Will XP Like The Upgrade ?

I think it's time to upgrade my PC with new MB, CPU and RAM but now I
have Windows XP I'm not sure whether it will let me ! :)
Can anyone who has done this explain the best way to proceed ?
--
Muzz
Reply to muzz@hashmash.fsnet.co.uk

> I think it's time to upgrade my PC with new MB, CPU and RAM but now I have Windows XP I'm not sure whether it will let me ! :)
> Can anyone who has done this explain the best way to proceed ?

I've been haunting the main Windows XP group trying to learn the
ins and outs of XP, and have picked up some general information on
this matter.

If you bought an OEM version of Windows XP, you are probably out
of luck if you upgrade your motherboard, CPU and RAM. A change in
the motherboard is viewed by Microsoft as a different computer,
and an OEM version of the OS is only legal for the computer on
which it was first installed. It cannot be transferred to another
computer, not even by the person who bought it.

Having said that, if you only do the upgrade once, you may get
lucky and be able to talk yourself into a new activation over the
phone. I was just reading about a guy who built his own box,
installed an OEM version of XP, then later decided to upgrade, and
had some problems. He was able to reactivate XP a few times, but
then when he went one time to often, he was denied reactivation.

A full retail copy of XP is a different ballgame. You can transfer
this legally to another computer -- you just can't legally run it
on two computers at the same time. Since your upgrade would
constitute a new computer in Microsoft's eyes, you should have no
trouble reactivating following the upgrade.

Muzz wrote:
> I think it's time to upgrade my PC with new MB, CPU and RAM but now I
> have Windows XP I'm not sure whether it will let me ! :)
> Can anyone who has done this explain the best way to proceed ?

I upgraded some components and XP would install but would not
"activate". It said I was on a 30-day trial. However, it also gave me
a 1-800 number to call to get a new activation number. I called that
number and told them I changed some components and had to re-install XP
and they gave me a new number no problem right over the phone.

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"David Besack" <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote in message
> Muzz wrote:
>> I think it's time to upgrade my PC with new MB, CPU and RAM but now I
>> have Windows XP I'm not sure whether it will let me ! :)
>> Can anyone who has done this explain the best way to proceed ?
>
> I upgraded some components and XP would install but would not
> "activate". It said I was on a 30-day trial. However, it also gave
> me a 1-800 number to call to get a new activation number. I called
> that number and told them I changed some components and had to
> re-install XP and they gave me a new number no problem right over the
> phone.

Same here, but I've changed mobo and cpu several times, had to phone the
free number, but I was never asked why, just given a new activation
code, this is in the UK btw.

If you mean can I get away without re-unstalling - see a thread in
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd titled "motherboard for 2500 +
mobile" 6th Oct.

--
Apollo

In article <2spk4fF1nt6peU1@uni-berlin.de>, Apollo says...

> Same here, but I've changed mobo and cpu several times, had to phone the
> free number, but I was never asked why, just given a new activation
> code, this is in the UK btw.

<aol>
Me too, several times.
</aol>

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

In article <8QGyrDBni1ZBFwgO@bungdown.freeserve.co.uk>, Muzz says...
> I think it's time to upgrade my PC with new MB, CPU and RAM but now I
> have Windows XP I'm not sure whether it will let me ! :)
> Can anyone who has done this explain the best way to proceed ?

Best way is to re-format and re-install. Run the Activation Wizard and
you'll need to phone Microsoft for a new code. Quite painless.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

If you change your motherboard while running XP, you MUST reformat the
harddrive and do a clean install of the OS, or you will experience ongoing
nasty Registry errors. And you will need to call Microsoft to re-activate
your copy of XP.

--
DaveW

DaveW wrote:

> If you change your motherboard while running XP, you MUST reformat the
> harddrive and do a clean install of the OS, or you will experience ongoing
> nasty Registry errors.

Only DaveW does as he apparently doesn't know how to do it properly and
assumes everyone else will screw it up like he did.

DaveW wrote:

> If you change your motherboard while running XP, you MUST reformat the
> harddrive and do a clean install of the OS, or you will experience ongoing
> nasty Registry errors. And you will need to call Microsoft to re-activate
> your copy of XP.

Ummm... Plenty of people have upgraded and just did a Ghost image to get
everything on their new drive and get running again.

Stephen

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 04:19:03 +0100, Muzz <muzz@hashmash.fsnet.co.uk>
tortured a bunch of electrons for some unknown reason:

>I think it's time to upgrade my PC with new MB, CPU and RAM but now I
>have Windows XP I'm not sure whether it will let me ! :)
>Can anyone who has done this explain the best way to proceed ?

Best thing to do is do a new install. If you haven't activated XP in
the last 120 days, it can be done online. That's the way I did it
with XP Pro OEM when I upgraded from a p3 to a p4.

Stephen

Thanks for the info, although I may not need it now. She who must be
obeyed has now given me the go ahead to buy a new PC !