  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
September 21, 2004 10:56:25 PM

Hello:

I'm in the market for a laptop. As money is tight, I've been exploring
the used/refurbished market.

The laptop doesn't need to have a lot of horsepower. It would be used
for word processing, E-mail, Web surfing and file transfer through the
network port.

I'm currently considering a refurbished IBM Thinkpad offered on IBM's
Website. The price fits my budget and the hardware specs look good.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience buying anything from
IBM in this manner? Positive or negative experiences would be appreciated.

regards,
me

More about : refurbished laptops

September 22, 2004 12:42:05 AM

How cheap is it? I have seen old, very slow refurbished notebooks for
over $500, while some new much faster notebooks are only around
$600-700.

me wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I'm in the market for a laptop. As money is tight, I've been exploring
> the used/refurbished market.
>
> The laptop doesn't need to have a lot of horsepower. It would be used
> for word processing, E-mail, Web surfing and file transfer through the
> network port.
>
> I'm currently considering a refurbished IBM Thinkpad offered on IBM's
> Website. The price fits my budget and the hardware specs look good.
>
> I was wondering if anyone here has any experience buying anything from
> IBM in this manner? Positive or negative experiences would be appreciated.
>
> regards,
> me
September 22, 2004 12:42:06 AM

Hello J:

Thanks for your thoughts.

IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change. They
are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated modem,
graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.

You are correct some brands are pushing new laptops priced in the $600
to $700 range. These low-end laptops usually only have 128 MB RAM, and
just a CD-ROM drive. CPUs aside, to get them with a CD-RW (something I
do need), upgrade to 256 MB RAM, modem and NIC, you are often looking at
$1,000 or more.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

regards,
me

JK wrote:

> How cheap is it? I have seen old, very slow refurbished notebooks for
> over $500, while some new much faster notebooks are only around
> $600-700.
>
> me wrote:
>

>>Hello:
>>
>>I'm in the market for a laptop. As money is tight, I've been exploring
>>the used/refurbished market.
>>
>>The laptop doesn't need to have a lot of horsepower. It would be used
>>for word processing, E-mail, Web surfing and file transfer through the
>>network port.
>>
>>I'm currently considering a refurbished IBM Thinkpad offered on IBM's
>>Website. The price fits my budget and the hardware specs look good.
>>
>>I was wondering if anyone here has any experience buying anything from
>>IBM in this manner? Positive or negative experiences would be appreciated.
>>
>>regards,
>> me

Related resources
September 22, 2004 1:20:36 AM

me wrote:

> Hello J:
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change.

You could probably get a nice new Athlon XP notebook for not much more
than that.

> They
> are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated modem,
> graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.

UGH! $600+ for that? You can get a new Athlon XP2400+ or faster
notebook with a 30 or 40 gig hard drive, 15" screen 256 meg ram
modem, and CDRW drive for $700 or less. I wouldn't pay more than
$300 for a refurbished 800 mhz p3 notebook.

> You are correct some brands are pushing new laptops priced in the $600
> to $700 range. These low-end laptops usually only have 128 MB RAM, and
> just a CD-ROM drive. CPUs aside, to get them with a CD-RW (something I
> do need), upgrade to 256 MB RAM, modem and NIC, you are often looking at
> $1,000 or more.
>
> Thanks again for your thoughts.
>
> regards,
> me
>
> JK wrote:
>
> > How cheap is it? I have seen old, very slow refurbished notebooks for
> > over $500, while some new much faster notebooks are only around
> > $600-700.
> >
> > me wrote:
> >

> >>Hello:
> >>
> >>I'm in the market for a laptop. As money is tight, I've been exploring
> >>the used/refurbished market.
> >>
> >>The laptop doesn't need to have a lot of horsepower. It would be used
> >>for word processing, E-mail, Web surfing and file transfer through the
> >>network port.
> >>
> >>I'm currently considering a refurbished IBM Thinkpad offered on IBM's
> >>Website. The price fits my budget and the hardware specs look good.
> >>
> >>I was wondering if anyone here has any experience buying anything from
> >>IBM in this manner? Positive or negative experiences would be appreciated.
> >>
> >>regards,
> >> me

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b D Laptop
September 22, 2004 2:28:18 PM

In article <4150ce1a$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>, me <noname@nomail.com> wrote:
>Hello J:
>
>Thanks for your thoughts.
>
>IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change. They
>are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated modem,
>graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.
>
>You are correct some brands are pushing new laptops priced in the $600
>to $700 range. These low-end laptops usually only have 128 MB RAM, and
>just a CD-ROM drive. CPUs aside, to get them with a CD-RW (something I
>do need), upgrade to 256 MB RAM, modem and NIC, you are often looking at
>$1,000 or more.
>
>Thanks again for your thoughts.
>
>regards,
> me

There are lots of used IBM laptops showing up here in NYC and the
people I know that have purchased one have been happy with it.

IMO the major downside is that the battery doesn't hold as much of a
charge as when new.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

"JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message

> me wrote:
>
>> Hello J:
>>
>> Thanks for your thoughts.
>>
>> IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change.
>
> You could probably get a nice new Athlon XP notebook for not much
> more
> than that.
>
>> They
>> are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated
>> modem,
>> graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.
>
> UGH! $600+ for that? You can get a new Athlon XP2400+ or faster
> notebook with a 30 or 40 gig hard drive, 15" screen 256 meg ram
> modem, and CDRW drive for $700 or less. I wouldn't pay more than
> $300 for a refurbished 800 mhz p3 notebook.

I just love these kind of statements. --WHERE--

>> You are correct some brands are pushing new laptops priced in the
>> $600
>> to $700 range. These low-end laptops usually only have 128 MB RAM,
>> and
>> just a CD-ROM drive. CPUs aside, to get them with a CD-RW
>> (something I
>> do need), upgrade to 256 MB RAM, modem and NIC, you are often
>> looking at
>> $1,000 or more.
>>
>> Thanks again for your thoughts.
>>
>> regards,
>> me
>>
>> JK wrote:
>>
>> > How cheap is it? I have seen old, very slow refurbished notebooks
>> > for
>> > over $500, while some new much faster notebooks are only around
>> > $600-700.

September 22, 2004 7:36:28 PM

Frank wrote:

> "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
>
> > me wrote:
> >
> >> Hello J:
> >>
> >> Thanks for your thoughts.
> >>
> >> IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change.
> >
> > You could probably get a nice new Athlon XP notebook for not much
> > more
> > than that.
> >
> >> They
> >> are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated
> >> modem,
> >> graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.
> >
> > UGH! $600+ for that? You can get a new Athlon XP2400+ or faster
> > notebook with a 30 or 40 gig hard drive, 15" screen 256 meg ram
> > modem, and CDRW drive for $700 or less. I wouldn't pay more than
> > $300 for a refurbished 800 mhz p3 notebook.
>
> I just love these kind of statements. --WHERE--

I can't find the $700 notebooks now. I guess they were August specials.
Here is a nice Athlon XP2800+ notebook for $799.
http://store.yahoo.com/pccityusa/co21atxpmo.html

> >> You are correct some brands are pushing new laptops priced in the
> >> $600
> >> to $700 range. These low-end laptops usually only have 128 MB RAM,
> >> and
> >> just a CD-ROM drive. CPUs aside, to get them with a CD-RW
> >> (something I
> >> do need), upgrade to 256 MB RAM, modem and NIC, you are often
> >> looking at
> >> $1,000 or more.
> >>
> >> Thanks again for your thoughts.
> >>
> >> regards,
> >> me

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b D Laptop
September 22, 2004 7:36:29 PM

I bought a Thinkpad 600E from secondwindpc in Chicago, so far so good
(almost 2 years old)

Check them out at http://www.secondwindpcs.com/index.php
I saw a Thinkpad T22 for a little over $600

> Frank wrote:
>
> > "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message

> > > You could probably get a nice new Athlon XP notebook for not much
> > > more
> > > than that.

> > > UGH! $600+ for that? You can get a new Athlon XP2400+ or faster
> > > notebook with a 30 or 40 gig hard drive, 15" screen 256 meg ram
> > > modem, and CDRW drive for $700 or less. I wouldn't pay more than
> > > $300 for a refurbished 800 mhz p3 notebook.
> >
> > I just love these kind of statements. --WHERE--
>
> I can't find the $700 notebooks now. I guess they were August specials.
> Here is a nice Athlon XP2800+ notebook for $799.
> http://store.yahoo.com/pccityusa/co21atxpmo.html

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b D Laptop
September 22, 2004 8:09:11 PM

Al Dykes wrote:
> In article <4150ce1a$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>, me <noname@nomail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello J:
>>
>>Thanks for your thoughts.
>>
>>IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change. They
>>are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated modem,
>>graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.
>>
>>You are correct some brands are pushing new laptops priced in the $600
>>to $700 range. These low-end laptops usually only have 128 MB RAM, and
>>just a CD-ROM drive. CPUs aside, to get them with a CD-RW (something I
>>do need), upgrade to 256 MB RAM, modem and NIC, you are often looking at
>>$1,000 or more.
>>
>>Thanks again for your thoughts.
>>
>>regards,
>> me
>>

> There are lots of used IBM laptops showing up here in NYC and the
> people I know that have purchased one have been happy with it.
>

> IMO the major downside is that the battery doesn't hold as much of a
> charge as when new.

That is a serious consideration too because the cost of a replacement
battery is not trivial.
September 23, 2004 12:41:06 AM

Hello:

Thanks to all who responded. I checked again tonight at Dell, HP and
IBM. Cheapest new laptop I could find had a 1.6 GHz. Celeron, 128 MB RAM
and a CD-ROM drive for around $800.

As I stated in my original post, this thing does not need to have all
the latest, greatest hardware.

That said, I'm still leaning toward the used/refurbished side.

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom.

regards,
me

David Maynard wrote:
> Al Dykes wrote:
>
>> In article <4150ce1a$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>, me <noname@nomail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello J:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your thoughts.
>>>
>>> IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change.
>>> They are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated
>>> modem, graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.
>>>
>>> You are correct some brands are pushing new laptops priced in the
>>> $600 to $700 range. These low-end laptops usually only have 128 MB
>>> RAM, and just a CD-ROM drive. CPUs aside, to get them with a CD-RW
>>> (something I do need), upgrade to 256 MB RAM, modem and NIC, you are
>>> often looking at $1,000 or more.
>>>
>>> Thanks again for your thoughts.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> me
>>>

>> There are lots of used IBM laptops showing up here in NYC and the
>> people I know that have purchased one have been happy with it.
>>

>> IMO the major downside is that the battery doesn't hold as much of a
>> charge as when new.
>

> That is a serious consideration too because the cost of a replacement
> battery is not trivial.

September 23, 2004 1:45:26 AM

What don't you like about this XP2800+ notebook for $799? It has 256 meg,
a 30 gig hard drive,15" monitor, CDRW/DVD drive, modem, NIC , etc.

http://store.yahoo.com/pccityusa/co21atxpmo.html

It is a much better deal than a Celeron notebook, or an old refurbished
Pentium 3 for over $600.

me wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Thanks to all who responded. I checked again tonight at Dell, HP and
> IBM. Cheapest new laptop I could find had a 1.6 GHz. Celeron, 128 MB RAM
> and a CD-ROM drive for around $800.
>
> As I stated in my original post, this thing does not need to have all
> the latest, greatest hardware.
>
> That said, I'm still leaning toward the used/refurbished side.
>
> Thanks again for sharing your wisdom.
>
> regards,
> me
>
> David Maynard wrote:
> > Al Dykes wrote:

> >> There are lots of used IBM laptops showing up here in NYC and the
> >> people I know that have purchased one have been happy with it.
> >>

> >> IMO the major downside is that the battery doesn't hold as much of a
> >> charge as when new.
> >

> > That is a serious consideration too because the cost of a replacement
> > battery is not trivial.

September 23, 2004 1:45:28 AM

me wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Thanks to all who responded. I checked again tonight at Dell, HP and
> IBM. Cheapest new laptop I could find had a 1.6 GHz. Celeron, 128 MB RAM
> and a CD-ROM drive for around $800.
>
> As I stated in my original post, this thing does not need to have all
> the latest, greatest hardware.
>
> That said, I'm still leaning toward the used/refurbished side.
>
> Thanks again for sharing your wisdom.
>
> regards,
> me
>
> David Maynard wrote:
> > Al Dykes wrote:

> >> There are lots of used IBM laptops showing up here in NYC and the
> >> people I know that have purchased one have been happy with it.
> >>

> >> IMO the major downside is that the battery doesn't hold as much of a
> >> charge as when new.
> >

> > That is a serious consideration too because the cost of a replacement
> > battery is not trivial.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2004 11:32:18 PM

On 22 Sep 2004 10:28:18 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

>In article <4150ce1a$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>, me <noname@nomail.com> wrote:
>>Hello J:
>>
>>Thanks for your thoughts.
>>
>>IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change. They
>>are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated modem,
>>graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.
>>
>>You are correct some brands are pushing new laptops priced in the $600
>>to $700 range. These low-end laptops usually only have 128 MB RAM, and
>>just a CD-ROM drive. CPUs aside, to get them with a CD-RW (something I
>>do need), upgrade to 256 MB RAM, modem and NIC, you are often looking at
>>$1,000 or more.
>>
>>Thanks again for your thoughts.
>>
>>regards,
>> me
>>

>There are lots of used IBM laptops showing up here in NYC and the
>people I know that have purchased one have been happy with it.
>

>IMO the major downside is that the battery doesn't hold as much of a
>charge as when new.
>

>>JK wrote:
>>
>>> How cheap is it? I have seen old, very slow refurbished notebooks for
>>> over $500, while some new much faster notebooks are only around
>>> $600-700.

Things are bit different down under in Australia. The cheapest celeron
laptop was $1200. Ibought a p3 750 Thinkpad from IBM thru EBay for
$551 delivered. I have had no problems and it was supplied with a new
battery. It contained modem & network card along with CDRon drive with
a legal copy of W98se. I am very happy with it.

DT
September 23, 2004 11:32:19 PM

"D.T" wrote:

> On 22 Sep 2004 10:28:18 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:
>
> >In article <4150ce1a$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>, me <noname@nomail.com> wrote:
> >>Hello J:
> >>
> >>Thanks for your thoughts.
> >>
> >>IBM is selling its refurbished laptops at around $600 and change. They
> >>are 800 MHz. PIIIs with CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD drives, integrated modem,
> >>graphics and NIC, 20 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM.
> >>
> >>You are correct some brands are pushing new laptops priced in the $600
> >>to $700 range. These low-end laptops usually only have 128 MB RAM, and
> >>just a CD-ROM drive. CPUs aside, to get them with a CD-RW (something I
> >>do need), upgrade to 256 MB RAM, modem and NIC, you are often looking at
> >>$1,000 or more.
> >>
> >>Thanks again for your thoughts.
> >>
> >>regards,
> >> me
> >>

> >There are lots of used IBM laptops showing up here in NYC and the
> >people I know that have purchased one have been happy with it.
> >

> >IMO the major downside is that the battery doesn't hold as much of a
> >charge as when new.

> Things are bit different down under in Australia. The cheapest celeron
> laptop was $1200.

$857 US.

> Ibought a p3 750 Thinkpad from IBM thru EBay for
> $551 delivered.

Australian? That is $393 US. Not so bad. The Op wants to pay
$600+ US for a refurbished Pentium 3 notebook. I think that is
crazy. I showed him a great new Athlon XP 2800+ notebook
for $799 US. I don't know why he is still thinking about the
refurb. If he needs to buy a new battery for the refurb, then it
may end up costing him almost the same price as the notebook I
suggested. The refurb is also extremely slow compared to
the notebook I suggested.

> I have had no problems and it was supplied with a new
> battery.

That is great. He didn't mention the one he is interested in coming
with a new battery. if he shops a bit harder, he might be able to
find a decent refurb notebook in the $300-400 US range.

> It contained modem & network card along with CDRon drive with
> a legal copy of W98se. I am very happy with it.
>
> DT
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2004 4:51:54 PM

I buy my used ones at computer shows. Never had a problem with them. You
can talk to the seller in person, of course, and they'll often throw in some
extra memory, or what have you, to close the deal. If you go that route,
get a card with a phone number on it if you have to call about it later.

Allen
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2004 9:42:00 PM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:51:54 -0400, "!Allen Lasting"
<bogus@nowhere.net> wrote:

>I buy my used ones at computer shows. Never had a problem with them. You
>can talk to the seller in person, of course, and they'll often throw in some
>extra memory, or what have you, to close the deal. If you go that route,
>get a card with a phone number on it if you have to call about it later.
>
>Allen

better than (or in conjunction with) a phone number is to go
to the show the first day of a mult-day event so you can
return if there's a problem.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2004 9:42:01 PM

yeah, first day of show is excellent idea.
The battery issue is always there because they only last a couple of years
in the first place, so by the time they're being unloaded it's usually time
to buy a battery.
I maintain inventory on an old P2 300 compaq that hasn't had a battery in it
for 2 years. I run it off the AC adapter.

Used laptops are so cheap I have them dedicated to single uses, one for the
inventory, one for my family tree, etc. Keeps things organized. When I had
everything on one, all I got was chaos and confusion.

Allen
September 24, 2004 9:42:23 PM

>> Ibought a p3 750 Thinkpad from IBM thru EBay for
>> $551 delivered.

> Australian? That is $393 US. Not so bad. The Op wants to pay
> $600+ US for a refurbished Pentium 3 notebook. I think that is
> crazy. I showed him a great new Athlon XP 2800+ notebook
> for $799 US. I don't know why he is still thinking about the
> refurb. If he needs to buy a new battery for the refurb, then it
> may end up costing him almost the same price as the notebook I
> suggested. The refurb is also extremely slow compared to
> the notebook I suggested.

>> I have had no problems and it was supplied with a new
>> battery.

> That is great. He didn't mention the one he is interested in coming
> with a new battery. if he shops a bit harder, he might be able to
> find a decent refurb notebook in the $300-400 US range.
>
>> It contained modem & network card along with CDRon drive with
>> a legal copy of W98se. I am very happy with it.

WTF "JK"
Every other post in several groups you are pushing AMD chips.
Some of us do know better, but we are not a shill for any
particular Corporation.
September 25, 2004 12:23:43 AM

Hello:

Just to bring everyone up to date, I did not fall off the Edge and plunk
down my hard-earned cash for that used IBM. Instead, I ordered a new
Dell Inspiron 1150 that was referenced by someone on this thread.

It's missing a floppy, serial and parallel ports. But it does come with
a free printer, integrated NIC, modem, CD-RW/DVD drive and it appears to
have pretty good horsepower.

Oh, by the way, it has a 2.6 GHz. Celeron and not an AMD chip. I think
will suit my needs nicely.

To those who bought from dealers at shows, I had thought of that. We
used to have fairly regular shows by MarketPro here. But they seem to
have vanished without a trace and no one stepped in to take their place.

Thanks for continuing an interesting discussion. Thanks also to all
those who bought used laptops and shared their stories.

regards,
me

!Allen Lasting wrote:
> yeah, first day of show is excellent idea.
> The battery issue is always there because they only last a couple of years
> in the first place, so by the time they're being unloaded it's usually time
> to buy a battery.
> I maintain inventory on an old P2 300 compaq that hasn't had a battery in it
> for 2 years. I run it off the AC adapter.
>
> Used laptops are so cheap I have them dedicated to single uses, one for the
> inventory, one for my family tree, etc. Keeps things organized. When I had
> everything on one, all I got was chaos and confusion.
>
> Allen

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b D Laptop
September 25, 2004 1:07:30 PM

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:55:19 -0400: written by "!Allen Lasting"
<bogus@nowhere.net>:

>I maintain inventory on an old P2 300 compaq that hasn't had a battery in it
>for 2 years. I run it off the AC adapter.

Ditto on an old Toshiba Satellite 305CDS.

>Used laptops are so cheap I have them dedicated to single uses, one for the
>inventory, one for my family tree, etc. Keeps things organized. When I had
>everything on one, all I got was chaos and confusion.

FTP server and audio station in my case.
!