Thermatake TR2-M#

Is this CPU fan anything to have for it's relatively cheap (15 - 23?)
price?

I need to cool my CPU down a bit, as it's running @ about 60-63C and mobo @
41-43C

System: Asus A7V133-C , CPU Athlon 1.2GHz , mem 512MB PC133 , no
overclocking even considered

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:44:42 +0300, "Thomas Wendell"
<tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is this CPU fan anything to have for it's relatively cheap (15 - 23?)
> price?
>
> I need to cool my CPU down a bit, as it's running @ about 60-63C
> and mobo @ 41-43C

Your mobo is running hot. 30-35°C is more normal.
The mobo temp should be about 6-8° over room temp.
If the temp in your case is to high, your CPU also get to hot.

Thomas Wendell wrote:

> Is this CPU fan anything to have for it's relatively cheap (15 - 23?)
> price?
>
> I need to cool my CPU down a bit, as it's running @ about 60-63C and mobo @
> 41-43C
>
> System: Asus A7V133-C , CPU Athlon 1.2GHz , mem 512MB PC133 , no
> overclocking even considered

Hi Thomas,

I have exactly the same CPU, and for the longest time, I was running
with an Alpha fan/heatsink (can't remember the model #). Tried a number
of things with adding/changing fans, re-applying thermal paste, etc.,
and never could get the CPU down below like 49-55C. I resisted getting
a new heatsink for this older CPU, but I kept running across favorable
comments and reviews of the TR2-M1 and M2. I also saw comments about
the copper block screwed to the bottom, so I was doubtful.

Anyway, about a month ago, I was re-doing this system with some new
drives, etc., and while I was at a local Microcenter, I decided to
pickup a TR2-M2 (with the colored LEDs). I installed it, and I was
really amazed. CPU temps were now running at about 35-38C!!

It is a cheap looking fan/heatsink, but boy does it work!!

Re. the M1 vs. the M2, for awhile, I thought that I should've gotten the
M1 (no LEDs), as I'm not into cold cathode tubes, etc., but one day,
after mucking around with the system, it shutdown by itself. I couldn't
figure out what had happened, but finally I noticed the LEDs weren't lit
(I'm somewhat unconscious sometimes :)), which led me to check that the
fan was plugged in!

Give it a try. You can't beat it for the price, especially with this
CPU.

Jim

P.S. When I installed the M2, I got lazy, and just used the pasted
patch that was pre-installed on the bottom. Even with that, I got great
results.

Put a Zalman 7000a cu or similar on it, if it will fit, should run the
CPU somthing like 20c :) and thats at load.

My Mobile 2500 overcloked to 2.5ghz runs at 38c at the momment 45 at
load, summer is coming up so i will see how well it realy works.

Bye.

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:31:20 -0400, ohaya <ohaya@cox.net> wrote:

>Thomas Wendell wrote:
>>
>> Is this CPU fan anything to have for it's relatively cheap (15 - 23?)
>> price?
>>
>> I need to cool my CPU down a bit, as it's running @ about 60-63C and mobo @
>> 41-43C
>>
>> System: Asus A7V133-C , CPU Athlon 1.2GHz , mem 512MB PC133 , no
>> overclocking even considered
>>

>Hi Thomas,
>
>I have exactly the same CPU, and for the longest time, I was running
>with an Alpha fan/heatsink (can't remember the model #). Tried a number
>of things with adding/changing fans, re-applying thermal paste, etc.,
>and never could get the CPU down below like 49-55C. I resisted getting
>a new heatsink for this older CPU, but I kept running across favorable
>comments and reviews of the TR2-M1 and M2. I also saw comments about
>the copper block screwed to the bottom, so I was doubtful.
>
>Anyway, about a month ago, I was re-doing this system with some new
>drives, etc., and while I was at a local Microcenter, I decided to
>pickup a TR2-M2 (with the colored LEDs). I installed it, and I was
>really amazed. CPU temps were now running at about 35-38C!!
>
>It is a cheap looking fan/heatsink, but boy does it work!!
>
>Re. the M1 vs. the M2, for awhile, I thought that I should've gotten the
>M1 (no LEDs), as I'm not into cold cathode tubes, etc., but one day,
>after mucking around with the system, it shutdown by itself. I couldn't
>figure out what had happened, but finally I noticed the LEDs weren't lit
>(I'm somewhat unconscious sometimes :)), which led me to check that the
>fan was plugged in!
>
>Give it a try. You can't beat it for the price, especially with this
>CPU.
>
>Jim
>
>P.S. When I installed the M2, I got lazy, and just used the pasted
>patch that was pre-installed on the bottom. Even with that, I got great
>results.

Got it installed, and temp dropped to ~55C CPU, mobo is at 48C .
It wouldn't boot unless I disable CPU fan checkunh in BIOS, and it would
soundlike an emergency vehicle if CPU fan speed monitoring is enabled.
Otherwise it's nice (and quieter than the old setup with 60mm Spire fan)

--

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> Is this CPU fan anything to have for it's relatively cheap (15 - 23?)
> price?
>
> I need to cool my CPU down a bit, as it's running @ about 60-63C and mobo
@
> 41-43C
>
> System: Asus A7V133-C , CPU Athlon 1.2GHz , mem 512MB PC133 , no
> overclocking even considered
>

> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)

Tumppi,

Your motherboard temperature seems kind of high (to me). What kind of
case cooling do you have on your system?

Jim

Thomas Wendell wrote:

> Got it installed, and temp dropped to ~55C CPU, mobo is at 48C .
> It wouldn't boot unless I disable CPU fan checkunh in BIOS, and it would
> soundlike an emergency vehicle if CPU fan speed monitoring is enabled.
> Otherwise it's nice (and quieter than the old setup with 60mm Spire fan)
>
> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>
> "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> > Is this CPU fan anything to have for it's relatively cheap (15 - 23?)
> > price?
> >
> > I need to cool my CPU down a bit, as it's running @ about 60-63C and mobo
> @
> > 41-43C
> >
> > System: Asus A7V133-C , CPU Athlon 1.2GHz , mem 512MB PC133 , no
> > overclocking even considered
> >

> > --
> > Tumppi
> > Reply to group
> > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)

Case is a Codegen Noble ATX8012 with it's 350W PSU and a "ceiling"-mounted
80mm fan. That's all
Room temp is ~22C
System in total is
ASUS A7V133-C m/b (BIOS 1009), Athlon (T-bird) 1.2 GHz(FSB 100MHz), 512MB
(SDRAM @133MHz, 256+2*128)), 120+80GB HDs(primary IDE), DVD and CD-RW(sec.
IDE), GF2MX (32MB), Creative SB Live!Value, Hercules SmartTV, D-Link
NetNic(DRN-32TX),Godegen Noble ATX8012 case with 350 power supply and 80mm
celing-mounted exhaust fan, external Zyxel Prestige645 ADSL modem.

OS: Windows XP (SP1 and all fixes, not SP2)

--

Thomas Wendell wrote:

> Case is a Codegen Noble ATX8012 with it's 350W PSU and a "ceiling"-mounted
> 80mm fan. That's all
> Room temp is ~22C
> System in total is
> ASUS A7V133-C m/b (BIOS 1009), Athlon (T-bird) 1.2 GHz(FSB 100MHz), 512MB
> (SDRAM @133MHz, 256+2*128)), 120+80GB HDs(primary IDE), DVD and CD-RW(sec.
> IDE), GF2MX (32MB), Creative SB Live!Value, Hercules SmartTV, D-Link
> NetNic(DRN-32TX),Godegen Noble ATX8012 case with 350 power supply and 80mm
> celing-mounted exhaust fan, external Zyxel Prestige645 ADSL modem.
>
> OS: Windows XP (SP1 and all fixes, not SP2)

Cute case.

For the least noise I'd put the fan on the rear panel, so it pulls air
straight out from the CPU area, and plug the top fan mount so intake air
comes from the front panel.

If you don't care about noise then put a fan in both places but the rear
fan mount is the most important one.

I did as you recommended. Now CPU temp is 50C idle, mobo 43C idle (haven't
tried anything stressfull yet)
Will try with prime95 at torture setting and see what happens..

--

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> kirjoitti viestissä
> Thomas Wendell wrote:
>
> > Case is a Codegen Noble ATX8012 with it's 350W PSU and a
"ceiling"-mounted
> > 80mm fan. That's all
> > Room temp is ~22C
> > System in total is
> > ASUS A7V133-C m/b (BIOS 1009), Athlon (T-bird) 1.2 GHz(FSB 100MHz),
512MB
> > (SDRAM @133MHz, 256+2*128)), 120+80GB HDs(primary IDE), DVD and
CD-RW(sec.
> > IDE), GF2MX (32MB), Creative SB Live!Value, Hercules SmartTV, D-Link
> > NetNic(DRN-32TX),Godegen Noble ATX8012 case with 350 power supply and
80mm
> > celing-mounted exhaust fan, external Zyxel Prestige645 ADSL modem.
> >
> > OS: Windows XP (SP1 and all fixes, not SP2)
> >

> Cute case.
>
> For the least noise I'd put the fan on the rear panel, so it pulls air
> straight out from the CPU area, and plug the top fan mount so intake air
> comes from the front panel.
>
> If you don't care about noise then put a fan in both places but the rear
> fan mount is the most important one.

Did the Prime95 torture test (for an hour and a half)
CPU temp never rose ~to 53C after ~half an hour, then sunk to 21C
Mobo was 43-44C all the time..
Prime95 setting was on the middle, with max temp generation(?)

--

> I did as you recommended. Now CPU temp is 50C idle, mobo 43C idle (haven't
> tried anything stressfull yet)
> Will try with prime95 at torture setting and see what happens..
>

> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> kirjoitti viestissä
> > Thomas Wendell wrote:
> >
> > > Case is a Codegen Noble ATX8012 with it's 350W PSU and a
> "ceiling"-mounted
> > > 80mm fan. That's all
> > > Room temp is ~22C
> > > System in total is
> > > ASUS A7V133-C m/b (BIOS 1009), Athlon (T-bird) 1.2 GHz(FSB 100MHz),
> 512MB
> > > (SDRAM @133MHz, 256+2*128)), 120+80GB HDs(primary IDE), DVD and
> CD-RW(sec.
> > > IDE), GF2MX (32MB), Creative SB Live!Value, Hercules SmartTV, D-Link
> > > NetNic(DRN-32TX),Godegen Noble ATX8012 case with 350 power supply and
> 80mm
> > > celing-mounted exhaust fan, external Zyxel Prestige645 ADSL modem.
> > >
> > > OS: Windows XP (SP1 and all fixes, not SP2)
> > >

> > Cute case.
> >
> > For the least noise I'd put the fan on the rear panel, so it pulls air
> > straight out from the CPU area, and plug the top fan mount so intake air
> > comes from the front panel.
> >
> > If you don't care about noise then put a fan in both places but the rear
> > fan mount is the most important one.

A few typos..... :)

Did the Prime95 torture test (for an hour and a half)
CPU temp rose ~to 53C after ~half an hour, then sunk to 51C

> Did the Prime95 torture test (for an hour and a half)
> CPU temp never rose ~to 53C after ~half an hour, then sunk to 21C
> Mobo was 43-44C all the time..
> Prime95 setting was on the middle, with max temp generation(?)
>

> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>

> "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> > I did as you recommended. Now CPU temp is 50C idle, mobo 43C idle
(haven't
> > tried anything stressfull yet)
> > Will try with prime95 at torture setting and see what happens..
> >

> > --
> > Tumppi
> > Reply to group
> > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
> >

> > "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> kirjoitti viestissä

> > "ceiling"-mounted
> > 512MB
> > CD-RW(sec.
> > 80mm

> > > Cute case.
> > >
> > > For the least noise I'd put the fan on the rear panel, so it pulls air
> > > straight out from the CPU area, and plug the top fan mount so intake
air
> > > comes from the front panel.
> > >
> > > If you don't care about noise then put a fan in both places but the
rear
> > > fan mount is the most important one.

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 00:35:11 +0300, "Thomas Wendell"
<tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>A few typos..... :)
>
> Did the Prime95 torture test (for an hour and a half)
> CPU temp rose ~to 53C after ~half an hour, then sunk to 51C
> Mobo was 43-44C all the time..
> Prime95 setting was on the middle, with max temp generation(?)

Yes, the "In-place large FFTs"
The temp looks fine.