Recent loss of peer-2-peer after crash Also need wireless ..

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 9, 2004 1:22:46 AM

My computer was able to do peer to peer networking without any
problem. I tried to upgrade my HD and crashed the computer and
had to format/reinstall everything.
After this, I could no longer use my p2p programs.
I tried on other computers on my home network and they couldn't
either, however, I never tried to p2p on the other computers
prior to "The Crash."
I tried to port(?), web(?), goto (maybe) my router, but I can't
remember the address and I changed it at some time in the distant
past. Just the IP address.
I still have full use of the internet on all my computers.

All these are scraped together systems so there is no one for me
to call. If I have to do someting major, I'd like to do it while
my computer is fresh and not much is installed so if I lose
anything it wouldn't be a problem.

I'm not very much up on networking, so any information would be
most helpful.

Hey!! I was able to "contact(?)" my router. I should have used
the gateway # and I was using the IP address.

Can anyone tell me what to change to enable p2p to work?
Do I have to force some port open?

Also is there some trick to getting wireless encryption to work?
When I enable WEP on my router ( and then on my laptop ) I lose
the ablity to connect to the net.
What do I put in for the "Key"? Do I just make something up?
Should I choose ANSI or HEX?
Whatever key I put in my router I put in my laptop, right?
It should be as easy as :
1) Enable WAP on Router and Laptop
2) Enter SAME key in router and laptop ( make sure same bit of
encryption is selected on both ie 64)

Is it as simple as that?
Perhaps my problem is the "Key". Can anyone help me with that?

Vic
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2004 6:57:18 AM

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 21:22:46 -0400, Vic
<Shafted@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My computer was able to do peer to peer networking without any
>problem. I tried to upgrade my HD and crashed the computer and
>had to format/reinstall everything.

??
Something is missing from this account of events, generally
upgrading a HD isn't a crash or format experience.

>After this, I could no longer use my p2p programs.

What exactly happened when you tried?

>I tried on other computers on my home network and they couldn't
>either, however, I never tried to p2p on the other computers
>prior to "The Crash."

Did they *not work* the same way?

>I tried to port(?), web(?), goto (maybe) my router, but I can't
>remember the address and I changed it at some time in the distant
>past. Just the IP address.
>I still have full use of the internet on all my computers.

As you mentioned below, getting the gateway IP is typically
the easiest way to get to router in simple/common setup.

>All these are scraped together systems so there is no one for me
>to call. If I have to do someting major, I'd like to do it while
>my computer is fresh and not much is installed so if I lose
>anything it wouldn't be a problem.

Support for this shouldn't have a lot to do with your
specific systems. So long as computer works otherwise,
including internet, it's more of an operating system
problem, unless you'd changed something relating to
networking, for example flash upgraded bios of motherboard
with integral network adapter and now it has a different MAC
address, OR used a different network card instead, AND the
router had assigned static IP by MAC to allow certain ports
to pass.

>I'm not very much up on networking, so any information would be
>most helpful.
>
>Hey!! I was able to "contact(?)" my router. I should have used
>the gateway # and I was using the IP address.
>
>Can anyone tell me what to change to enable p2p to work?
>Do I have to force some port open?

Crashing your computer and rebuilding should not require
changing anything on the router. If it worked before, leave
router set the same... UNLESS there's the
computer-has-different-MAC address issue I mentioned above.
If it was using DHCP for IP number (the PC was) but static
IP for the P2p ports, then try setting a static IP number
for that particular system, either in the operating system
or with the router if it has that ability (you may need know
the PC's mac address to do it via the router). You didnt'
mention the PC's operating system (yet).

>Also is there some trick to getting wireless encryption to work?
>When I enable WEP on my router ( and then on my laptop ) I lose
>the ablity to connect to the net.

You need same encryption key on both ends, otherwise read
the documentation for your router.

>What do I put in for the "Key"? Do I just make something up?
>Should I choose ANSI or HEX?
>Whatever key I put in my router I put in my laptop, right?
>It should be as easy as :
>1) Enable WAP on Router and Laptop
>2) Enter SAME key in router and laptop ( make sure same bit of
>encryption is selected on both ie 64)
>
>Is it as simple as that?
>Perhaps my problem is the "Key". Can anyone help me with that?

Yeah, it's that simple IF it works... make up a key.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2004 4:54:51 AM

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 02:57:18 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>What exactly happened when you tried?

I double click on Kpp and Kazaa ++ loads.
At the bottom it says connecting, and that is all I ever get,
Just "connecting'.

Please kind sir,
can you help me?
I get this on all of my home's computers when I try.

!