how durable are cheap Samsung lasers?

I've got a Lexmark E210, which is a rebranded version of the Samsung 1210.
I'm probably midway into my first full toner cart (the first was the
half-cart thatat comes with the printer) and have had no problems.

Considering the cost, I'm debting whether to stock up a replacement cart
or look for a Samsung 1710, which goes on sale for $100 once in a while.

It all depends on how durable a Samsung printer is, and whether its made
(esp. the fuser) to last through several toner carts before dying.

I don't want to spend more than $100 at this time.

Brendan

"Brendan R. Wehrung" <ck183@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

> I've got a Lexmark E210, which is a rebranded version of the Samsung 1210.
> I'm probably midway into my first full toner cart (the first was the
> half-cart thatat comes with the printer) and have had no problems.
>
> Considering the cost, I'm debting whether to stock up a replacement cart
> or look for a Samsung 1710, which goes on sale for $100 once in a while.
>
> It all depends on how durable a Samsung printer is, and whether its made
> (esp. the fuser) to last through several toner carts before dying.
>
> I don't want to spend more than $100 at this time.
>
> Brendan
>

> --

I had a Samsung ML-1210 for approximately 3 years. In the past few months I
began to experience problems with the paper feeding properly. I wrote to
Samsung and they told me that type of problem required the printer be taken
to a service center.

I called the nearest service center and by the time I would have paid for
parts, labor and shipping both ways it was cheaper to by a new ML-1740. It
is on sale this week at Best Buy for $149.00 with a $50.00 mail in rebate.

So instead of $100.00 to repair my old ML-1210 I got a new ML-1740 for
$99.00.

All told.... I don't think a Samsung is worth repairing but you can re-fill
the toner cartridge for about $7.00.

On 17 Aug 2004 23:19:40 GMT, Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:

> Considering the cost, I'm debting whether to stock up a replacement cart
> or look for a Samsung 1710, which goes on sale for $100 once in a while.

The ML-1740 replaces the 1710, offering the same specs but looking
substantially nicer and also including a parallel port for those who need
it.

> It all depends on how durable a Samsung printer is, and whether its made
> (esp. the fuser) to last through several toner carts before dying.

According to Samsung it is; I haven't had mine long enough to comment :)

- Anthony