated modem,
    >>graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.
    >>
    >>You are correct some brands are pushing new laptops priced in the $600
    >>to $700 range. These low-end laptops usually only have 128 MB RAM, and
    >>just a CD-ROM drive. CPUs aside, to get them with a CD-RW (something I
    >>do need), upgrade to 256 MB RAM, modem and NIC, you are often looking at
    >>$1,000 or more.
    >>
    >>Thanks again for your thoughts.
    >>
    >>regards,
    >> me
    >>

    >There are lots of used IBM laptops showing up here in NYC and the
    >people I know that have purchased one have been happy with it.
    >

    >IMO the major downside is that the battery doesn't hold as much of a
    >charge as when new.
    >

    >>JK wrote:
    >>
    >>> How cheap is it? I have seen old, very slow refurbished notebooks for
    >>> over $500, while some new much faster notebooks are only around
    >>> $600-700.

    Things are bit different down under in Australia. The cheapest celeron
    laptop was $1200. Ibought a p3 750 Thinkpad from IBM thru EBay for
    $551 delivered. I have had no problems and it was supplied with a new
    battery. It contained modem & network card along with CDRon drive with
    a legal copy of W98se. I am very happy with it.

    DT
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "D.T" wrote:

    > On 22 Sep 2004 10:28:18 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:
    >
    > >In article <4150ce1a$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>, me <noname@nomail.com> wrote:
    > >>Hello J:
    > >>
    > >>Thanks for your thoughts.
    > >>
    > >>IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change. They
    > >>are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated modem,
    > >>graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.
    > >>
    > >>You are correct some brands are pushing new laptops priced in the $600
    > >>to $700 range. These low-end laptops usually only have 128 MB RAM, and
    > >>just a CD-ROM drive. CPUs aside, to get them with a CD-RW (something I
    > >>do need), upgrade to 256 MB RAM, modem and NIC, you are often looking at
    > >>$1,000 or more.
    > >>
    > >>Thanks again for your thoughts.
    > >>
    > >>regards,
    > >> me
    > >>

    > >There are lots of used IBM laptops showing up here in NYC and the
    > >people I know that have purchased one have been happy with it.
    > >

    > >IMO the major downside is that the battery doesn't hold as much of a
    > >charge as when new.

    > Things are bit different down under in Australia. The cheapest celeron
    > laptop was $1200.

    $857 US.

    > Ibought a p3 750 Thinkpad from IBM thru EBay for
    > $551 delivered.

    Australian? That is $393 US. Not so bad. The Op wants to pay
    $600+ US for a refurbished Pentium 3 notebook. I think that is
    crazy. I showed him a great new Athlon XP 2800+ notebook
    for $799 US. I don't know why he is still thinking about the
    refurb. If he needs to buy a new battery for the refurb, then it
    may end up costing him almost the same price as the notebook I
    suggested. The refurb is also extremely slow compared to
    the notebook I suggested.

    > I have had no problems and it was supplied with a new
    > battery.

    That is great. He didn't mention the one he is interested in coming
    with a new battery. if he shops a bit harder, he might be able to
    find a decent refurb notebook in the $300-400 US range.

    > It contained modem & network card along with CDRon drive with
    > a legal copy of W98se. I am very happy with it.
    >
    > DT
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    I buy my used ones at computer shows. Never had a problem with them. You
    can talk to the seller in person, of course, and they'll often throw in some
    extra memory, or what have you, to close the deal. If you go that route,
    get a card with a phone number on it if you have to call about it later.

    Allen
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:51:54 -0400, "!Allen Lasting"
    <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote:

    >I buy my used ones at computer shows. Never had a problem with them. You
    >can talk to the seller in person, of course, and they'll often throw in some
    >extra memory, or what have you, to close the deal. If you go that route,
    >get a card with a phone number on it if you have to call about it later.
    >
    >Allen

    better than (or in conjunction with) a phone number is to go
    to the show the first day of a mult-day event so you can
    return if there's a problem.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    yeah, first day of show is excellent idea.
    The battery issue is always there because they only last a couple of years
    in the first place, so by the time they're being unloaded it's usually time
    to buy a battery.
    I maintain inventory on an old P2 300 compaq that hasn't had a battery in it
    for 2 years. I run it off the AC adapter.

    Used laptops are so cheap I have them dedicated to single uses, one for the
    inventory, one for my family tree, etc. Keeps things organized. When I had
    everything on one, all I got was chaos and confusion.

    Allen
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    >> Ibought a p3 750 Thinkpad from IBM thru EBay for
    >> $551 delivered.

    > Australian? That is $393 US. Not so bad. The Op wants to pay
    > $600+ US for a refurbished Pentium 3 notebook. I think that is
    > crazy. I showed him a great new Athlon XP 2800+ notebook
    > for $799 US. I don't know why he is still thinking about the
    > refurb. If he needs to buy a new battery for the refurb, then it
    > may end up costing him almost the same price as the notebook I
    > suggested. The refurb is also extremely slow compared to
    > the notebook I suggested.

    >> I have had no problems and it was supplied with a new
    >> battery.

    > That is great. He didn't mention the one he is interested in coming
    > with a new battery. if he shops a bit harder, he might be able to
    > find a decent refurb notebook in the $300-400 US range.
    >
    >> It contained modem & network card along with CDRon drive with
    >> a legal copy of W98se. I am very happy with it.

    WTF "JK"
    Every other post in several groups you are pushing AMD chips.
    Some of us do know better, but we are not a shill for any
    particular Corporation.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Hello:

    Just to bring everyone up to date, I did not fall off the Edge and plunk
    down my hard-earned cash for that used IBM. Instead, I ordered a new
    Dell Inspiron 1150 that was referenced by someone on this thread.

    It's missing a floppy, serial and parallel ports. But it does come with
    a free printer, integrated NIC, modem, CD-RW/DVD drive and it appears to
    have pretty good horsepower.

    Oh, by the way, it has a 2.6 GHz. Celeron and not an AMD chip. I think
    will suit my needs nicely.

    To those who bought from dealers at shows, I had thought of that. We
    used to have fairly regular shows by MarketPro here. But they seem to
    have vanished without a trace and no one stepped in to take their place.

    Thanks for continuing an interesting discussion. Thanks also to all
    those who bought used laptops and shared their stories.

    regards,
    me

    !Allen Lasting wrote:
    > yeah, first day of show is excellent idea.
    > The battery issue is always there because they only last a couple of years
    > in the first place, so by the time they're being unloaded it's usually time
    > to buy a battery.
    > I maintain inventory on an old P2 300 compaq that hasn't had a battery in it
    > for 2 years. I run it off the AC adapter.
    >
    > Used laptops are so cheap I have them dedicated to single uses, one for the
    > inventory, one for my family tree, etc. Keeps things organized. When I had
    > everything on one, all I got was chaos and confusion.
    >
    > Allen

  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:55:19 -0400: written by "!Allen Lasting"
    <bogus@nowhere.net>:

    >I maintain inventory on an old P2 300 compaq that hasn't had a battery in it
    >for 2 years. I run it off the AC adapter.

    Ditto on an old Toshiba Satellite 305CDS.

    >Used laptops are so cheap I have them dedicated to single uses, one for the
    >inventory, one for my family tree, etc. Keeps things organized. When I had
    >everything on one, all I got was chaos and confusion.

    FTP server and audio station in my case.

Homebuilt Laptops Hardware Systems