Two trackballs AND a spinner? + general trackb question

Is it possible to go with two trackballs and a spinner? I have an
Optipac but believe it's only cable of doing a trackball and a spinner
or maybe two of one or the other. Would I have to get anothe Optipac?
Can you even do that?

I'm planning on going with an Ipac4 and an Optipac as I just gutted my
old MAME cab and am just gonna go with a 4-player control panel.

Is it stupid to even have a two trackball setup? I'm thinking Marble
Madness is the only game that would utilize them both.
4 answers Last reply
More about trackballs spinner general trackb question

    I believe you can do 2 trackballs and one spinner but you'll need to
    cables comming from the Optipac and I think you have to connect via
    USB. I set my cab up with the Ipac4. From left to right:
    player 3 - Joystick, 3 buttons
    player 1 - joystick, 6 buttons
    center of control above player 1 & 2 - 3" happ trackball w/ 2 buttons
    above for mouse
    player 2 - joystick, 6 buttons
    player 4 - joystick, 3 buttons

    Player start buttons are above each players controls at the top of the
    control panel. I eventually want to add a spinner above player 2 and
    change player 1's joystick with one that has a fire button on top for
    games like tron and battlezone.

    Don
    NJ

    Thanks, Don. QUESTION: Does the position of the trackball -- being
    behind (or above) the player 1 & 2 sticks -- lead to any problems?
    I've seen a lot of panels that utilize that sort of design and it
    seems like it could be a little uncomfortable to have to reach or go
    between or above some sticks. Is it?

    Ditto a spinner.

    Thanks,
    Matt

    buck16 wrote:

    >Is it possible to go with two trackballs and a spinner? I have an
    >Optipac but believe it's only cable of doing a trackball and a spinner
    >or maybe two of one or the other. Would I have to get anothe Optipac?
    >Can you even do that?
    >
    >I'm planning on going with an Ipac4 and an Optipac as I just gutted my
    >old MAME cab and am just gonna go with a 4-player control panel.
    >
    >Is it stupid to even have a two trackball setup? I'm thinking Marble
    >Madness is the only game that would utilize them both.

    You can actually connect 2 trackballs AND 4 spinners with the standard
    opti-pac but ... there is a catch. You cannot actually use all of them
    simultaneously!. In other words, you can connect upto 8 axis but only be
    using 4 of them at any given time. The opti-pac automatically detects
    which interface is in use and activates that one as input. To change,
    simply don't move any of the tracksballs or spinners, wait a moment and
    then move the one you want to use.

    Simple. More information is on the Ultimarc website.

    Marble Madness, Rampart and Arcade Classics (Super Centipede and Missile
    Command II) are all dual trackball games.

    A dual-trackball, 4-player panel is going to be quite large!

    cheers,
    MichaelC

    Michael S Cox wrote:
    > buck16 wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to go with two trackballs and a spinner? I have an
    >> Optipac but believe it's only cable of doing a trackball and a spinner
    >> or maybe two of one or the other. Would I have to get anothe Optipac?
    >> Can you even do that?
    >>
    >> I'm planning on going with an Ipac4 and an Optipac as I just gutted my
    >> old MAME cab and am just gonna go with a 4-player control panel.
    >>
    >> Is it stupid to even have a two trackball setup? I'm thinking Marble
    >> Madness is the only game that would utilize them both.
    >>

    > You can actually connect 2 trackballs AND 4 spinners with the standard
    > opti-pac but ... there is a catch. You cannot actually use all of them
    > simultaneously!. In other words, you can connect upto 8 axis but only be
    > using 4 of them at any given time. The opti-pac automatically detects
    > which interface is in use and activates that one as input. To change,
    > simply don't move any of the tracksballs or spinners, wait a moment and
    > then move the one you want to use.
    >
    > Simple. More information is on the Ultimarc website.
    >
    > Marble Madness, Rampart and Arcade Classics (Super Centipede and Missile
    > Command II) are all dual trackball games.
    >
    > A dual-trackball, 4-player panel is going to be quite large!

    ......or he could just use a rotating panel (http://www.1uparcade.com /
    http://rebirth.dgthompson.com/cp.html / http://arcade.tomvanhorn.com /
    http://unclet.arcadecontrols.com/MomsArcade/MomsArcadeMain.html) for the
    two centre controllers.....

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    frizer@transumptiona.net
    contraregularity@fraternizationr.com
    planular@Coniumt.edu
    computational@grozetc.bt
    stiffrump@unfussedo.edu

Control Panel Games Trackball Video Games