Windows XP Weirdness With USB, SATA

I have one of those internal "10-in-1" USB memory card readers.

When I try to install XP, I can't even get to the first screen. It goes
straight to a black screen and hangs. (I can re-install OK from within XP)

The only way I can get XP to install is to physically disconnect the
internal USB cable that feeds the card reader. Isn't that pretty weird?

Here's my system. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this happens? Could
it have to do with my SATA HDD's?

Asus P4C800-E-Dlx latest BIOS
P4 3.0c
Dual 256 Samsung PC2700
1 WD 37gb Raptor, running in SATA
1 WD 120gb JD, running in SATA
1 LiteOn SOHW 812S DVD-R-CDR-W Combo drive (tried a plain CDRW drive too)

Thanks,,,

-- Bob

"Bob Adkins" <bobad@charter.net> wrote in message

> I have one of those internal "10-in-1" USB memory card readers.
>
> When I try to install XP, I can't even get to the first screen. It goes
> straight to a black screen and hangs. (I can re-install OK from within XP)
>
> The only way I can get XP to install is to physically disconnect the
> internal USB cable that feeds the card reader. Isn't that pretty weird?
>
> Here's my system. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this happens? Could
> it have to do with my SATA HDD's?
>
> Asus P4C800-E-Dlx latest BIOS
> P4 3.0c
> Dual 256 Samsung PC2700
> 1 WD 37gb Raptor, running in SATA
> 1 WD 120gb JD, running in SATA
> 1 LiteOn SOHW 812S DVD-R-CDR-W Combo drive (tried a plain CDRW drive too)
>
> Thanks,,,
>

> -- Bob

What is your boot sequence set to? It seems unlikely but if you have a BIOS
that can boot from a USB device it might be getting confused by the reader.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:00:52 -0400, "John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all> wrote:

>What is your boot sequence set to? It seems unlikely but if you have a BIOS
>that can boot from a USB device it might be getting confused by the reader.

I know I don't have it set to boot from a USB device, but I don't know it
it's capable or not. I'll check into out.

Thanks,,,,

-- Bob