Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hard drive failed on boot

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2004 3:13:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I was given an Asus P5A v1.06 motherboard with Award BIOS v 1007.A an
AMD K6-2/500AFX CPU; and I am trying to built a PC on it. I bought an
Antec ATX case with a 300W PSU. I put in 384MB PC133 RAM (256+128); a
STB video card, a Maxtor 40 GB HD (model 34098H4) and a Buslink CD-RW.

The HD is a *working* bootable HD from another computer.

In bootup, it hanged at "Detecting HDD Primary Master ... [Press F4
to skip]". It never proceed further. Pressing F4 does nothing.
[Pressing "Del" gets me into Setup.]

Prior to this, I put in a non-bootable HD (1 GB) by mistake, and the
detection would eventually show "none" for the slave drive and move
on. After I found out my mistake, I put in the correct bootable
Maxtor HD (40GB) and set the slave drive to "none" in the BIOS. This
bootable HD boots up another computer just before I put into this
"new" homebuilt PC; so I know that HD is working.

In the BIOS, the Primary HD is set to Auto configure. The red stripe
on the cable is lined up with pin 1 on both ends. What could be the
problem for the HD during boot?

Separately, in the manual, the Jumper settings for the CPU (pg. 17)
for AMD stops at K6-2/475. It says look for the updated processor
settings on your web site; but I can't find it. Would appreciate if
would advise the proper jumper settings for AMD K6-2/500AFX -- for
Bus Frequency and Frequency Multipler etc.

TIA

More about : hard drive failed boot

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2004 10:12:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

0b3hks001@sneakemail.com wrote:
> I was given an Asus P5A v1.06 motherboard with Award BIOS v 1007.A an
> AMD K6-2/500AFX CPU; and I am trying to built a PC on it. I bought an
> Antec ATX case with a 300W PSU. I put in 384MB PC133 RAM (256+128); a
> STB video card, a Maxtor 40 GB HD (model 34098H4) and a Buslink CD-RW.
>
> The HD is a *working* bootable HD from another computer.
>
> In bootup, it hanged at "Detecting HDD Primary Master ... [Press F4
> to skip]". It never proceed further. Pressing F4 does nothing.
> [Pressing "Del" gets me into Setup.]

You have either the hard drive, CD Drive, or both, jumpered incorrectly.

Make them both master with no slave (single drive) with the hard drive on
the first IDE channel and the CD drive on the second.

>
> Prior to this, I put in a non-bootable HD (1 GB) by mistake, and the
> detection would eventually show "none" for the slave drive and move
> on. After I found out my mistake, I put in the correct bootable
> Maxtor HD (40GB) and set the slave drive to "none" in the BIOS. This
> bootable HD boots up another computer just before I put into this
> "new" homebuilt PC; so I know that HD is working.
>
> In the BIOS, the Primary HD is set to Auto configure. The red stripe
> on the cable is lined up with pin 1 on both ends. What could be the
> problem for the HD during boot?
>
> Separately, in the manual, the Jumper settings for the CPU (pg. 17)
> for AMD stops at K6-2/475. It says look for the updated processor
> settings on your web site; but I can't find it. Would appreciate if
> would advise the proper jumper settings for AMD K6-2/500AFX -- for
> Bus Frequency and Frequency Multipler etc.

100 Mhz FSB, multiplier 5.


>
> TIA
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2004 10:44:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On 27 Sep 2004 11:13:02 -0700, 0b3hks001@sneakemail.com wrote:

>I was given an Asus P5A v1.06 motherboard with Award BIOS v 1007.A an
>AMD K6-2/500AFX CPU; and I am trying to built a PC on it. I bought an
>Antec ATX case with a 300W PSU. I put in 384MB PC133 RAM (256+128); a
>STB video card, a Maxtor 40 GB HD (model 34098H4) and a Buslink CD-RW.
>
>The HD is a *working* bootable HD from another computer.
>
>In bootup, it hanged at "Detecting HDD Primary Master ... [Press F4
>to skip]". It never proceed further. Pressing F4 does nothing.
>[Pressing "Del" gets me into Setup.]
>
>Prior to this, I put in a non-bootable HD (1 GB) by mistake, and the
>detection would eventually show "none" for the slave drive and move
>on. After I found out my mistake, I put in the correct bootable
>Maxtor HD (40GB) and set the slave drive to "none" in the BIOS. This
>bootable HD boots up another computer just before I put into this
>"new" homebuilt PC; so I know that HD is working.
>
>In the BIOS, the Primary HD is set to Auto configure. The red stripe
>on the cable is lined up with pin 1 on both ends. What could be the
>problem for the HD during boot?
>
>Separately, in the manual, the Jumper settings for the CPU (pg. 17)
>for AMD stops at K6-2/475. It says look for the updated processor
>settings on your web site; but I can't find it. Would appreciate if
>would advise the proper jumper settings for AMD K6-2/500AFX -- for
>Bus Frequency and Frequency Multipler etc.
>
>TIA

How is the Maxtor jumpered? Master or Cable Select?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2004 3:13:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

If you change the motherboard that a harddrive with the OS on it is using
without reformatting and reinstalling the OS, then you can look forward to
ongoing nasty
Registry errors.

--
DaveW



<0b3hks001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
news:64e817b9.0409271013.35c9b45b@posting.google.com...
>I was given an Asus P5A v1.06 motherboard with Award BIOS v 1007.A an
> AMD K6-2/500AFX CPU; and I am trying to built a PC on it. I bought an
> Antec ATX case with a 300W PSU. I put in 384MB PC133 RAM (256+128); a
> STB video card, a Maxtor 40 GB HD (model 34098H4) and a Buslink CD-RW.
>
> The HD is a *working* bootable HD from another computer.
>
> In bootup, it hanged at "Detecting HDD Primary Master ... [Press F4
> to skip]". It never proceed further. Pressing F4 does nothing.
> [Pressing "Del" gets me into Setup.]
>
> Prior to this, I put in a non-bootable HD (1 GB) by mistake, and the
> detection would eventually show "none" for the slave drive and move
> on. After I found out my mistake, I put in the correct bootable
> Maxtor HD (40GB) and set the slave drive to "none" in the BIOS. This
> bootable HD boots up another computer just before I put into this
> "new" homebuilt PC; so I know that HD is working.
>
> In the BIOS, the Primary HD is set to Auto configure. The red stripe
> on the cable is lined up with pin 1 on both ends. What could be the
> problem for the HD during boot?
>
> Separately, in the manual, the Jumper settings for the CPU (pg. 17)
> for AMD stops at K6-2/475. It says look for the updated processor
> settings on your web site; but I can't find it. Would appreciate if
> would advise the proper jumper settings for AMD K6-2/500AFX -- for
> Bus Frequency and Frequency Multipler etc.
>
> TIA
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2004 3:13:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

DaveW wrote:

> If you change the motherboard that a harddrive with the OS on it is using
> without reformatting and reinstalling the OS, then you can look forward to
> ongoing nasty
> Registry errors.
>

This is still just as wrong as it was the first 1,000 times you posted it
and were told it's wrong.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2004 3:37:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"ASI Industries" <ASIIndustries@usa.net> wrote in message news:<01c4a4f8$5bd13b20$0200a8c0@asi-02>...
> Hi your problem is already answered here!
>
> http://www.asus.com.tw/support/search.aspx?SearchStr=P5...
>
> It appears you need a bios update.

Thanks, I can boot up now.
!