Please help with new PC spec/build

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 23, 2004 10:15:03 PM

Hi
Planning to have a go at building a PC but would love someone to help out
with respect to checking I havent missed anything out, and if everything
would be
compatible (maybe i've overlooked something??) and if they think i'd be
better off with a different component/part.
I'm basically building it to play the latest games and to last a good 3
years. Want to also use it for making dvd's and editing movies.
I'm not sure what cables I need and if I need anything else for in the case
like another fan maybe?
Can someone give me some tips for when ive got it all and begin to build,
any pitfalls to look out for etc.
For instance, what will i need to configure? I'm worried i'm going to blow
something up.
Anyway, here it is so far:

MOTHERBOARD -
Asus K8V-SE Deluxe S754 VIA k8t800 ATX Sound Gig lAN Firewire USB 2.0 FSB
800 Retail Box
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1...
£63.76
£74.92 inc VAT

CPU -
AMD (Newcastle) Athlon 64bit 3200+ 754pin 512 L2cache Retail Boxed
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1...
£120.84
£141.99 inc VAT

MEMORY - (X2)
Crucial 512 DDR400 PC3200 CL=3 Memory Module
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1...
£56.24
£66.09 inc VAT EACH
-------------
£132.17 FOR 2 INCL vat

CASE -
I-Cute 0314TL Black Atx Case With Side Window
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1...
£31.99
£37.59 inc VAT

HARDDRIVE -
Seagate ST3120026A 120GB 7200rpm 8mb Cache Barracuda 7200.7 Plus - OEM
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...
£46.48
£54.62 inc VAT

GRAPHICS CARD -
Gainward PowerPack! ULTRA/2400 (GOLDEN SAMPLE) GeForce 6800GT 256MB DDR3
256-bit
AGP8X 1xVGA, & 1xDVI / TV-Out - Inc DOOM3
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1...
£287.95
£338.35 inc VAT

SOUND CARD -
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS 7.1 PCI Soundcard With Dts Support
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1...
£52.54
£61.74 inc VAT

CD RW -
Liteon 52x32x52x16x IDE Drive (COMBO) - Retail Box
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1...
£24.14
£28.37 inc VAT

DVD -
Liteon Double Layer Dual DVD R/rw - Retail Kit
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1...
£42.46
£49.90 inc VAT

FLOPPY -
Mitsumi USB External Black Floppy Drive
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...
£14.38
£16.90 inc VAT

-----------------------------------
Have i missed anything out that i will need?

Many thanks for any assistance,
Chris

More about : spec build

September 25, 2004 3:13:23 AM

gO WITH AN iNTEL MOTHERBOARD AND A PENTIUM 4.
"James" <james_plows170@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1...
> £52.54
> £61.74 inc VAT
>
> CD RW -
> Liteon 52x32x52x16x IDE Drive (COMBO) - Retail Box
> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1...
> £24.14
> £28.37 inc VAT
>
> DVD -
> Liteon Double Layer Dual DVD R/rw - Retail Kit
> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1...
> £42.46
> £49.90 inc VAT
>
> FLOPPY -
> Mitsumi USB External Black Floppy Drive
> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...
> £14.38
> £16.90 inc VAT
>
> -----------------------------------
> Have i missed anything out that i will need?

September 25, 2004 6:16:23 AM

Congratulations....I still remember building my first pc (about 10 years
ago). An excellent source of information would be your local library. They
should have some books that can give you advice. There is one book (can't
remember it's title offhand, but the librarian can point you to it or
similar books based upon the description) that offers a thorough guide to
hardware maintenance as well as guides on building. One mistake I made my
first time was using too much thermal grease between the cpu and the
heatsink. Just a little dab is all that is needed. Check out the website
for Artic Silver. They offer advice in this area. (I believe AMD also
covers this somewhere on their site.) AMD makes a fine platform around
which to build a machine. I've used nothing but AMD since that first
machine (I've built six since that time) and have been happy with every one.
Craig
a b B Homebuilt system
September 25, 2004 6:36:39 PM

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 02:16:23 -0400, "Craig" <caheaton@netzero.net> wrote:

>One mistake I made my
>first time was using too much thermal grease between the cpu and the
>heatsink.

Newbie! :-)

My first computer didn't even have a heatsink.

And the CPU was soldered in!

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net
September 26, 2004 2:21:25 AM

The only question I would have would be the memory. Go to the AMD 64 forum
( http://forums.amd.com/index.php? ) and note how many posters have memory
related problems. I would consider upgrading to PC3500 (433MHz) of high
quality RAM. I build my AMD64 using 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200. I had
stability issues I couldn't fix with manual timing settings, so I replaced
it with Mushkin Level 1 PC3500. Problems solved. This was with the NForce 3
150 chipset, and my understanding is that revisions have addressed memory
issues, though I don't know how much.

Additionally, my motherboard (GA- K8NNXP) has a "performance" setting in the
BIOS which overclocks the systems mildly (416MHz vs 400). Having 433 MHz
memory accomodates that without stressing it, and it runs stable at By Spd
settings of 2-3-3-6.

The AMD64 is demanding of memory, and quality memory is a must.

Fitz
September 26, 2004 6:12:58 AM

Actually, my first computer was the same...no heatsink and soldered on, but
the thermal grease was for the first computer I built :-).
My first ever computer was an old TI99/4A (and before that I'd used
Commodore PET's and IMSAI 8080's at school).
Those were the days....
Craig

"Christopher Pollard" <rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 02:16:23 -0400, "Craig" <caheaton@netzero.net> wrote:
>
>>One mistake I made my
>>first time was using too much thermal grease between the cpu and the
>>heatsink.
>
> Newbie! :-)
>
> My first computer didn't even have a heatsink.
>
> And the CPU was soldered in!
>

> --
> Chris Pollard
>

> CG Internet café, Tagum City, Philippines
> http://www.cginternet.net
September 28, 2004 7:25:34 PM

Thanks for all the info. I'm actually now going to wait for the new
PCI-Express motherboards to come out before I upgrade, as they seem to be
due any time now.
Thanks again

Chris
> [...]
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1...
> £52.54
> £61.74 inc VAT
>
> CD RW -
> Liteon 52x32x52x16x IDE Drive (COMBO) - Retail Box

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1...
> £24.14
> £28.37 inc VAT
>
> DVD -
> Liteon Double Layer Dual DVD R/rw - Retail Kit

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1...
> £42.46
> £49.90 inc VAT
>
> FLOPPY -
> Mitsumi USB External Black Floppy Drive

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...
> £14.38
> £16.90 inc VAT
>
> -----------------------------------
> Have i missed anything out that i will need?

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 7, 2004 3:18:01 AM

Hi,

If you intend to play, I agree that a AMD64 3500+ on socket 939 will be
better with other components.
Anyway, for games, AMD is better than Intel.

A few additionnal points (even with future nForce4):
- do not forget cooling.
A good fan is necessary on your CPU, for instance zalman 7000B
Also check fan size on your case: 120mm is recommended (less
noise than 90mm fans)
Finally, you might need a fan also for the g-card

- do not forget power supply (350W should be good, 400W is comfortable)

- memory: prefer a brand stick (Corsair) than "no-name"

- HDD: I do not know US prices. In France, 160 Gb or even 200 Gb are a
better choice (for these sizes, "1 Go is cheaper"). For this kind of
configuration, you could prefer SATA disk.

- what about speakers ?

L'incal

Site : http://www.mesnews.net
!