Where is terminal services client in PPC 2003?

August 5, 2004 4:38:59 AM

here's a really dumb question ;)
I am running PPC 2003 on an iPaq 1950.
where is the terminal services client?
I thought it was built into PPC2003?

I can see a TS client for PPC2002 on the Microsoft site but not for PPC2003?
Am I going mad? Should this be built in and if so how do I find it.

(yes I have looked in 'programs').
Do I need to downloand and add-in from somewhere?
if so, where?

Al Blake, Canberra, Australia
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 8:12:56 AM

Download and use the TS client from the Microsoft site.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Al Blake" <al@blakes.net> wrote in message news:14116a86.0408042338.32290330@posting.google.com...
> here's a really dumb question ;)
> I am running PPC 2003 on an iPaq 1950.
> where is the terminal services client?
> I thought it was built into PPC2003?
>
> I can see a TS client for PPC2002 on the Microsoft site but not for PPC2003?
> Am I going mad? Should this be built in and if so how do I find it.
>
> (yes I have looked in 'programs').
> Do I need to downloand and add-in from somewhere?
> if so, where?
>
> Al Blake, Canberra, Australia
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 2:28:41 AM

Ok,
Downloaded it and it works fine under PPC2003 *except* it seems that it is
only 56-bit.

We have a policy of using High security (128 bit) for TS sessions so I cant
connect to any servers. (I did downgrade the server rdp security for a few
minutes and was able to connect just fine, confirming that this is the
problem).

Is there a 128-bit version anywhere? Every site I know uses high encryption
on TS sessions so a low encryption client is pretty useless ;)

Any ideas anyone?
Al.

> Download and use the TS client from the Microsoft site.
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "Al Blake" <al@blakes.net> wrote in message
> > here's a really dumb question ;)
> > I am running PPC 2003 on an iPaq 1950.
> > where is the terminal services client?
> > I thought it was built into PPC2003?
> >
> > I can see a TS client for PPC2002 on the Microsoft site but not for
PPC2003?
> > Am I going mad? Should this be built in and if so how do I find it.
> >
> > (yes I have looked in 'programs').
> > Do I need to downloand and add-in from somewhere?
> > if so, where?
> >
> > Al Blake, Canberra, Australia
August 6, 2004 2:28:42 AM

Nope. None of the current Terminal Services Clients on PocketPCs are 128-bit...:-(

--

"Al Blake" <al@blakes.net> wrote in message news:o jtaEfueEHA.1100@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Ok,
> Downloaded it and it works fine under PPC2003 *except* it seems that it is
> only 56-bit.
>
> We have a policy of using High security (128 bit) for TS sessions so I cant
> connect to any servers. (I did downgrade the server rdp security for a few
> minutes and was able to connect just fine, confirming that this is the
> problem).
>
> Is there a 128-bit version anywhere? Every site I know uses high encryption
> on TS sessions so a low encryption client is pretty useless ;)
>
> Any ideas anyone?
> Al.
>

> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> Download and use the TS client from the Microsoft site.
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>>
>> "Al Blake" <al@blakes.net> wrote in message
>> > here's a really dumb question ;)
>> > I am running PPC 2003 on an iPaq 1950.
>> > where is the terminal services client?
>> > I thought it was built into PPC2003?
>> >
>> > I can see a TS client for PPC2002 on the Microsoft site but not for
> PPC2003?
>> > Am I going mad? Should this be built in and if so how do I find it.
>> >
>> > (yes I have looked in 'programs').
>> > Do I need to downloand and add-in from somewhere?
>> > if so, where?
>> >
>> > Al Blake, Canberra, Australia

Anonymous
August 6, 2004 11:29:43 AM

Thanks Al (although it isnt what I wanted to hear).
Doesnt this seem like a *big* issue to anyone else?
Sysadmins (geeks) are just the sort of people that are

a) gonna have a paocket device
b) gonna need to connect in remotely

Do we want them to open TS sessions @ 56 bit? Worse we have to make the TS
server accept 56-bit from anyone........arent we going against all that
*security* focus that Microsoft is so keen to push by provigin a tool that
doesnt even support decent security?
I'm not a ppc programmer but how hard can it be to take an existing product,
add no functionality, but push up the encryption level?

Has somone in M$ forgotten about this one in their security push?

Al.

> Nope. None of the current Terminal Services Clients on PocketPCs are
128-bit...:-(

> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Anonymous
August 6, 2004 11:29:44 AM

I think (but don't really know) it is a big issue with others, it is with me, along with the ability
to access alternative ports (versus the default port).

Just my $0.02 worth, which does not mean a whole lot...

I guess you can always tunnel through a VPN if your worried about security over the public
internet...

--

!