Opinions on this Belkin WPS with HP LaserJet 2300

asdf

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Need to setup laserjet and connect to an existing wireless network.
I want to connect the WPS to the printer by USB cable and then share it out
from
one of the desktops that will be always on. How does that sound?

My only two concerns are :
1. On the WPS description it says that: 'Compatible with most USB,
network-ready printers'
but on printer description it says that it is not 'network ready'. I take it
to mean that it will be network ready when i connect it to WPS by USB?

Wireless Print Server
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3977102

HP LaserJet 2300--Not Network Ready
http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=505312&bcFlag=True&bcSCatId=3&bcSCatName=Technology&bcCatId=44&bcCatName=Printers+%26+All%2Din%2DOne+Machines&bcDeptId=1606&bcDeptName=Laser+Printers&bcClassId=142045&bcClassName=Black+%26+White+Laser&bcSSetId=1001167&bcSSetName=Hewlett%2DPackard+LaserJet+2300+%5BD%2C+N%2C+DN%2C+DTN%5D+Series+Laser+Printers

asdf wrote:

> Need to setup laserjet and connect to an existing wireless network.
> I want to connect the WPS to the printer by USB cable and then share it out
> from
> one of the desktops that will be always on. How does that sound?
>
> My only two concerns are :
> 1. On the WPS description it says that: 'Compatible with most USB,
> network-ready printers'
> but on printer description it says that it is not 'network ready'. I take it
> to mean that it will be network ready when i connect it to WPS by USB?
>
> Wireless Print Server
> http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3977102
>
> HP LaserJet 2300--Not Network Ready
> http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=505312&bcFlag=True&bcSCatId=3&bcSCatName=Technology&bcCatId=44&bcCatName=Printers+%26+All%2Din%2DOne+Machines&bcDeptId=1606&bcDeptName=Laser+Printers&bcClassId=142045&bcClassName=Black+%26+White+Laser&bcSSetId=1001167&bcSSetName=Hewlett%2DPackard+LaserJet+2300+%5BD%2C+N%2C+DN%2C+DTN%5D+Series+Laser+Printers

Hi,

Actually, at the link for the WPS, it also says:

"Works with the most laser, inkjet, Bubble Jet, and Color printers"

I'm not really sure what they mean when they say:

"Compatible with most USB, network-ready printers,..."

I think that when you hook the WPS to the printer, that printer would
then become a "network printer", i.e., a printer that you access via
your wired or wireless network.

You won't have to have a computer always on, nor would a computer be
directly hooked to the WPS or the printer. The only thing that will
plug into the printer will be a USB cable between the WPS and the USB
port of the printer:

| <-- This is your network
|

| Wireless
| Link USB cable
|<============> WPS <===========> Printer

That's the purpose of the WPS... it takes the place of having the
printer hooked to a computer where that computer has the printer shared,
and makes that printer available to all computers on your network that
have the appropriate software installed.

I have a similar setup here, but I have a Parallel Hawking Print Server,
and I have an old HPLJIIP printer connected to the Hawking, then I have
a CAT5 cable going from the Hawking to my network switch. All the
computers in my house can print to this HPLJIIP printer, once they have
the Hawking print client software installed, and I don't have to
dedicate any computer to make the printer available on the network.

Jim

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 02:43:55 GMT, "asdf" <asdf@adfs.com>
wrote:

>Need to setup laserjet and connect to an existing wireless network.
>I want to connect the WPS to the printer by USB cable and then share it out
>from
>one of the desktops that will be always on. How does that sound?
>
>My only two concerns are :
>1. On the WPS description it says that: 'Compatible with most USB,
>network-ready printers'
>but on printer description it says that it is not 'network ready'. I take it
>to mean that it will be network ready when i connect it to WPS by USB?
>
>Wireless Print Server
>http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3977102
>
>HP LaserJet 2300--Not Network Ready
>http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=505312&bcFlag=True&bcSCatId=3&bcSCatName=Technology&bcCatId=44&bcCatName=Printers+%26+All%2Din%2DOne+Machines&bcDeptId=1606&bcDeptName=Laser+Printers&bcClassId=142045&bcClassName=Black+%26+White+Laser&bcSSetId=1001167&bcSSetName=Hewlett%2DPackard+LaserJet+2300+%5BD%2C+N%2C+DN%2C+DTN%5D+Series+Laser+Printers

A printer not being "network ready" simply means it has
(either) the network adapter missing or non-supported. It
doesn't mean it can't be used on a network at all, with a
host device (like the WPS).

Certainly it does NOT mean it can't be used on a network,
the WPS provides same function the printer would have
attached to any other PC serving as the print server. The
only issue then is if the WPS gets along with that
particular printer, which it probably will... but you'll
have to try it and see if nobody has used that particular
combination and told about it.

asdf

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

http://web.belkin.com/support/printserver/list.asp
has a list of printers that work with the device.
2200 model is listed as supported.
2300 is not listed as being either supported or not, which means it isn't
tested yet by belkin.
I assume it's a good bet that it is since it is a similar model.