Please Help: Machine crashes from disk writes

Hi,

I just replaced my 5 year old power supply (it died last night). Now,
whenever I write to the disk extensively, my whole machine hangs.

I've been running happily on Knoppix for several hours now, but as soon
as I try to install anything to hd, the machine becomes completely
unresponsive after about 5 minutes (I've tried doing a Knoppix HD
install, and a gentoo install; both hung the machine while
copying/untarring files to the hard drive).

Do I need a new hard drive, or a new motherboard? Are there any
utilities I can use to check? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.
1 answer Last reply
More about please help machine crashes disk writes

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:13:44 GMT, Mike Evron <evronm@dtcinc.net> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I just replaced my 5 year old power supply (it died last night). Now,
    >whenever I write to the disk extensively, my whole machine hangs.
    >
    >I've been running happily on Knoppix for several hours now, but as soon
    >as I try to install anything to hd, the machine becomes completely
    >unresponsive after about 5 minutes (I've tried doing a Knoppix HD
    >install, and a gentoo install; both hung the machine while
    >copying/untarring files to the hard drive).
    >
    >Do I need a new hard drive, or a new motherboard? Are there any
    >utilities I can use to check? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Mike.

    Maybe your HD has developed bad blocks.

    - Franc Zabkar