use a powersupply without a motherboard...

Hi ppl !

I was just wandering... I know its possible to use the power of a
power supply without a motherboard (to power fans/LED's/cathode
etc...). The only thing, i just have no idea how to make it work. I
asked a few ppl here, but no one seems to know... is there anyone
here that can help me out with that ?

thanks :)

DjDx wrote:

> I was just wandering... I know its possible to use the power of a
> power supply without a motherboard (to power fans/LED's/cathode
> etc...). The only thing, i just have no idea how to make it work. I
> asked a few ppl here, but no one seems to know... is there anyone
> here that can help me out with that ?

Assuming ATX, just connect pin 14 (green wire) of PSU/MB connector to
any black wire in the connector. It may need a HD or something as a
load. Depends on the amount of stuff (above) that you have hooked up.

Assuming you are talking about an ATX power supply just short the green wire
to a black wire and it will start up.

"DjDx" <desjardinsdany@yahoo-dot-ca.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi ppl !
>
> I was just wandering... I know its possible to use the power of a
> power supply without a motherboard (to power fans/LED's/cathode
> etc...). The only thing, i just have no idea how to make it work. I
> asked a few ppl here, but no one seems to know... is there anyone
> here that can help me out with that ?
>
> thanks :)

JS

desjardinsdany@yahoo-dot-ca.no-spam.invalid (DjDx) wrote in

> Hi ppl !
>
> I was just wandering... I know its possible to use the power of a
> power supply without a motherboard (to power fans/LED's/cathode
> etc...). The only thing, i just have no idea how to make it work. I
> asked a few ppl here, but no one seems to know... is there anyone
> here that can help me out with that ?
>
> thanks :)

What you wanna do is power a 5v or a 12v relay from the PSU installed in
your PC. Use the relay to connect pin14 of the mobo connector on the second
PSU to ground as the others have said. This way the second PSU will startup
automatically when the installed PSU turns on. Yoshi from 'The
Screensavers' did this and wrote an article for the TechTV (now G4TechTV)
website. If you can't find the article try asking at:

http://www.yoshi.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

This is Yoshi's modder forum.