Help, I am going crazy over this issue.

I have a P4C800 Dx with an AGP, Radeon All-IN-WONDER 9600 Vcard, WinXP, P4
2.1gig and 512 RAM

After I installed the system everything worked fine. A while back the
picture of my monitor stopped using the full screen, after attempting to fix
the problem with new drivers and checking the hardware, I re-formatted the
PC, a Maxtor 80G which requires a DDO program to be fully recognized by XP,
and installed everything anew.

It was fine untill I started a game, Madden 2005, the screen windowed, not
full screen, while the game was on. On exiting the game, the monitor was
full again.

Well, today even the Windows XP desktop was smaller and everything is back
to where I was.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, on startup, the screen was windowed up to the Win XP Welcome screen.

The screen used to be full all the time, from the start.

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:58:58 -0400, "Cheo Artesano"
<cheoartesano@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a P4C800 Dx with an AGP, Radeon All-IN-WONDER 9600 Vcard, WinXP, P4
>2.1gig and 512 RAM
>
>After I installed the system everything worked fine. A while back the
>picture of my monitor stopped using the full screen, after attempting to fix
>the problem with new drivers and checking the hardware, I re-formatted the
>PC, a Maxtor 80G which requires a DDO program to be fully recognized by XP,
>and installed everything anew.

No, your motherboard determines the hard drive size limit
(rather, it's bios does) and your motherboard does NOT need
a DD0 for an 80GB drive. IMHO, since you are wrestling with
this already, better to back up and figure out what's going
on with the hard drive (check bios settings and drive
jumpers) and get the drive properly working without the DDO.

>It was fine untill I started a game, Madden 2005, the screen windowed, not
>full screen, while the game was on. On exiting the game, the monitor was
>full again.

That sounds more like a game bug than anything else (or
driver problem, considering it's an ATI card).

>Well, today even the Windows XP desktop was smaller and everything is back
>to where I was.

Define "smaller" in this context.
Might it simply be set to a different refresh rate, or is
the actual resolution different?
See if the monitor is properly detected in Display
Properties and/or Device Manager... did you assign the
correct monitor INF file ("driver") for your monitor, or at
least chose Plug N Play? Did you previously boot system
with monitor turned off?

>Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
>
>BTW, on startup, the screen was windowed up to the Win XP Welcome screen.
>
>The screen used to be full all the time, from the start.

Have you adjusted your monitor's on screen displays to try
to correct this previously, thus causing this "windowed"
appearance. "Windowed" could also mean different things,
since the OS is presumably windows, but a window to some
might mean a black border around the displayed image.

If all else fails, uninstall the video driver (Add/remove
programs), reboot, set to generic VGA video, then install
video driver... perhaps a different version this time, the
newest if you weren't previously using newest version...
which may also require newer version of DirectX, like 9b,
though now 9c is current, might as well use that if you have
it.

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:58:58 -0400, "Cheo Artesano"
<cheoartesano@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a P4C800 Dx with an AGP, Radeon All-IN-WONDER 9600 Vcard, WinXP, P4
>2.1gig and 512 RAM
>
>After I installed the system everything worked fine. A while back the
>picture of my monitor stopped using the full screen, after attempting to fix
>the problem with new drivers and checking the hardware, I re-formatted the
>PC, a Maxtor 80G which requires a DDO program to be fully recognized by XP,
>and installed everything anew.
>
>It was fine untill I started a game, Madden 2005, the screen windowed, not
>full screen, while the game was on. On exiting the game, the monitor was
>full again.
>
>Well, today even the Windows XP desktop was smaller and everything is back
>to where I was.
>
>Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
>
>BTW, on startup, the screen was windowed up to the Win XP Welcome screen.
>
>The screen used to be full all the time, from the start.

My first guess is that it is switching to a different resolution.
Does your monitor "remember the sizing of different resolutions" i.e.
a store function on the monitor. If so perhaps you just need to
adjust the monitor in that resolution. My biggest problems are always
when I forget the common.

"M Jackson" <altairusermapson@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:58:58 -0400, "Cheo Artesano"
> <cheoartesano@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a P4C800 Dx with an AGP, Radeon All-IN-WONDER 9600 Vcard, WinXP,
P4
> >2.1gig and 512 RAM
> >
> >After I installed the system everything worked fine. A while back the
> >picture of my monitor stopped using the full screen, after attempting to
fix
> >the problem with new drivers and checking the hardware, I re-formatted
the
> >PC, a Maxtor 80G which requires a DDO program to be fully recognized by
XP,
> >and installed everything anew.
> >
> >It was fine untill I started a game, Madden 2005, the screen windowed,
not
> >full screen, while the game was on. On exiting the game, the monitor was
> >full again.
> >
> >Well, today even the Windows XP desktop was smaller and everything is
back
> >to where I was.
> >
> >Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
> >
> >BTW, on startup, the screen was windowed up to the Win XP Welcome screen.
> >
> >The screen used to be full all the time, from the start.
> >
> My first guess is that it is switching to a different resolution.
> Does your monitor "remember the sizing of different resolutions" i.e.
> a store function on the monitor. If so perhaps you just need to
> adjust the monitor in that resolution. My biggest problems are always
> when I forget the common.

I've had something like this before, It usually is either the monitor going
bad or a driver problem for the monitor. Try going to the manufacturers
site and getting the specific driver for it instead of the one Windows came
with.

When you say "BTW, on startup, the screen was windowed up to the Win XP
Welcome screen." do you mean that it was full screen through BIOS and the
WINXP startup but when you hit the welcome screen it shrinks or is it at all
times when the computer is turned on?

TRENDING THREADS