Monitor Problem (LG Flatron 795FT Plus)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

I have a Flatron 795FT Plus (it's a 17" flat screen (screen not panel) with
a 4 port USB hub on the back of it.)

Ok the problem: A while back it started turning off and then coming back on
again. Thereis no pattern that I can discern from when it happens. I
finally got annoyed enough that I stuck an old monitor on this computer
instead and I have been using it (It's horrible, color is bad, hurts my
eyes, etc). So I'd like to get my old monitor working again since it's a
wonderful display.

Recently I upgraded 85% of the hardware in this computer (fuzzy logic
insert: at what point does the computer stop being the same computer it was
before and become a new computer). That upgrade included a new power
supply, so I decided to give the monitor a shot. Since getting behind this
computer is a pain I hooked it up to one of my other computers first, and
ran it for 4 hours continously. It ran fine, didn't so much as flicker.

Well, as you've probably guessed where this is going, I plugged it into this
computer and.. nothing. It has power because it would give me the amber on
the power button (the "I have no signal, but I do have power"). About 45
seconds later it gave a picture, if only for 20 seconds or so.

Anyone have any ideas?

The other computer I had it working on is a significantly less powerful
machine (p3 550 vs. amd xp 3200), power supply on the working one was most
likely a 250 - 300. This one is a 450. Graphics card on the working one is
a GeForce2, this one is a radeon 9700pro.

I'm trying to use another cable to connect them (it's one of those monitors
that has the removable video cables), to see if maybe there is a problem
with the cable), but I don't think that is it.

Both computers are running same OS (winxp pro), both using default plug and
play driver's for the monitor.

Would video drivers cause an issue? Monitor drivers and video drivers are
different, but do they sometimes conflict?

At this point I believe it to be a hardware problem with the monitor, and I
would love any suggestions agreeing or disagreeing with that.

Thanks for reading the whole thing, I know it was long.

~Chris
5 answers Last reply
More about monitor problem flatron 795ft plus
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:59:31 -0400, "Chris Martin"
    <christopher.martin@REMOVEadelphia.net> wrote:

    <snip>

    >At this point I believe it to be a hardware problem with the monitor, and I
    >would love any suggestions agreeing or disagreeing with that.

    Yes, seems to be monitor hardware problem.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Hi,

    From your post I am not sure how technical you are. If you have access
    to an o'scope try looking at the signals in:
    a) the moniter plug (Check syncs at right timing + Check levels and
    sharpness.
    b) where the moniter lead connects to the pcb. (If there is a dodgy
    lead you will get an obviously degraded signal. Before I have trouble
    with the H-Sync losing connection.
    c) depending on how modern the moniter is any other obvious places.

    If you come back to this newsgroup with the results of this it should
    be quite easy to provide you with more precise tests to try.

    -- Chris

    "Chris Ballance" <chrisb@rosery.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > From your post I am not sure how technical you are. If you have access
    > to an o'scope try looking at the signals in:
    > a) the moniter plug (Check syncs at right timing + Check levels and
    > sharpness.
    > b) where the moniter lead connects to the pcb. (If there is a dodgy
    > lead you will get an obviously degraded signal. Before I have trouble
    > with the H-Sync losing connection.
    > c) depending on how modern the moniter is any other obvious places.
    >
    > If you come back to this newsgroup with the results of this it should
    > be quite easy to provide you with more precise tests to try.
    >
    > -- Chris

    Hmm.. sure, why not, I'll play. Let me see if my father has an ocilloscope
    I could steal from him for a bit and I'll see if I can figure out how to use
    it. Can you suggest any web pages that have good beginners directions,
    etc., for using one? I'm always interested in learning how to use a new
    tool. I did a google search and found a web page or two which seems to be
    interesting and possibly helpful.

    Thanks, will look into this method,
    ~Chris

    In message <2eidnV6y3qrJdcvcRVn-ug@adelphia.com>
    "Chris Martin" <christopher.martin@REMOVEadelphia.net> wrote:
    > "Chris Ballance" <chrisb@rosery.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > From your post I am not sure how technical you are. If you have access
    > > to an o'scope try looking at the signals in:
    > > a) the moniter plug (Check syncs at right timing + Check levels and
    > > sharpness.
    > > b) where the moniter lead connects to the pcb. (If there is a dodgy
    > > lead you will get an obviously degraded signal. Before I have trouble
    > > with the H-Sync losing connection.
    > > c) depending on how modern the moniter is any other obvious places.
    > >
    > > If you come back to this newsgroup with the results of this it should
    > > be quite easy to provide you with more precise tests to try.
    > >
    > > -- Chris
    >
    > Hmm.. sure, why not, I'll play. Let me see if my father has an ocilloscope
    > I could steal from him for a bit and I'll see if I can figure out how to use
    > it. Can you suggest any web pages that have good beginners directions,
    > etc., for using one? I'm always interested in learning how to use a new
    > tool. I did a google search and found a web page or two which seems to be
    > interesting and possibly helpful.

    Ok, Here are a few I have found:
    http://www.cs.tcd.ie/courses/baict/bac/jf/labs/scope/
    http://www.doctronics.co.uk/scope.htm
    http://www.williamson-labs.com/scope1.htm

    Just to clarify:
    What you need to look for is a properly formed signal on the
    graphics card and then find where the signal degenerates in its path to
    the moniter.

    Your problem sounds like a sync failure. Pins 13 & 14 are the H-sync and
    V-sync and pin 10 is ground. The V-sync should be pulsing at your
    selected frame rate. The H-sync should pulsing slightly more than the
    frame rate multiplyed by the line rate. For example if you were running
    at 1024 X 768 @ 82 Hz the V-sync should be pulsing at 82 Hz and the
    H-sync should be pulsing at 768 * 82 = ~63 kHz.

    > In message <2eidnV6y3qrJdcvcRVn-ug@adelphia.com>
    > "Chris Martin" <christopher.martin@REMOVEadelphia.net> wrote:
    > > "Chris Ballance" <chrisb@rosery.net> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > From your post I am not sure how technical you are. If you have access
    > > > to an o'scope try looking at the signals in:
    > > > a) the moniter plug (Check syncs at right timing + Check levels and
    > > > sharpness.
    > > > b) where the moniter lead connects to the pcb. (If there is a dodgy
    > > > lead you will get an obviously degraded signal. Before I have trouble
    > > > with the H-Sync losing connection.
    > > > c) depending on how modern the moniter is any other obvious places.
    > > >
    > > > If you come back to this newsgroup with the results of this it should
    > > > be quite easy to provide you with more precise tests to try.
    > > >
    > > > -- Chris
    > >
    > > Hmm.. sure, why not, I'll play. Let me see if my father has an
    ocilloscope
    > > I could steal from him for a bit and I'll see if I can figure out how to
    use
    > > it. Can you suggest any web pages that have good beginners directions,
    > > etc., for using one? I'm always interested in learning how to use a new
    > > tool. I did a google search and found a web page or two which seems to
    be
    > > interesting and possibly helpful.
    >
    > Ok, Here are a few I have found:
    > http://www.cs.tcd.ie/courses/baict/bac/jf/labs/scope/
    > http://www.doctronics.co.uk/scope.htm
    > http://www.williamson-labs.com/scope1.htm
    >
    > Just to clarify:
    > What you need to look for is a properly formed signal on the
    > graphics card and then find where the signal degenerates in its path to
    > the moniter.
    >
    > Your problem sounds like a sync failure. Pins 13 & 14 are the H-sync and
    > V-sync and pin 10 is ground. The V-sync should be pulsing at your
    > selected frame rate. The H-sync should pulsing slightly more than the
    > frame rate multiplyed by the line rate. For example if you were running
    > at 1024 X 768 @ 82 Hz the V-sync should be pulsing at 82 Hz and the
    > H-sync should be pulsing at 768 * 82 = ~63 kHz.
    >
    > -- Chris

    Ok, great! Printing this out for reference, and I'll check out those web
    pages. Thanks for taking the time to look for those and get back to me.

    ~Chris (also).

Homebuilt Hardware Monitors Systems