How to make a TV-out cable?

I bought a Biostar M7NCG-400 mobo. Its a AMD board with onboard audio,
LAN and a Geforce4 MX.

Anyway, the board has what is called a "TV-OUT header" - meaning I
need to connect a connecting cable to connect to my TV. Something like
a USB header on which you plug the USB connectors. Its a four pin
square shaped header between the Nforce2 IGP and the Winbond I/O chip,
JTV1 printed next to it.

Check this URL:

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD02NTcmdXJsX3BhZ2U9Mg==

Do u see it - between the left white stub of the golden heatsink and
the 2 black capacitors? In the manual, the four pins are labelled as:
Pin 1 - TV_Y
Pin 2 - Ground
Pin 3 - Ground
Pin 4 - TV_C.

(This is a S-video format header: TV_Y = Luminance part of video
signal Luminance + sync, or Brightness and TV_C = Chrominance part of
video signal (Color))

Now the question is - since there was no cable bundled with the board
- where can I get hold of such a cable? I was planning to make one.
Any ideas guys?

--
http://www.tafkas.org

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:07:54 +0200, "Christian Stade-Schuldt"
<defcon4@gmx.net> wrote:

>I bought a Biostar M7NCG-400 mobo. Its a AMD board with onboard audio,
>LAN and a Geforce4 MX.
>
>Anyway, the board has what is called a "TV-OUT header" - meaning I
>need to connect a connecting cable to connect to my TV. Something like
>a USB header on which you plug the USB connectors. Its a four pin
>square shaped header between the Nforce2 IGP and the Winbond I/O chip,
>JTV1 printed next to it.
>
>Check this URL:
>
>http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD02NTcmdXJsX3BhZ2U9Mg==
>

>Do u see it - between the left white stub of the golden heatsink and
>the 2 black capacitors? In the manual, the four pins are labelled as:
>Pin 1 - TV_Y
>Pin 2 - Ground
>Pin 3 - Ground
>Pin 4 - TV_C.
>
>(This is a S-video format header: TV_Y = Luminance part of video
>signal Luminance + sync, or Brightness and TV_C = Chrominance part of
>video signal (Color))
>
>Now the question is - since there was no cable bundled with the board
>- where can I get hold of such a cable? I was planning to make one.
>Any ideas guys?

I too have one of those M7NCG boards and had thought about
the TV out cable, since mine didn't come with one either.

I have not made the cable yet but will share my initial
plans on how I planned construct it, before I abandoned the
idea due to availability (see the link at the bottom). If
nothing else the following is an idea, an example of one way
to whip up a dongle in a different situation where none can
be found.

1) Take a case rear slot cover plate and drill a 12mm
diameter hole in it, towards the end that screws down (will
flex less when stress is applied at that screw-down end).

2) Epoxy a spare PS2 port onto it. PS2 port will accept an
S-Video cable plug after the plastic key tab in the S-Video
plug is snapped off. There is still only one way (the
correct orientation) that the plug will fit in the PS2 port
after the key tab is broken off).

3) Take an S-Video plug pinout and compare to the PS2 port,
so you know which pin-leads on the PS2 port carry which
signals. Next consult the motherboard manual (or wherever),
which you appear to have done already, to determine the
pinout for the pin-header on the board.

4) Rummage though spare parts drawers looking for a cable
with only 4 pins, or at least not too many, small enough
that it can fit in space provided on the board. For example
a floppy cable is probably too big but a serial port dongle
might work, or a USB dongle, etc... the spare/unused holes
can be filled with epoxy to aid in orienting it now, and
later if someone else ever needed to plug it in. You can
buy such 4 pin sockets online, but unless you need other
misc parts at same time it may be cost prohibitive,
especially since there's an easier way.

The easier way:
http://www.google.com/froogle?q=Biostar+TV+Out+Cable

On a laptop the video out (s) is just a normal A/V cable but minus the A
(audio) one.
I just went into a hi-fi shop & he knocked on up in minutes while I waited.
Pop into your local comp store & have a look if that one on a laptop is the
same?
BruceM