mouse trailing off

I have been having a problemwith my mouse for some time now and can't come
up with a working solution myself. when I move the mouse it will move fine
but sometimes when I stop moving the mouse it keeps moving slowly in the
same direction i stopped moving in. It started with my wired mouse with a
ball, it was getting old so I thought maybe the internal wiring had gotten
faulty. I bought an optical mouse to replace it (also wired) and it is
still happening. I am running:

Windows XP pro service pack 2 (problem started while I was still running
SP1)
AMD Athlon 3000 (can't remember the motherboard type, I think it was a VIA
chipset but don't know the manufacturer)
512 MB memory
PS2 connection for the mouse

> I bought an optical mouse to replace it (also wired) and it is
> still happening.

Sounds like a driver problem to me... what kind of surface are you using it
on? Glass, for example, can mess up optical mice... but that doesn't explain
your old one.

Thank you for your help Jonba, I think I figured it out though, A few weeks
ago, the same time this started happening, I had unplugged everything from
the back of the box to fix my CD-Rom drive (I had broken the tray and had to
put it back on the track). When I put it back together my wife was rushing
me because she wanted me to go somewhere and I plugged in the keyboard both
to the USB and PS2 connections. when I discovered this, I unplugged the PS2
connection and everything seems fine now, I knew something was wrong because
SCROLL LOCK kept flashing on and off. Somehow, this must have interfered
with the mouse signals too.

Thanks for responding
Kevin