Sign in with
Your question

System will reboot instead of shutting down

Last response: in Windows 7
February 24, 2011 3:02:18 AM

I'm not sure which category to put this into, because I've been thinking until now that my problem is software related.

I've just built my own PC and installed Windows 7 64-bit. It was working great for the first few weeks, then about a week ago, after some Windows updates, the computer refused to shut down. When pressing the shut down button, which is set to shut down not reboot, it would reboot instead. I decided to just reinstall Windows 7 completely. It worked.

Yesterday after recent updates to Win7 the computer once again stopped shutting down. Every time I try, it will begin to shut down and then will immediately reboot itself. This time the complete Win7 reinstall did nothing.

Here's what I've done:
1. total reinstall (worked first time, not second time)
2. reinstall with no updates, choosing non-security and non-critical updates
3. system restore to the point of first install --still no good.
4. gone through windows itself and had it check for anything damaged and fix it

Is this a software or a hardware problem? I can't find anything about this in any forums. Help!!
If reinstalling Windows 7 again doesn't remedy the problem, what will?

thanks for any suggestions!

More about : system reboot shutting

a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2011 4:44:55 AM

Reset your cmos/bios
Check frontpanel connections on mobo.
Power and reset leads are in proper pins.
m
l
February 24, 2011 11:40:17 AM

I'll try resetting cmos/bios. I haven't opened the case up to change any leads, so I can't imagine they're reversed suddenly by themselves.
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2011 12:20:43 PM

You can also try and disable automatic restart on system failure to see if this is caused by a system crash.

Then we can reassess if it's caused by a hardware problem (faulty RAM, etc) or maybe some ACPI setting in BIOS.
m
l
February 24, 2011 1:56:17 PM

Just disabled automatic restart, and it reboots when I go to the start menu and shut down. Poo.
m
l
February 24, 2011 2:47:17 PM

What motherboard do you have ? Have you installed ALL OS specific drivers especially the chipset related ones ?? Can you link a screenshot of your devices in device manager especially the ones under "system devices" category ??

The thing that puzzles me is that it USED to work so that may well point to some windows update but still u say even after a clean install it still happens ? When you say clean you mean OS & motherboard manufacturer drivers ?? OS & windows update drivers ? Just OS ??

Problem could very well be caused by windows update drivers (don't trust them so would avoid installing them) or entire lack of any drivers in the first place.

Can you please rectify on the above ?
m
l
February 24, 2011 3:29:05 PM

I reinstalled win7 from within win7, overwriting all programs and files. It looks like I have a folder now that says Windows.old, so it kept some information from that. I'm sorely tempted to install the OS by booting from the cd.

I'm borrowing a mobo from a friend (my mobo burned out and am waiting for Sandy Bridge). It's the nForce 790i Ultra SLI (132-CK-NF79).

I haven't installed any drivers for the mobo--have to find them online (I'm going to note here that I hadn't installed mobo drivers before and the system was fine).

I've reinstalled OS and windows update drivers. There are so many drivers and security updates for windows live update that I wouldn't know which ones are actually important and which ones I can skip. I've gone completely without the update drivers and that didn't work. I just installed all of windows updates/security updates, and I still get a reboot from the shut down button from windows start menu.

I've linked two screenshots; one of my system devices and one of everything else. Interesting how my one processor shows up many times!!

m
l
February 24, 2011 3:42:07 PM

kivarocket said:
I reinstalled win7 from within win7, overwriting all programs and files. It looks like I have a folder now that says Windows.old, so it kept some information from that. I'm sorely tempted to install the OS by booting from the cd.

I'm borrowing a mobo from a friend (my mobo burned out and am waiting for Sandy Bridge). It's the nForce 790i Ultra SLI (132-CK-NF79).

I haven't installed any drivers for the mobo--have to find them online (I'm going to note here that I hadn't installed mobo drivers before and the system was fine).

I've reinstalled OS and windows update drivers. There are so many drivers and security updates for windows live update that I wouldn't know which ones are actually important and which ones I can skip. I've gone completely without the update drivers and that didn't work. I just installed all of windows updates/security updates, and I still get a reboot from the shut down button from windows start menu.

I've linked two screenshots; one of my system devices and one of everything else. Interesting how my one processor shows up many times!!

]http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/7586/systemdevices.th.jpg
]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4900/computeru.th.jpg

Processor showing 4 times is normal as you CPU is quad core.

Also i wouldn't think that critical updates is the problem so would install those without hesitation. Not the driver related ones though. (only as last resort if nothing else worked)

My guess is that something is wrong with the drivers.

I know some things don't make sense that is why sometimes you have to try things out and see how things turn out.

Assuming that BIOS is reset to defaults, can you try and find drivers for motherboard manufacturer (chipset drivers).
Is there support for windows 7 ? If not you could try generic nforce drivers from nvidia's site but these may not work or cause even more problems as they are more generic. A good idea would be to take a system image backup with windows own utility.

All in all if I was you I would try and play around with chipset drivers and see how things go.

Of course that is my instinct and in no way am I sure that its not something else. That is what I would try though. :) 
m
l
February 24, 2011 4:12:41 PM

Okay, I'll try that...and this time I'll try a totally uber clean install booting from the disk.

Since the mobo is EVGA, is the chipset "nForce 790i Ultra SLI"? Would I get the chipset drivers from EVGA then? I think I found them but I want to make sure I download the right ones. :D 
m
l
February 24, 2011 4:15:44 PM

Yes, definetely try the EVGA ones if there are available! Chipset is nforce 790i. Good luck!
m
l
February 24, 2011 6:11:22 PM

Software updates: EVGA GeForce GTX465
nForce 790i Ultra SLI chipset drivers
BIOS/CMOS update
Creative Audigy Sound Blaster SE

I've reinstalled windows with a reformatted hard drive.
I've installed updates...mostly windows security updates.
I've updated BIOS/CMOS.
I've installed new drivers for my chipset.
I've checked the RAM.
I have not messed with the front panel connectors between when this trouble started and now.
I've unchecked the option for rebooting when errors occur.

Still this machine reboots every time I go to the Start menu to shut down. It reboots even when I log out THEN shut down.

What.The.Hell.
m
l
February 24, 2011 10:01:01 PM

Sorry to hear that :??: 

I think software cause is getting unlikely by now.

Next thing I would do is keep things simple, disconnect all peripherals and just boot with the basics keyboard, mouse, monitor, 1 stick or RAM, just a HDD, plain OS, etc as simple as possible. Then maybe try another PSU... You could really go on and on as long as you are still eager to find the problem. I know I am! :pt1cable: 

Sorry I can't be of any more help!
m
l
March 7, 2011 6:30:28 PM

After many long days...I have an update! Thanks to those who've helped me, especially you, noble!!

I wasn't having any luck figuring out the problem, but I agreed with noble that the likelihood it was a software problem was quickly fading. Just by luck today I came across another person with a similar problem and they discovered that if they turned off the monitor before shutting down, the computer would NOT reboot!

In fact, like my setup, they connected their monitor via DVI rather than VGA. Once they switched cables to VGA the problem disappeared!

WHEW. Okay, so now I've got it down to a monitor problem. I just bought the new ASUS VH236HL-P HDMI Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor and need to wait for a better motherboard with HDMI capabilities. Until then, I've been using a DVI cable...could there be settings that force the computer to reboot as long as the monitor is on?

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2011 3:12:08 AM

I'm not quite sure i understand how you're connecting the monitor.
I connect my display monitor through my gpu not my mobo back panel.
I'm pretty sure a GTX465 has a hdmi connection,use that,it's much better then anything a mobo will offer.
m
l
March 10, 2011 6:53:44 AM

Sorry for the delay! Just yesterday I heard also about a friend's pc showing similar behaviour.

He said that with dvi or HDMI he wouldn't get any blue screens but with VGA he did. It wasn't only during shutdown but also during normal use...

I have no idea what maybe causing this... Faulty video card ? Some static due to bad wiring or failing PSU ?

Beats me! I'm not so sure it could be the monitor though..

Glad you were able to bypass the problem :) 
m
l
March 10, 2011 10:40:17 AM

davcon said:
I'm pretty sure a GTX465 has a hdmi connection,use that,it's much better then anything a mobo will offer.

After many long days...I have an update! Thanks to those who've helped me, especially you, noble!!

I wasn't having any luck figuring out the problem, but I agreed with noble that the likelihood it was a software problem was quickly fading. Just by luck today nội thất fami nội thất 190, noi that faminoi that 190
http://www.noithat-fami.net http://www.noithat190.net.vn I came across another person with a similar problem and they discovered that if they turned off the monitor before shutting down, the computer would NOT reboot!

In fact, like my setup, they connected their monitor via DVI rather than VGA. Once they switched cables to VGA the problem disappeared!

WHEW. Okay, so now I've got it down to a monitor problem. I just bought the new ASUS VH236HL-P HDMI Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor and need to wait for a better motherboard with HDMI capabilities. Until then, I've been using a DVI cable...could there be settings that force the computer to reboot as long as the monitor is on?
m
l
March 17, 2011 4:04:25 PM

davcon said:

I'm connecting the monitor directly into the GPU. The motherboard I have now doesn't have an HDMI connection, so I'm waiting for Sandy Bridge to come out for me to get a better one. It's such a mystery! The monitor should not be able to force some kind of reboot.
m
l
March 17, 2011 4:04:52 PM

davcon said:

I'm connecting the monitor directly into the GPU. The motherboard I have now doesn't have an HDMI connection, so I'm waiting for Sandy Bridge to come out for me to get a better one. It's such a mystery! The monitor should not be able to force some kind of reboot.
m
l
!