wireless network setup wizard error message?

Nik

i'm trying to share files etc with my laptop and desktop. i have a cable
modem with a router from it. my desktop is physically connected to the
router; the laptop via wireless. i have internet on both machines which is
working fine.
my problem is getting the file sharing going. when i run the wireless
network wizard (assuming that that is what i should be doing!) i get to the
stage with the memory stick and the USB... when i put the memory stick into
the desktop, i get the following error message, which i cannot find anywhere
on the internet...
"The wizard cannot create a wireless network, either because a wireless
network adapter is not installed or because software for the wireless adapter
is not installed"
please can someone tell me what this means?!

Mary

To share files you need to use the Networking Wizard, not the wireless
wizard. You also need to share the files on the individual computers by
choosing which folders to share and right clicking on each one and selecting
Sharing and Security. Read the info in Help by searching for 'Networking.'
You must name your home network (MSHOME is the bad default name) and use that
workgroup name on both computers, which must also have individual different
computer names. Then look up security and make sure your wireless network is
secure or your neighbors can tap into it. You don't want to share your
Internet connection or your files with your neighbors.
The wireless wizard will not run on the computer that doesn't have a
wireless connection. That's why you get the error.

"nik" wrote:

> i'm trying to share files etc with my laptop and desktop. i have a cable
> modem with a router from it. my desktop is physically connected to the
> router; the laptop via wireless. i have internet on both machines which is
> working fine.
> my problem is getting the file sharing going. when i run the wireless
> network wizard (assuming that that is what i should be doing!) i get to the
> stage with the memory stick and the USB... when i put the memory stick into
> the desktop, i get the following error message, which i cannot find anywhere
> on the internet...
> "The wizard cannot create a wireless network, either because a wireless
> network adapter is not installed or because software for the wireless adapter
> is not installed"
> please can someone tell me what this means?!

Hi
I would take it in two steps.

1. Make sure that you have a viable Wireless connection.

As an example if you can use the Internet from the Wireless computer you have a viable
Wireless connection.

2. Only if you have viable connection there is a point to set Windows network sharing.

File Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).