Please help with new PC spec/build

Hi
Planning to have a go at building a PC but would love someone to help out
with respect to checking I havent missed anything out, and if everything
would be
compatible (maybe i've overlooked something??) and if they think i'd be
better off with a different component/part.
I'm basically building it to play the latest games and to last a good 3
years. Want to also use it for making dvd's and editing movies.
I'm not sure what cables I need and if I need anything else for in the case
like another fan maybe?
Can someone give me some tips for when ive got it all and begin to build,
any pitfalls to look out for etc.
For instance, what will i need to configure? I'm worried i'm going to blow
something up.
Anyway, here it is so far:

MOTHERBOARD -
Asus K8V-SE Deluxe S754 VIA k8t800 ATX Sound Gig lAN Firewire USB 2.0 FSB
800 Retail Box
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1956718955&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=59993
£63.76
£74.92 inc VAT

CPU -
AMD (Newcastle) Athlon 64bit 3200+ 754pin 512 L2cache Retail Boxed
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1956770056&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=62704
£120.84
£141.99 inc VAT

MEMORY - (X2)
Crucial 512 DDR400 PC3200 CL=3 Memory Module
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1956876721&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=46420
£56.24
£66.09 inc VAT EACH
-------------
£132.17 FOR 2 INCL vat

CASE -
I-Cute 0314TL Black Atx Case With Side Window
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1956950979&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=59321
£31.99
£37.59 inc VAT

HARDDRIVE -
Seagate ST3120026A 120GB 7200rpm 8mb Cache Barracuda 7200.7 Plus - OEM
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52159
£46.48
£54.62 inc VAT

GRAPHICS CARD -
Gainward PowerPack! ULTRA/2400 (GOLDEN SAMPLE) GeForce 6800GT 256MB DDR3
256-bit
AGP8X 1xVGA, & 1xDVI / TV-Out - Inc DOOM3
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1957487476&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=66215
£287.95
£338.35 inc VAT

SOUND CARD -
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS 7.1 PCI Soundcard With Dts Support
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1957517814&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52229
£52.54
£61.74 inc VAT

CD RW -
Liteon 52x32x52x16x IDE Drive (COMBO) - Retail Box
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1957555920&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=58630
£24.14
£28.37 inc VAT

DVD -
Liteon Double Layer Dual DVD R/rw - Retail Kit
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1957638278&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=62724
£42.46
£49.90 inc VAT

FLOPPY -
Mitsumi USB External Black Floppy Drive
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=54833
£14.38
£16.90 inc VAT

-----------------------------------
Have i missed anything out that i will need?

Many thanks for any assistance,
Chris
7 answers Last reply
More about please spec build

    gO WITH AN iNTEL MOTHERBOARD AND A PENTIUM 4.
    "James" <james_plows170@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > Liteon 52x32x52x16x IDE Drive (COMBO) - Retail Box
    > http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1957555920&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=58630
    > £24.14
    > £28.37 inc VAT
    >
    > DVD -
    > Liteon Double Layer Dual DVD R/rw - Retail Kit
    > http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1957638278&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=62724
    > £42.46
    > £49.90 inc VAT
    >
    > FLOPPY -
    > Mitsumi USB External Black Floppy Drive
    > http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=54833
    > £14.38
    > £16.90 inc VAT
    >
    > -----------------------------------
    > Have i missed anything out that i will need?

    Congratulations....I still remember building my first pc (about 10 years
    ago). An excellent source of information would be your local library. They
    should have some books that can give you advice. There is one book (can't
    remember it's title offhand, but the librarian can point you to it or
    similar books based upon the description) that offers a thorough guide to
    hardware maintenance as well as guides on building. One mistake I made my
    first time was using too much thermal grease between the cpu and the
    heatsink. Just a little dab is all that is needed. Check out the website
    for Artic Silver. They offer advice in this area. (I believe AMD also
    covers this somewhere on their site.) AMD makes a fine platform around
    which to build a machine. I've used nothing but AMD since that first
    machine (I've built six since that time) and have been happy with every one.
    Craig

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 02:16:23 -0400, "Craig" <caheaton@netzero.net> wrote:

    >One mistake I made my
    >first time was using too much thermal grease between the cpu and the
    >heatsink.

    Newbie! :-)

    My first computer didn't even have a heatsink.

    And the CPU was soldered in!

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net

    The only question I would have would be the memory. Go to the AMD 64 forum
    ( http://forums.amd.com/index.php? ) and note how many posters have memory
    related problems. I would consider upgrading to PC3500 (433MHz) of high
    quality RAM. I build my AMD64 using 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200. I had
    stability issues I couldn't fix with manual timing settings, so I replaced
    it with Mushkin Level 1 PC3500. Problems solved. This was with the NForce 3
    150 chipset, and my understanding is that revisions have addressed memory
    issues, though I don't know how much.

    Additionally, my motherboard (GA- K8NNXP) has a "performance" setting in the
    BIOS which overclocks the systems mildly (416MHz vs 400). Having 433 MHz
    memory accomodates that without stressing it, and it runs stable at By Spd
    settings of 2-3-3-6.

    The AMD64 is demanding of memory, and quality memory is a must.

    Fitz

    Actually, my first computer was the same...no heatsink and soldered on, but
    the thermal grease was for the first computer I built :-).
    My first ever computer was an old TI99/4A (and before that I'd used
    Commodore PET's and IMSAI 8080's at school).
    Those were the days....
    Craig

    "Christopher Pollard" <rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 02:16:23 -0400, "Craig" <caheaton@netzero.net> wrote:
    >
    >>One mistake I made my
    >>first time was using too much thermal grease between the cpu and the
    >>heatsink.
    >
    > Newbie! :-)
    >
    > My first computer didn't even have a heatsink.
    >
    > And the CPU was soldered in!
    >

    > --
    > Chris Pollard
    >

    > CG Internet café, Tagum City, Philippines
    > http://www.cginternet.net

    Thanks for all the info. I'm actually now going to wait for the new
    PCI-Express motherboards to come out before I upgrade, as they seem to be
    due any time now.
    Thanks again

    Chris
> [...]
    > Liteon 52x32x52x16x IDE Drive (COMBO) - Retail Box

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1957555920&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=58630
    > £24.14
    > £28.37 inc VAT
    >
    > DVD -
    > Liteon Double Layer Dual DVD R/rw - Retail Kit

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1957638278&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=62724
    > £42.46
    > £49.90 inc VAT
    >
    > FLOPPY -
    > Mitsumi USB External Black Floppy Drive

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=54833
    > £14.38
    > £16.90 inc VAT
    >
    > -----------------------------------
    > Have i missed anything out that i will need?

    Hi,

    If you intend to play, I agree that a AMD64 3500+ on socket 939 will be
    better with other components.
    Anyway, for games, AMD is better than Intel.

    A few additionnal points (even with future nForce4):
    - do not forget cooling.
    A good fan is necessary on your CPU, for instance zalman 7000B
    Also check fan size on your case: 120mm is recommended (less
    noise than 90mm fans)
    Finally, you might need a fan also for the g-card

    - do not forget power supply (350W should be good, 400W is comfortable)

    - memory: prefer a brand stick (Corsair) than "no-name"

    - HDD: I do not know US prices. In France, 160 Gb or even 200 Gb are a
    better choice (for these sizes, "1 Go is cheaper"). For this kind of
    configuration, you could prefer SATA disk.

    - what about speakers ?

    L'incal

    Site : http://www.mesnews.net

Homebuilt Systems