Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Two trackballs AND a spinner? + general trackb question

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 5:18:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Is it possible to go with two trackballs and a spinner? I have an
Optipac but believe it's only cable of doing a trackball and a spinner
or maybe two of one or the other. Would I have to get anothe Optipac?
Can you even do that?

I'm planning on going with an Ipac4 and an Optipac as I just gutted my
old MAME cab and am just gonna go with a 4-player control panel.

Is it stupid to even have a two trackball setup? I'm thinking Marble
Madness is the only game that would utilize them both.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 5:56:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

I believe you can do 2 trackballs and one spinner but you'll need to
cables comming from the Optipac and I think you have to connect via
USB. I set my cab up with the Ipac4. From left to right:
player 3 - Joystick, 3 buttons
player 1 - joystick, 6 buttons
center of control above player 1 & 2 - 3" happ trackball w/ 2 buttons
above for mouse
player 2 - joystick, 6 buttons
player 4 - joystick, 3 buttons

Player start buttons are above each players controls at the top of the
control panel. I eventually want to add a spinner above player 2 and
change player 1's joystick with one that has a fire button on top for
games like tron and battlezone.

Don
NJ
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 9:48:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Thanks, Don. QUESTION: Does the position of the trackball -- being
behind (or above) the player 1 & 2 sticks -- lead to any problems?
I've seen a lot of panels that utilize that sort of design and it
seems like it could be a little uncomfortable to have to reach or go
between or above some sticks. Is it?

Ditto a spinner.

Thanks,
Matt

On 13 Jul 2005 13:56:57 -0700, "Don NJ" <piiifast@optonline.net>
wrote:

>I believe you can do 2 trackballs and one spinner but you'll need to
>cables comming from the Optipac and I think you have to connect via
>USB. I set my cab up with the Ipac4. From left to right:
>player 3 - Joystick, 3 buttons
>player 1 - joystick, 6 buttons
>center of control above player 1 & 2 - 3" happ trackball w/ 2 buttons
>above for mouse
>player 2 - joystick, 6 buttons
>player 4 - joystick, 3 buttons
>
>Player start buttons are above each players controls at the top of the
>control panel. I eventually want to add a spinner above player 2 and
>change player 1's joystick with one that has a fire button on top for
>games like tron and battlezone.
>
>Don
>NJ
Related resources
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:04:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

buck16 wrote:

>Is it possible to go with two trackballs and a spinner? I have an
>Optipac but believe it's only cable of doing a trackball and a spinner
>or maybe two of one or the other. Would I have to get anothe Optipac?
>Can you even do that?
>
>I'm planning on going with an Ipac4 and an Optipac as I just gutted my
>old MAME cab and am just gonna go with a 4-player control panel.
>
>Is it stupid to even have a two trackball setup? I'm thinking Marble
>Madness is the only game that would utilize them both.
>
>
You can actually connect 2 trackballs AND 4 spinners with the standard
opti-pac but ... there is a catch. You cannot actually use all of them
simultaneously!. In other words, you can connect upto 8 axis but only be
using 4 of them at any given time. The opti-pac automatically detects
which interface is in use and activates that one as input. To change,
simply don't move any of the tracksballs or spinners, wait a moment and
then move the one you want to use.

Simple. More information is on the Ultimarc website.

Marble Madness, Rampart and Arcade Classics (Super Centipede and Missile
Command II) are all dual trackball games.

A dual-trackball, 4-player panel is going to be quite large!

cheers,
MichaelC
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 9:56:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Michael S Cox wrote:
> buck16 wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to go with two trackballs and a spinner? I have an
>> Optipac but believe it's only cable of doing a trackball and a spinner
>> or maybe two of one or the other. Would I have to get anothe Optipac?
>> Can you even do that?
>>
>> I'm planning on going with an Ipac4 and an Optipac as I just gutted my
>> old MAME cab and am just gonna go with a 4-player control panel.
>>
>> Is it stupid to even have a two trackball setup? I'm thinking Marble
>> Madness is the only game that would utilize them both.
>>
>>
> You can actually connect 2 trackballs AND 4 spinners with the standard
> opti-pac but ... there is a catch. You cannot actually use all of them
> simultaneously!. In other words, you can connect upto 8 axis but only be
> using 4 of them at any given time. The opti-pac automatically detects
> which interface is in use and activates that one as input. To change,
> simply don't move any of the tracksballs or spinners, wait a moment and
> then move the one you want to use.
>
> Simple. More information is on the Ultimarc website.
>
> Marble Madness, Rampart and Arcade Classics (Super Centipede and Missile
> Command II) are all dual trackball games.
>
> A dual-trackball, 4-player panel is going to be quite large!

......or he could just use a rotating panel (http://www.1uparcade.com /
http://rebirth.dgthompson.com/cp.html / http://arcade.tomvanhorn.com /
http://unclet.arcadecontrols.com/MomsArcade/MomsArcadeM...) for the
two centre controllers.....

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

frizer@transumptiona.net
contraregularity@fraternizationr.com
planular@Coniumt.edu
computational@grozetc.bt
stiffrump@unfussedo.edu
!